Samsung S5 phone can pair with BT but not connect

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abenn, Jun 28, 2019.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I'm visiting the in-laws for a while, where I keep a Philips bluetooth speaker that I use to play the music from my S5 via bluetooth. This visit it wouldn't connect.

To determine whether the phone or the speaker is at fault I switched on bluetooth on my iPad and was easily able to pair my S5 with it (never done before) but, even though each device correctly shows the other, they won't connect.

That suggests to me that my phone's faulty. Other than taking it to a repair centre, is there anything I can do to sort it?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Disclaimer: below works/applies to Android 5.0
    try this: go into the BT settings, turn on BT if it was off; look for your BT speaker, click its' gear setting on the right, click unpair. Make sure your S5 is visible to other devices, then scan and select your speaker, to pair. this worked for me, just now.

EDIT: just re-read your post -- if my above doesn't work, see if the iPad and the speaker can pair; it might be the speaker at fault. I believe that connecting only 'happens' when there is interaction between the 2 devices, such as sending a file.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

BT is terribly finicky and frustrating in my experience. Try having your phone forget the speaker, then re pair it from scratch.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I've already "forgotten" the speaker, and now my phone can't detect its BT, so can't re-pair with it. That's why my first thought was the speaker is faulty.

But then, as a second check, I set my iPad's BT into transmit mode, and my phone detected it immediately, and paired with it, as confirmed by my phone and my iPad. But, having paired, it just won't connect.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

What brand speaker is it? You might look for a way to factory reset it. It's possible that the speaker is only able to pair with two devices and it still thinks it's paired with your phone. That means the speaker needs to forget your phone, too.

Like I said -- BT implementations are very often terrible. I've had great success with BT devices over the years, but also incredibly stupid frustrations. The latest is using my phone with my car's integrated BT. Right in the middle of a phone call, it will randomly disconnect the BT, then reconnect. My old phone worked fine for calls, but couldn't share all the contacts with my car. It's just so inconsistent. And don't get me started on all the crappy BT headphones and earbuds I've gone through, and the difficulties I've had using them with more than one device. I've gotten to the point that I have dedicated BT headphones for each device (2 phones, Chromebook and desktop PC).

scjjtt likes this.
  6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

My speaker is a Philips, but it's so old it no longer features on their web site. I already told my phone to 'forget' it, thinking that a new scan might connect, but it doesn't detect any BT device except my iPad. I'll investigate how to factory reset the speaker.

In the meantime I've just tried to connect my iPad to the speaker, but it doesn't detect it. So of the three devices, iPad has paired successfully with my S5 phone, but refuses to connect to it; and neither iPad nor S5 can detect the Philips speaker. As you say, frustrating.

scjjtt likes this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Just another thing to check: some BT devices will remember the last device they were connected to, and will reconnect with them automatically even if another device attempts to connect with them. My wife has a Phillips Fidelio speaker (abenn's mention of the brand reminded me of it) , and it will always connect with her phone. If she wants to connect another device, she must first turn off BT on any other device in our home (including her and my phones) , only then will the speaker connect with the other device. This Phillips speaker won't be visible to other devices if it's already connected to one, and since it autoconnects at power on, often it seems something is wrong with BT or the phone, etc. We just have to remember to turn BT off on every nearby device, then we can pair and connect the Phillips speaker properly. Finicky? Yes, quite.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  8. jigwashere

Try this: Press and hold both + and On/Off button on the speaker at the same time for about 7 seconds until the speaker responds. That should reset it. Then, slide the switch on the speaker towards Bluetooth symbol. The Bluetooth indicator flashes in blue. Try pairing with your phone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I'll try the power and the + button and see if that does anything, but my speaker doesn't have a BT button -- it just autodetects like raspabalsa has described and, up until now, auto-connected to my phone. The BT light flashes when I first power up, and then goes solid if it makes a connection.

Edit: My speaker is AS351/05. I've tried power button with + button and with - button, but no change. I've read the manual and find no mention of a factory reset, so I've contacted Philips support. Thanks to all of you for your time and suggestions.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Total cold guess, but does this speaker have removable batteries or is it the rechargeable kind? If you can remove the battery(ies), try doing that for an extended period of time and then reinserting them. Sort of a cold reset.