Schedule sync times & days with Microsoft Exchange?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by headcronie, Dec 11, 2015.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hey gang,

The Mrs. has found need to limit her work Exchange sync times. She is inundated with email, every single day. She finds herself viewing and replying to email on her days off, and is ultimately feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. This is the busiest part of the year for her, and she says she needs to be able to stop email from coming in on her days off, and after office hours. If there is an emergency, key people can text or call her.

We know about the "Do Not Disturb" hours that we have setup for night time. I did take a look for how to schedule Exchange sync times in iOS Mail settings, but nothing was overly apparent in this scope.

We want to be able to specify that no Exchange sync should happen on Fridays or Saturdays, as well as after hours Sunday through Thursday.

Am I missing something, or is this simply not available with the stock mail application? I know it is an option with Android.

Help me save her mind this Christmas season!

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

what email client is Mrs. hc using? I realize it's an iPhone, but I expect there are non-stock clients...on my S5, I use Nine for both work and my MSN email (won't work with any other providers), and it has exactly what you're looking for. I don't know if there is a similar-type client for the iWorld.....but that may be (your choice here) best or only way to go.

pre-post EDIT: I see it's iOS Mail...., still, an alternate client may be the only option

headcronie likes this.
  3. headcronie

I prefer to keep as much of a hands off approach to most things iOS, but alas, we're now a mixed family. I may just have to bring home my work issued ipad and mess around with the settings and apps. I don't want to mess with her work issued phone any more than I have to.

That will allow me to mess with the exchange sync settings a bit too.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Grok! as do I -- I'm the only non-iOS person at home, but other than what I see here or in the news, I don't really talk about advantages/differences at home.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Don't take this the wrong way, hc, but I'm sort of glad I can't help you with this one! ;)

My wife has work-issued Apple laptop, and I bought her the iPhone and iPad. I also bought an iPad for my daughter. It's all good stuff. My wife is using a 3rd party email client to get her work and personal emails. I don't know if it's the one I recommended from an old Lifehacker article, or if she got advice from a coworker. Anyway, I don't mind working on iOS devices, I just wish that when asked to help, it wasn't a crisis! And, of course, when it doesn't work, it's my fault. :rolleyes:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  7. headcronie

Ugh. Who in their right mind wants email in their face every waking moment? That is an absurd omission on the part of Apple.

Sent from my Samsung Note IV

8. headcronie

Still have not found an app to do this. I find that really troubling. What better way to keep people interacting with their iThings, and increase their dependency! Make it impossible to shut off email, so your boss can contact you at any point in the day, without regard to if you are working, if it is your day off, or not. Beep, beep, notification, better check me! Way to groom a generation of addicts. :mad:

jigwashere likes this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's why some companies (mostly in Europe) shut down their email servers on weekends to leave their employees alone.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. headcronie

That would never happen where I work, or where the Mrs. works.
    I can't shut down Google. She can't shut down Exchange.

At least Android offers you the ability to schedule sync windows.

Hopefully she requests a smarter phone and ditches this sad excuse for a smartphone on her next upgrade.

scjjtt likes this.