Rooting the Galaxy Player with SuperOneClick

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Player' started by raspabalsa, Feb 10, 2012.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello all!

Probably this isn't news at all, but I'd like to share my experience rooting my Galaxy Player 5.0 with SuperOneClick. I very recently became aware of this method, and the reason I think it deserves its own thread is that it's so easy and fool-proof to apply that it may convince users to go ahead and root their devices (it did convince me!). Also, Hook asked me to detail the procedure :)

Here's some of my Player's tech data:

Model: YP-G70
    Firmware version: 2.3.5
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-CL566269
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8

First of all, I had to reinstall Samsung USB drivers, even though my computer has Kies installed (I installed it when I got my Galaxy Mini). I was able to use the Mass Media Storage function without problems, but when I activated USB debugging mode the compuTer would fail to install the proper USB drivers. New Samsung drivers that work for the Player can be downloaded from XDA-developers here.

Second, for some unknown-to-me reason a newer version I found (SuperOneClick v2.3.3) would fail at rooting my Player. The program would freeze a few seconds into the root process. After a quick scan of this thread at XDA I decided to try an older release: version 2.2, available at XDA's SuperOneClick thread. This is the one that succeeded.

After that, it's all downhill. First, unmount the SD card (Settings -> SD card and device storage -> Unmount SD card). I have to admit I don't know why this is needed, and I haven't read through the 40+ pages in the thread, so I'll just take it as an article of faith. After the procedure is done, it's easy to remount the card, just follow the same route, and the final message will now read "Mount SD card".

Then enable USB debugging mode on the Player (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> place checkmark in "USB debugging"), connect the Player to the PC, and launch SuperOneClick. This program must be launched with Administrator privileges, and although mine already had them, better launch it by right-clicking the icon, selecting "Run as Administrator". Finally, click the big "Root" button. The procedure took about 2 minutes on my Player, and in the end the Player was successfully rooted.

I had no problem (other than the USB drivers) with this method. However, I've read that sometimes the program will fail to detect the connected phone. In this cases it's recommended to disable USB debugging and enabling it again. More information about this can be found in the threads I link to above.

That's it. The Player can now use Ad-Free, Titanium Backup, and all the other cool root-only programs.

2. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Thanks so much. There has always been slightly more than one click to using SuperOneClick and I wanted to make sure I was ready to go when I got mine.

Once I have this device, my Nexus One will become just a phone and PAYG Mifi. If I'm ever stuck someplace without wifi but AT&T is available and I *really need internet,I just call up and dump a PAYG data bucket on my phone and turn on the hotspot function. It will be pricey ($15 for 100Mb, $25 for 500Mb), but it will also be rare.

3. raspabalsa

You're welcome, Hook!
    That's just like my setup. Now I use mi Mini just for calls, although it's still nice to have a backup device that can handle email and web browsing. I may eventually sign the Mini to a plan with limited data (data plans are still hideously expensive here), but first I'll take a few weeks to see if I really do need so much connectivity.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Similar to my setup with mt TP2 + cheap Sprint plan and my Nook Color. XDAndroid works in a pinch, but not well enough to replace my usual dual-device setup. The Player would serve me better than the NC, primarily because of size, added BT, and other features.

Sent from my XDAndroid GBX0B 2.3.7 using Tapatalk

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What are the advantages? (I'm not saying there aren't any, just want to know.) I'd think that rooting would be less of an issue on a non-carrier-affiliated device.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Varjak, you're right that rooting has more appeal with a carrier device, since it allows you to uninstall some of the junk.

One significant thing you can do with root is install something like SetCPU or CPU Master Free to scale your processor. This allows you to either underclock to save battery, overclock for performance, or dynamically scale processor speed to meet your needs at the moment.

Another is the app Ad Free. This acts kind of like a "hosts file" on a Windows desktop, intercepting and blocking connections to online advertising servers like Doubleclick, Google Ads, etcetera, so that your device doesn't load ads while browsing.

7. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Why do you think I rooted my Nexus One (also no carrier crap)? ;) Full backups, root empowered file managers, getting rid of Google books and all the other crap Google forces you to have,etc. Basically, once I buy it, it's *my* device, not theirs. :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

Isn't rooting analogous to having admin rights on your PC? I sure wouldn't buy a PC if I didn't have admin rights.

