SCH-i405 optimization/replacement suggestions?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by legsilver, May 28, 2015.

1. legsilver

legsilver Mobile Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is having a good week so far and is looking forward to a great weekend. I am currently an SCH-i405 (Stratosphere of some sort) user, and am not satisfied with my phone. It is very selective with the chargers it wants to charge with, I experience lag....

Is there a way I could improve my phone? When I go to settings, it says "Your system is currently up to date"

Any suggestions on how I could optimize my phone?

REPLACEMENT.....

Alternatively, I was thinking of replacing my phone with either an Iphone (sorry for the cross thread contamination), or getting another somewhat no frills replacement (I guess that contradicts the Iphone). I'm looking for a phone that I can use to check my email and other internet capabilities (including facebook), listen to music, and also a FUNCTIONAL phone. One that WORKS WELL, and perhaps one that is durable (though I guess I could just get a good case and take good care of my phone). I don't need something super fancy

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Sam

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welcome to Brighthand, Sam

a reset of the phone won't help with the charger issue, but in general doing a factory reset is a good step in adding some zip! back to your phone. if you got it when it came out (2012) it's probably collected things to slow it down -- apps you no longer use, and bits of apps that you tried and uninstalled -- a factory reset will clean that stuff out. However, a factory reset will erase *all* your apps and data, so take steps to backup as much as you can first. To backup just the apps, you can use App Backup and Restore <===link I've heard that some people use Helium which also backs up data, not only apps. if you're rooted, I'd suggest Titanium Backup

regarding the charger, a replacement is cheap -- I've bought them on Amazon for less than $5, including free shipping.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. legsilver

legsilver Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks, once I backup my apps with App Backup and restore, what do I do with the files? I went to my "files" folder and tried to select every single one of them and then upload the whole lot to google drive.....

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Backup/Restore apps ideally save their files to a removable memory card (depending on the version of Android, it may be named extSdCard [in 4.1.2 or 4.4.2] or sdcard [in 2.3.4]), since if they use internal memory, the saved apps would be erased when a factory reset is performed. Anything on the removable memory card is untouched during a factory reset.

otoh, if you do not have a removable memory card (assuming that App Backup & Restore lets you run without one -- I think it will), everything it saves is in a folder called App_Backup_Restore; the entire folder should be saved to your laptop or to cloud storage. I personally opt for my laptop rather than the cloud, since it's faster, and I have full control over the files (I also have removable memory cards, microSDHC, since my phones all have them, and I've set up App Backup & Restore to use the one in the phone).

After the phone is factory reset, one of the first apps I'd reinstall is App Backup & Restore, so the other apps can then be reinstalled -- in my experience, the easist way to do that is to download/install it from Google Play. Please keep in mind that App Backup & Restore will be looking for the folder it created (App_Backup_Restore), so no need for concern if you haven't restored your copy and it says no files are Archived (actually, it says "No item listed") -- once you've restored that folder (from laptop or cloud) to wherever you copied it from, App Backup & Restore will list the apps for you to reinstall the next time you run it. If you have done this using the removable memory card, you should not see that message, since it will already have access to the folder, if that is where you saved the files during backup.

hth, RA -- if you have other questions, ask.

EDIT: forgot to mention that you should backup your contacts, too. since you're on Verizon, you should be able to do this using their built-in utility. Ideally, the utility runs in the background periodically, but I wouldn't leave it to chance. From your Homepage, go into Settings and scroll down to Accounts, tap on the Backup Assistant Plus account (it may be called something different but similar on your phone). You can choose via checkbox Contacts, and then tap Backup now -- again, the exact wording may be different from what I see.

Also in settings is Back up and reset -- this lets you do a backup to/of, most often, your Google account. At the bottom of that screen is the Factory data reset........

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    scjjtt and jigwashere like this.