Samsung BlackJack System Software Update Now Available

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

2. Pupator

Pupator Guest

This is less of an update, and more of a "re-branding." The default is now an AT&T blue (w/globe) wallpaper. Cingular Music is now AT&T music, Cingular Video is now "Cellular Video," Cingular Mall is now AT&T Mall. The dialing screen is now blue and has the AT&T logo.

After working with the updated phone for a few hours, I find it to be noticably sluggish. At first I thought it was just me, but I'm now convinced that this update has slowed my phone down.

I'll update this with more as I find it.

3. Pupator

Pupator Guest

More trouble with the update:

*WMP doesn't work. It appears to be playing songs but no audio comes from the speaker.

*The volume of alarms can no longer be controled (that I can find), and the default is very, very, loud.

*The unit is slower. Much slower.

There's a thread over at HowardForums with 6 pages of posts on the update but none of them confirm my experience. Of course, because it's HowardForums, none of them confirm anything really - it's just a bunch of script kiddies asking if the update will undo their "unlocking." *sigh*

4. DemocraticBush

DemocraticBush Newbie

Hey to the post about the Software update for the Blackjack..

I read your post halfway through my update, and I was like damn I hope that is not the case. (That is that- the device is slower, etc....and that WMP does not work, in fact it does work.)

The device is running properly, and not slower. Everything is working fine.

WMP works fine.

In fact it seems to be working a little bit faster.

I must admit I preffered seeing Cingular rather than AT&T...

Anyways everything working great!

5. Pupator

Pupator Guest

I'd don't want to accuse them of having two versions of the update...

...but I recently downloaded the update and ran it again. WMP works, alarm volume control is back - but mine still runs "not quite as quickly" as it did before the update. YMMV

6. kharms

kharms Newbie

In fact, IT IS SLOWER. I called Samsung today and complained about the application speed and broken keyboard shortcuts for ATT&T Mall & Music and they CONFIRMED that the applications would be run slower.

I'm sending mine back to have it reflashed with the original firmware with Cingular branding. Turn around time is 15 to 21 days. Uuugh!

7. Pupator

Pupator Guest

SHOWSTOPPER!!!!

Several months after performing the update I have found something else - Internet Connection Sharing has been disabled! In a pinch, before the update, I could tether the BlackJack to my laptop and get net access - the application which made that possible is now gone. :( This is bad, bad news.

This makes connection sharing over BT impossible (I think), though you can still use USB.

8. hotkarl

hotkarl Newbie

I can't stand activesync. Thus I've opted for dashwire.com. Wayyyyy easier in my mind and does everything just as well as activesync if not better.

9. porfitron

porfitron Newbie

I had the same issue... no audio from WMP on my WM6 updated blackjack, but calls, rings and systems sounds were working just fine. I just re-ran the update and now all is well, well, except I feel like it runs a little slower now. I'm just holding out for a 3G iphone, anyway, but until then :D

10. dashwire

dashwire Mobile Consultant

Appreciate the kind words, even if you sullied our name by including it in the same sentence as ActiveSync :).

We help you sync contacts, SMS, call logs, photos, videos, phone settings, etc. Don't yet sync calendar, tasks, or e-mail though.

Can help with software upgrades. Just add Dashwire to your phone, upload your data, complete the upgrade, add Dashwire again and get your contacts and some phone settings back. Adding more transfer features, but this is our first start.