Sandisk 16GB CF card - a warning

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by neillm, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neillm

neillm Mobile Deity

I bought a Sandisk 16GB Extreme III CF card for my HP 214 and man does it burn the battery! I'm losing about 12% overnight with it switched off.
    With my 2GB card I was getting around 7 hours runtime, now I'm down to 4.5. The price you pay for capacity I guess!

The "Set CF card power in sleep mode" power option doesn't seem to help either.

2. imported_Ollie

imported_Ollie Member

So far every CF card I have tried burns about 2% per hour in the off state. I have not found the sleep mode to make any difference. I now remove a CF card unles I have the device powered.

3. the_rangdo

the_rangdo Mobile Evangelist

I only have a 2GB CF card right now and the set CF card power option is off. My 210 has been unplugged for 6 hours and still reads 100% charge.

4. neillm

neillm Mobile Deity

I guess the problem is the 16GB card has considerably more silicon in it. I was expecting some hit, but I am surprised and a bit disappointed at how big a hit it's turned out to be.
    My old Sandisk 2GB CF used to burn about 4% overnight in standby and gave me about 1.5-2 hours more runtime.
    Is anyone seeing similar with very large capacity SD cards?

5. SHC

SHC Mobile Deity

Strange. I've got an 8GB Sandisk Extreme II card in mine. I unplugged it from the charger at 7am, retrieved my mail, updated the weather, updated AvantGo and Newsbreak all with WIFI, read mail etc, used PI for a few minutes and right now it says 95%.

6. neillm

neillm Mobile Deity

I've opened a support call with Sandisk. However, a friend of mine bought the same card and is seeing the same issue with his 214, so I don't think it's a fault with my card.

I'm also seeing a very irritating bug. If I unplug and plugin the CF card all the apps installed on the CF card stop working. If I fire up Resco File Explorer I can see that I now have CF Card and CF Card 2. The HP is seeing it as a different card. I have to delete CF Card and then unplug and plugin the card a 2nd time to get it correctly listed under CF Card and all the apps working again.
    It does this every time I unplug and plugin the CF card. Very annoying.

7. davidbec

davidbec Mobile Deity

Did you all try the off option that "the rangdo" mentioned.

8. aikidoka

aikidoka Mobile Enthusiast

Most probably you have another program tries to access the cf card while it doesn't unplugged. A good example is the default mail program when you set it to store the attachments in external storage. Perhaps the email is included in the sync items.

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

This is very odd. A flash memory card shouldn't draw that much power even when the device is turned on. I'm thinking that this may be some kind of software bug.

10. Dyvim

Dyvim Geek

I agree. I've never had a problem with CF cards plugged in 24/7 in my Toshiba e800 or e830 and I set those to constantly power the card even in sleep mode (uses very little power) to avoid problems with the \CF Card directory disappearing.

I also find it very odd that it is proportional to the card size. I don't think capacity should make a difference. I've never seen any differences in battery life between using 1/2/4/8 GB SanDisk Ultra II CF cards in my e830 (all same brand, same product line).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.