Samsung Focus 2 Review: The Luxury Side of Entry-Level Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Grant Hatchimonji, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

The Samsung Focus 2 is the most recent 4G LTE Windows Phone release, joining the ranks of the Nokia Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan II. Armed with an entry-level price of $50, the Focus 2 seemingly tries to balance the strengths and weaknesses of the more recent 4G handsets, like size, processing power, camera quality, etc. But, as is usually the case with compromise, the Focus 2 ends upmostly inhappy medium territory, making it more than a jack of all trades, but still not quite a master of any.

Read the full content of this Article: Samsung Focus 2 Review: The Luxury Side of Entry-Level

Related Articles:

HTC Titan II Review: Come for Windows Phone 7.5 With 4G, Stay for the Camera

Nokia Lumia 900 Review: Can It Save Windows Phone?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Two things kill me about the Focus 2. First is that it's an AT&T exclusive, just like every other WP7 phone that's worth discussing. I don't know who came up with the idea that all WP7 users would be happy on AT&T alone, but that person needs a smack upside the head. If you don't use AT&T and you live in the US, you have a choice of one profoundly underwhelming entry-level Nokia (the 710) and two underwhelming dated HTCs (the Trophy and the Arrive/7 Pro). The Titan II, the Lumia 900, and the Focus line are ALL AT&T exclusives.

The second is that, if you're going to go AT&T, the Lumia 900 is only $50 more. Now, you can look at that as "twice the price," but I think it's better to look at it as "$2/month more over the course of your two year contract." And for twice the onboard storage, the solid-and-stylish unibody case, the gorgeous screen, the improved camera, and Nokia's apps, is $2/month more expensive than this entry-level-offering.

And as a PS, what's wrong with Zune? ;) Setting aside the connotations of the dead hardware line (which will disappear when it's rebranded as Xbox Music this fall), it's arguably the best music service on the market. I've tried both Zune Pass and Spotify, and Zune Pass is just plain better. Better interface and easier downloads for offline listening (particularly useful on a cell phone so you don't use up your data plan streaming music). For $10/month, I can download all the albums I want for listening to at home and at work (through Windows PCs attached to external speakers) or on the go (plugging headphones or my car's stereo into my phone).

3. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

Nothing is wrong with Zune, except for the fact that virtually nobody uses it. I personally use it -- I even have a Zune HD -- but I'm being realistic about the fact that it is not a very popular service and therefore Zune integration probably isn't a huge draw for most people. You shouldn't take my slights against the popularity of certain Microsoft services or Windows Phone features as personal bias; as Ed pointed out to you recently, I use a Windows Phone device as my primary smartphone, and my fascination with the OS is why I'm the primary reporter on any matters concerning it. Just because I can recognize its flaws or its unpopularity (and point them out in my writing) does not mean I'm not giving it a fair shake.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Agreed 100%. It's a great service that nobody knows of and few people look into because it's name. I'm thinking the rebranding this fall (Xbox Music) should help attract some new subscribers, though.

The Zune thing was meant to have a humorous tone, not an offended tone (hence the smiley). Heck, so was the other jibe. If I seriously thought the reviewers and admins here had a deep-seated bias against WP, I wouldn't be on the forum.