Run Palm OS Applications on Nokia Internet Tablets

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Access Co., Ltd., has just announced that it will soon release a Garnet VM (Virtual Machine) for Nokia's Internet Tablet series. This will make it possible for users of the N810, N800, and N770 to run thousands of off-the-shelf Garnet OS (formerly Palm OS)-based applications.

[​IMG]
    Garnet VM on a Nokia N810
    (view large image)

“Access is leveraging our work on the Access Linux Platform which includes Garnet VM as one of three runtime environments along with Java and native Linux,” said Didier Diaz, senior vice president product strategy management, “Access Systems Americas. “This reinforces the value of Garnet OS-based applications to consumers and creates an all-around win: it will allow Nokia users to access the thousands of great applications running under Garnet OS; it will give our loyal developers a larger installed base of devices; and it will enable “Access to fine-tune Garnet VM based on customer feedback.”

Garnet VM will supports over 30,000 software applications, including some of the most popular mobile applications on the market, such as Google Maps, Snappermail, DateBk5 as well as games like Bejeweled, PacMan, and Sudoku. Access says it has achieved 80% compatibility validation with the library of Palm OS software.

The Nokia N770, N800 and N810 Internet Tablets run a Linux-based operating system, and offer wireless connections, high resolution displays, and support for a wide variety of Internet functions, such as VoIP calling, instant messaging, and email.

Coming Soon

Garnet VM is expected to be available by the end of the year free of charge as a download from Access.

Update: Beta versions of the Garnet VM are available now. There are different versions for the three Internet Tablets available on the ACCESS web site at www.access-company.com.

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Ed Hardy

For those of you who are looking to replace your Palm TX, I'd say the Nokia N800 or N810 just became a much better alternative.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

That's amazing!
    If it will be stable and fast enough, that would solve the "NOkia-Internet-Tablet-is-nos-a-PDA" issue...

PIM applicaitons, Docs to go...

Start thinking about it...

Luigi

4. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Interesting development. This changes the whole Palm OS environment. I expect to see ALP on devices shortly. I wonder if the Garnet VM will come with the built-in Palm PIM's?

EDIT: Nevermind... it does... I just looked at the picture about and it comes with the PIM's!!! This is fantastic. I hope it supports Palm Desktop and HotSync.

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

The thing which really needs clarification is if HotSync is also supported.
    THEN this would be a TRUE replacement.

6. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Aren't the proprietary Palm PIMs (read: modifications made by Palm) ownership of Palm, not Access ?

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

This is HUGE! Nokia must be pretty pleased right now. I am shocked, in a good way...damn!

8. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

I don't believe so. They are part of the OS, and source is in the SDK.
    ______
    Dennis

9. Ed Hardy

Access said:
    p.s. For all of you who are unhappy about the switch to Graffiti 2, notice that the Garnet VM will have Graffiti 1.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. cstross

cstross Mobile Deity

I have a Nokia N800; the one thing this gadget has lacked and needs badly is some sort of office suite. If ALP can run Documents to Go, then that's the answer. And Docs to Go running full-screen on an N800 or N810 would be a really sweet mobile office environment (although I hate to say it, but the Asus Eee 701 is now looking to be better value for money if you need something with a real keyboard -- cheaper than an N800 and a bluetooth device, and not much heavier).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.