Same sex marriages

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Curious Cat, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Mobile Deity

tanbam, you make a good point, but please edit the post. I think you don't have enough i's in Virginia :D

CC, good thread, but it's seems to have become entrenched. Time for me to unsubscribe.

2. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

Well so much for you're relying on the original Greek. The Greeks didn't have a term for what we now call "homosexual". In fact, the word "homosexual" wasn't even coined until the mid 1800s by a Hungarian philosopher. It's not that the Greeks didn't KNOW about homosexuality, they had words for lots of different "homosexual" activities, etc. Here's a link from Stanford University on that topic.

Now if memory serves me (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't), I think the original word referenced in the bible was something like "arseno coitas" which referred to temple prostitution, not the love of same-sex partners nor their acts.

So that to say that your infallible translation of the bible means exactly today what it meant when the words were first written is just plain, well, fallible.

3. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

This is not the point you were trying to make but I always thought that Greek was almost synonymous with homosexual. I'm not trying to disparage any macho Greeks out there but there was definitely a lot of male bonding in ancient Greece. When I was growing up, people often would say, "doing it Greek style" to refer to a homosexual act.

4. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

Maybe that's why they had so many words for various types of relationships and activities which now are all bundled under the umbrella of the comparatively modern word "homosexual".

The issue for me is that most straights see "gay marriage" only in terms of sexual activity. It's not, anymore than a heterosexual marriage is only an excuse to have church-sanctioned sex. At least I HOPE not. Pretty sad marriage if that's all there is.

[Edit:] I removed some religious references in this post in deference to the consensus that enough is enough already. Since I voted that way myself, the reference was inappropriate. Sorry.

5. signothefish

signothefish Toshiba e800 Aficionado

It's really hard for me to stand on the sidelines and see these false interpretations by unbelievers of what the Bible says. Anyway, I thought people were tired of religious discussions. If you truly are not, let me know, because I would like to get back in.

6. Curious Cat

You could always PM New Cell. :D

Seriously, please feel free to PM anyone to clarify something that has been discussed.

7. signothefish

Thanks @CC. I don't mind doing that, as long as anything that's posted here by anyone which mentions anything about the Bible goes through the same PM filter.

8. Curious Cat

Absolutely and feel free to PM me if I miss one. :)

9. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Bar's closed....besides, I already dismantled my soapbox....I'll miss'r so.... :)

10. signothefish

Eh, it's for the best. No matter where you go, unless it's a Christian forum, people don't want to hear it. Sadly, Christianity has become just another religion to the world. We can only do our part. If others reject it, we can't say that we didn't say so. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.