Samsung S5 phone can pair with BT but not connect

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abenn, Jun 28, 2019.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

It has removable batteries, but I've always used it with its mains PSU, with no batteries in it.

I've had a reply from Philips, but they only refer me back to the manual, which makes no mention of a factory reset option.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Have you tried pairing/playing the speaker with the iPad (or anything else, like a laptop)?

scjjtt likes this.
  3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

In the past I used to power up the speaker and its BT light would flash. I would then switch on BT on my phone, which was 'paired' with it a few years ago, and it would connect after a few seconds even if no music was yet being played. This trip it was still paired, but wouldn't connect, so after a couple of days trying and failing to connect I instructed my phone to unpair. When my phone then searched again it found no bluetooth to pair with.

I've tried pairing the speaker with my iPad, but no luck. To check that my phone's BT is actually working, I managed to pair it with my iPad without any problem, but when I try to get them to connect, I get a 'Connection Unsuccessful' message on my iPad, but no message on my phone.

My feeling is the speaker is the problem, and Philips have now asked me what version of Android and Bluetooth my phone is using, as if that might be the issue. Only thing is, I can't figure where to find my BT version -- it's not shown in the 'About device' section in my Settings menu.

Quite frankly, I might give up on this one, for I've found a way to transfer my phone's music files to my iPad, so I can play them direct from there without needing the external speaker.

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The BT version is not shown on the phone itself AFAIK. Maybe it's on the box or printed manual. If neither is available, you can search GSM Arena for your phone model specs. There you'll find the BT version. But frankly, this should make no difference, because your phone did connect to the speaker before. You may as well tell Philips that the BT is version 4.0 and still that won't shed light on the problem.

I remember that I had a similar problem with some BT headset or speaker. The manual provided a means to clear BT pairings on the device itself. Not sure if this is the same as a reset, but if this operation is available in your speaker it may solve this problem.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Philips have replied again and, among other things, have told me that my iPad probably won't be able to connect to the speaker (one of the tests I tried) because iOS uses a 'different type' of Bluetooth. That possibly explains why I can pair my Android phone to my iPad, but not connect it.

They've confirmed that my phone is using BT 4.0, which should be compatible with the speaker so, now that I can ignore the red herring of my phone not connecting to my iPad, the logical conclusion is that my speaker is broken. As I said earlier, I'm going to give up on it, so thanks for all your input.

P.S. If what they said about iOS BT being different is correct, when I need a new tablet it'll probably be an Android one!

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't think Philips told you any useful information. Your iPad is very likely capable of pairing with anything an Android device can. While you can pair the iPad with the phone, it's not like you can use the iPad as a speaker. You could, however, use it for file transfers, etc. But, for filesharing, I believe you'd need to install a special app on the iPad. I've paired my Android devices with my daughter's iPad and did just that. :)

As far as the Philips speaker being broken -- that's the most plausible explanation at this point. I'm not even convinced of that, quite honestly, but you've done your due diligence so maybe getting a new speaker is the right move. Good luck! :newpalm:

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I do think early on, the Apple Bluetooth was different (more limited) than some others. I know early on, here on BH even, people mentioned that some BT headsets wouldn't pair with some Apple devices. Apple expanded it at some point to a 'full Bluetooth stack' or something.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.