Samsung Can Remotely Brick Smart TVs

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Mi An, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

https://www.howtogeek.com/751122/samsung-can-remotely-deactivate-your-smart-tv/

Not a surprise. But don't worry, Samsung will never make a mistake and brick the wrong TV and I'm sure customer service would take good care of you if they did. Likewise, no criminals will ever take advantage of this as they do with smartphones by selling you their tv, then claiming it was stolen to collect insurance on top of payment and getting your paid for tv bricked. Nope, everything is fine.

thisisfine.jpg

But if you're worried that I'm too optimistic, never, ever connect a smart tv to the internet. And remember if you do connect it, it's not really yours anymore. If you keep it dumb, or offline, it retains all it's features at the time of purchase. When you make it "smart", any new features (including ads, tracking, eavesdropping, bricking) are more likely to service the needs of a distant megacorp than your own.

2. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Well, lets see. My LG smart TV is connected to the wifi. The TV in turn has a Roku box connected to it. My Roku box has a Cat5 coming in from my router, which routes from my cable modem which is connected to the internet pipe Cox provides. :vbrolleyes:

Hey, I haven't connected my LG Washer to the internet yet... :vbgrin:

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My LG Washer and Dryer are both connected to the internet. It's very exciting!

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I'm all for streaming dongles and boxes. If the manufacturer misbehaves and massively changes the experience, it's easy to take a hammer to a $20 dongle and get something else. I would feel stuck with a TV even if the manufacturer baited and switched just because of the price tag. I want a TV to last like 20 years.

You young whipper snappers and your overly connected and trusting ways... But to each their own. :hi:

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Apparently you haven't seen what kids do when their smart TVs fail. It looks like a lot of fun!

Mi An likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm with Mi An and said something like that here not that long ago. Smart TVs become deprecated and can't always be updated with new versions of an app. My Sony Smart TV just booted me out of Netflix a couple of times each in the last couple of days. I can buy a new Fire Stick or Roku for next to nothing if it can't be updated anymore.

While it seems like a good idea (bricking stolen TVs), by the time the hot TVs are sold, the victims who may not know they're stolen will be the one's who end up suffering. Years ago, my apartment was robbed and my radar detector and pull-out stereo were stolen. The radar detector required an electronic key to keep activated every so often. So someone got the detector that bricked itself soon after. The pull-out stereo had a security code, so they too lost out, as of course did I. No one benefited from a stupid crime.

Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

It's true I never actually use my smart TVs smart functions. In fact I only touch the TV remote when WebOS wants to reboot. Maybe I should cut off the TV to prevent annoying updates and reboots. If Roku updates, at least it doesn't bother me with it. It just changes my home screen background from time to time.

Mi An and RickAgresta like this.