Samsung Gear Live Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jamison Cush, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Moderator

Android Wear launches with the Samsung Gear Live, a smart watch and operating system combo that represents Google's foray into the wearables market. Can this Android Wear smart watch kickstart the market? Read this Gear Live review to find out.

Read the full content of this Article: Samsung Gear Live Review

Related Articles:

Android Wear Review

Samsung Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit Review

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8): Which is Android's Current King?

Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: The Blockbuster Phone

Moms, Dads, & Grads: What Is the Best Smartphone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Seems to me that a display that is clearly visible in sunlight is a minimum requirement for this class of device. Even that doesn't guarantee that it is useful or that people will adopt it, but without an always visible screen there doesn't seem to be a point.

weegie and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Jamison Cush

Agreed, and it's a major major major drawback. I was dumbfounded when I first realized there is no ambient light sensor on the Gear Live, and no voice command to up the brightness. It's almost worthy of a facepalm.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Agreed on the brightness issue. That's a baffling omission. Though the auto brightness adjustment on my S3 absolutely kills the battery life (I keep auto-brightness off as a result), so I wonder if Samsung's software for it is less efficient than it could be, and they left it off to improve the watch's battery life.

As for this:

No disagreement on the faux leather, but I thought the Droid branding jab at Motorola was unfair. The Moto 360 is part of the "Moto" line, not the "Droid" line, and the Moto line has always had attractive and understated design (my favorite being the wood-backed Moto X). Not to mention the Moto 360 itself is pretty drool-worthy design-wise.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree, the crack on the Droid seems out of place; but it's subjective and what the author might think.

This seems to be a Catch-22: the OLED display is bad in bright outdoor light; but good for battery life. A more conventional display (which I prefer) might not be possible until battery tech gets better.

6. Jamison Cush

The Droid crack was really targeted specifically at Droid -- the red-and-black-Michael-Bay-Transformers aesthetic that began with the original Motorola Droid and continued right up through the recent Motorola Droid Mini. In fairness, I should have been more specific, because "Droid" is more of a Verizon brand than anything, and HTC has had its share of Droid devices. Apologies for for not being clear there -- in this line of work, it's a cringe-worthy sin.

Mitlov likes this.
  7. Jamison Cush

I think that battery is the biggest limiting factor in mobile tech. I don't follow it as much as I should, but does anyone know of any battery tech advances ready for consumer consumption that could alter the mobile landscape?

8. EdmundDantes

I've recently heard of a breakthrough that might double battery life. That would be big for wearables.

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

There's always something on the horizon; when and if it pans out though, is anyone's guess. The best chance may still be lithium ion batteries using silicon nanowire anodes. These are supposed to allow for storing 2 to 10 times the power of conventional graphite anodes. But commercialization has kept getting pushed back; they were supposed to start manufacturing in 2012, then 2014, now they're aiming at 2015.

10. EdmundDantes

I remember when some Israeli company demoed a battery that worked with air and was meant to be disposable. It had a pierced case and you attached it to a Star-tac (yes, it was that long ago). It contained some kind of catalyst that when open to the air generated power. When it was spent, you just threw it away. I have no idea what happened to that.