9. raspabalsa

Actually, the advantages are so clear that I never stopped to think that a non-carrier device may not benefit from rooting. Ads, as said above. I couldn't press the pause button on vm player without having an ad pop into the screen. Carrierless the Player is, but still has its share of crapware that can only be deleted if you root (or reflash). Also, if you want to bypass the Market's geographical restrictions, Market Unlocker only works on rooted devices.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk

10. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks Adama. I wasn't suggesting it DID NOT help, I was only curious as to how.

Raspa, in your original post you mentioned 'ad-free Titanium;' but not that it meant all things were ad-free, so how was I to know? Is there no other way to get the Ad-free app Adama mentioned? I think I agree with Hook's premise though that the device should be 'yours' though.

As for Nexus One, I fully understand why that makes sense and said so in my original post.

Jig, in some ways I guess you're right; but most people don't extend such logic to things like iPhones, Kindles, Nooks, etc., (Yes, I know you have done so.) Even on this forum, there aren't that many that root or jailbreak some devices, though Android seems to get more of that kind of attention; maybe justifiably.

11. raspabalsa

Actually, I said:
    There's a comma after "Ad-Free". What I meant is that once I rooted I could start using Ad-Free to prevent ads from appearing on most programs.

But the thing is, I don't think anyone here (and certainly not me) was trying to start an argument with you about the pros or cons of rooting a carrier-less device. I took your question as what it was: genuine curiosity on your part, so I added a few details about the benefits already mentioned by the others :)
    AFAIK, there is no other way. The device must be rooted so Ad-Free can intercept the ads requested by programs. I don't know the technical details, but from what I've read at XDA and elsewhere a regular (non-root) user doesn't have the privileges to block ads.
    I haven't used any idevice, so I can't comment on them, but within 3 hours of using my first Android device (the Mini) I rooted it because I was already tired of getting so many ads. I felt like I had back a few years ago before I used Firefox and my IE would get flooded with ads and pop-ups. I guess many people feel that way, hence the perception that rooting is more common on Android devices.

12. jigwashere

It seems rooting is indeed analogous to having administrative rights. AdFree works by changing the hosts file use by the browser and other web apps, misdirecting their ad streams so they don't work. According AdFree's description: "AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known host names in the system hosts file."

Wikipedia is a good source for more information.

13. jigwashere

14. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Fair enough Raspa, good point about the comma, but that alone does not make something 'ad-free' in a general sense. I have ad-blocking software on my computers; but some ads get through anyway.

I'll read up on that Jig; but I'm still not sure why admin rights would be the only way to block certain addresses. I figure as phones/tablets/PDA's get more powerful, we'll see things like Firefox Mobile with ad-block plugins.

15. jigwashere

There may be other ways to block ads, but root access is definitely required to modify the hosts file. Modifying the hosts file is the easiest, most direct means of preventing ads from all apps. In fact, you don't need to do this on your phone to make it work -- you can do this on your router, instead. Using a modified hosts file on a router would work for all devices connecting to through it, although you'd still see ads when connecting via the carrier data service.

How to Block Unwanted Ads in All Applications and Speed Up Web Browsing with the Hosts File

=====

16. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I have a couple of questions here.

1. If I installthe USB drivers you linked to at XDA, is there any reason to install KIES? I guess that is what makes the media mode possible? It's just wird because even Samsung documentation hardly mentions KIES.

2. If I already have Nexus One USB drivers, does installing the Samsung Drivers get rid of them or do they co-exist?

17. raspabalsa

I think you're right, the USB drivers are standalone, and are used instead of the ones included with Kies.

About the media mode, this isn't exclusive to Kies. Windows Media Player and Winamp both try to grab my GP5, even when Kies is not running. It's the same MTP mode that appears on pTunes.
    I can't say for sure, but on my computer I first installed Kies when I got the Mini, then I installed the drivers when I got the GP5. Now both devices work ok on the computer and are recognized when connected to the USB ports, so I think they're peacefully coexisting.

18. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Okay. If I can get Oneclick 2.2 to download (keeps timing out) I think I'm going to hold off installing KEIS. I don'tknow if I'll really use MTP mode ao I am waiting until I run into a problem that requires KEIS.

19. raspabalsa

I have SOC 2.2, do you want me to email it to you?

20. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Sure. Shortfuse seems to be not working for downloading tonight.