Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by jigwashere, Mar 28, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My son hasn't used his 8" Tab S2 in years, apparently, so I've inherited it. I just plugged it in, so it'll be a while before I get a chance to play with it. I expect it might need a battery replacement, if not now, in the near future. It looks VERY easy to do that (pop off the back, unplug the old battery and plug in the new one), but I'll have to find a good battery source. LineageOS 17.1 is out and doesn't look too buggy, so I'll have to look into that. I haven't rooted a device in a very long time (and was never that good at it), so I'll likely have a few questions. (I did ODIN stock ROM onto my son's Galaxy S10 when it failed to downgrade from the OneUI 2 beta. :)) Anyway, I just thought I'd start a thread and start playing (instead of doing the things I'm supposed to be doing). :newpalm:

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Fully charges and booted up with my google account. I haven't had a tablet in a long time, and this Tab2 seems awesome. :)

Before I flash a ROM, should I make a backup of the stock ROM? If so, what's the best/easiest way to do that?

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

My Original Tab S (10.5") still runs fine-- battery goes down a little faster than I'd like, but it is still pretty good. Lineage OS 14.1 is what mine is running, even though it is "unofficial" at this point. It even keeps my security patches up to date (well, Feb 05, 2020 so far).

The only way to back up the original stock ROM is to flash TWRP and take a Nandroid backup of it. I no longer have mine. It has been so long since I did Odin with mine, I don't remember very much about it. I assume I used Odin to get TWRP onto my tablet, but I don't even remember that. If my setup ever fails, I'm probably in trouble. However, I know I did it using guides from XDA.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I finally found time to play. I flashed TWRP and made a Nandroid backup to a microSD card. I then proceeded to flash Lineage OS 17.1 and ran into problems (it gets hung up on the boot animation). Anyway, I tried to restore my backup, but only the system partition is showing -- it doesn't look like the boot and data partitions were backed up. I'm guessing the data partition doesn't really matter, but the boot does. As I recall, those partitions were automatically checked when I did the backup -- I can't image that I would've unchecked them. It's so weird.

5. Hook

When you installed Lineage, did you delete userdata. Not getting past the boot screen is a typical symptom for not wiping userdata.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Move any files you want to keep to your External MicroSD Card – ! Or you will lose them !
    2. Download your LineageOS Rom and GApps Package,
    3. Move your LineageOS Rom and GApps Package to the external MicroSD storage,
    4. Boot into Recovery Mode,
    5. Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select On (enable tick) for Dalvik / Art Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache,
    6. Swipe to Wipe at Bottom of Screen,
    7. Back to Main start screen,
    8. Wipe > Format Data,
    9. Type 'Yes' and press blue checkmark at the bottom-right corner,
    10. Go Back to Main Start Screen to Install Rom and GApps,
    11. After you have finished installing the Rom and GApps > Wipe Cache/Dalvik > Swipe to Wipe,
    12. Reboot System! Enjoy!

EDIT: Dang....I forgot to 'Enjoy!' ;)

7. Hook

Yup, those look like the right steps. Strange.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I have nothing useful to add, except that it's great to see these step-by-steps again... it seems in the good old days we'd have at least one every week. :newpalm:

Hope you enjoy your new toy, jig!

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The whole process sounds simple, but it's been a struggle for me. I think it's because there is no one place that has a complete, step-by-step process. What's missing from the steps I listed above? Well, for starters, it's possible the bootloader needed to be updated (although I'm not sure). I know that when I first booted up the S2 it went through various updates, so I think everything should have been up-to-date, but I don't know. The ROM is in its early stages, so there are some bugs, and some of them manifest at the first boot up. Or, in my case apparently, the second, third, fourth, etc. I did finally get LineageOS 17.1 (Pie) installed with a very minimal version of Gapps ("Nano?"). Apps were crashing all over the place at first, but everything seems to have settled down with the exception of the Android Setup app. That one keeps trying to run and crashes. I've tried a couple of things (disabling it and running it in Safe Mode, for example). I backed up my Nova Launcher settings from my phone and restored them on the tablet. That was kind of cool! Obviously, I don't want to maintain some of the settings, and there are app shortcuts for Moto-specific apps and/or apps I won't/can't use on the tablet. I'm doing some clean up, mostly playing, and of course, dealing with interruptions from my stupid job. :D

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  10. Hook

Just a thought. I went over to the XDA Tab S2 forums and you might want to look at the unofficial LOS 14.1. That's what I use on my Tab S.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s2/development/rom-lineageos-14-1-samsung-galaxy-tab-t3876940

Yes, it's Nougat, but I know with the Tab S that one is very stable and is well maintained, while LOS 15, 16 ans 17 have all had problems. 14 even gets current security updates. Read the last few pages of the thread to see what people are currently saying about it. It's a different developer than dor my Tab S, but it seems good on a (probably too) quick skim.

You also might be right about needing a new bootloader for Oreo (I don't think it changed for Pie of 10, but don't know).