Samsung Took the Best Part of BlackBerry and Made It a Case

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jamison Cush, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Seacrest's keyboard ran into intellectual property trouble because of the specific shape of the keys and the look of the keyboard, which really aped Blackberry, not merely because it turned a slate smartphone into a portrait-keyboard smartphone. Samsung's flat keys, while arguably not as ergonomic, won't run into the same IP problems.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

So close...and yet so far.

It wastes screen space by necessity (it relies on the capacitive digitizer surface to work), and it's not backlit, making it useless in dark environments.

I want a physical keyboard like that pretty badly and have even been searching high and low for a slide keyboard case that'll fit my Note 4, to no avail. But not like this, and certainly not if it means having to downgrade to a Note 5 just to use it, especially considering how the keyboard functions in the first place with the capacitive passthrough.

Maybe that rumored BlackBerry Venice will be the ticket. Just throw in a Wacom pen of the sort the Galaxy Notes use, a removable battery, and it would be practically perfect.

As for the Graffiti mentions here, I would use that (less screen space needed and I can thumb through it blindly), but there doesn't appear to be any clipboard (cut/copy/paste) integration, and even worse off, I can't customize my strokes.

Note that I considered TealScript absolutely ESSENTIAL for the ol' m100, as it allowed me to combine the best of Graffiti 1 (single strokes for everything rather than being forced to dot my Is and cross my Ts) and 2 (no need to shift for capital letters or certain punctuation marks).
    http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm

The moment someone remakes that for Android and have it integrate seamlessly into the OS, cut/copy/paste and everything, is the moment they can shut up and take my money...or, more likely, I'll just have to learn how to program it myself.