Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 slowing down

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by abenn, Sep 10, 2017.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for a few years now, and it seems to be slowing down when using the internet via WiFi. I suspect this is due to a combination of bloated apps -- most of which I never use, but can't remove because they're part of Google's or Samsung's software bundles -- and web sites which load and display lots of ads and non-functional graphics.

Will using an SD card, and transferring all apps that can be transferred, help with the speed issue? Also, I notice that some apps that can't be deleted can be "disabled" -- will this improve things at all?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Disabiling built-in apps will help, probably a lot. But be careful not to disable anything that your device may need to operate properly. Most social stuff such as Facebook, Google+, Hangouts (or whatever it's called now), Twitter, etc, can be disabled without problem. Google's own stuff (Movies, Books, Games, etc) can be disabled if yo don't plan to use it. Some go as far as removing all Google stuff, including Gmail, but that's up to you. Disabling apps will remove whatever storage they have used for updates and data, will unload them from RAM, and will hide the app from the drawer. The disabled app will just sit there doing nothing and consuming nothing.

As for ads, they're an intgegral part of the Android experience :rolleyes: . You can install an ad-blocker to help with this. There are ad-blockers for rooted and non-rooted devices. If your Tab 2 is not rooted you may want to try AdGuard, it's a subscription based ad blocker. Works very well on my devices. I very much dislike ads, so I stay away from sites that abuse them, and mostly use paid apps instead of the free, ad-supported ones. That way I keep my device clear of distractions and also support the developer.

Hope this helps.

3. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Yes that does help raspabalsa. I presume it will help if I remove updates for the apps I'm going to disable, before disabling them, as that presumably will reduce the amount of storage needed for the app.

Just going through the tools app now to start disabling apps, and I've noticed I've only got 594Mb of my total 16Gb memory free -- nearly 12Gb having been taken up by cache :eek: Clearing out the cache should presumably help massively. So, why does the OS create such a large cache, and is there any way to limit it to, say, 1Gb?

scjjtt likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

When you disable an app the OS will ask you if you want to replace it with the stock version. Selecting this will delete the updates, and then the app will be disabled, maximizing reclaimed storage.

I don't know if there's a way to set a maximum cache size, but you can manually delete it. On my phone I usually let cache grow to a little less than 1GB, then I grow anxious and delete it. A minority of apps use cache as permanent storage, so whatever you save will be deleted too. This is not the proper way an app should save its data, but I've only seen this on one or two apps. As to why the os creates such a huge cache, I guess it's to reduce launch times by keeping in cache the most frequently used apps.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Ok, got it thanks. I'm disabling a few apps now.

scjjtt likes this.