Rooted Now!

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Haha...no, you're the guy who finally brought the rooting topic to Brighthand. I agree -- I'd much more prefer to read all about it here. I found some very decent folks in some other Android forums who were very patient with my noob rooting questions, but the XDA Developer's site...egads. Not that I've encountered any unfriendliness, but before going there I've never actually been intimidated just reading forum posts. Haha.

I much prefer to stay in my Brighthand comfort zone! So good on ya, Hook, for raising this topic! I just quietly rooted, ROM'ed, and kernel'ed thinking that no one seemed to be interested in that kind of stuff here. I guess some of us are closet rooters. Haha.

2. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Root! Root! (Yep, rooted my Moto Defy a few days after it arrived.)

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Rooting for the rooters?:D

4. internetpilot

I guess we BrighthAndroids are quiet rooters....secret rooters...? :p

5. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I have a question if anyone knows. I noticed there is a SuperUser app (free) in the market with the same icon. The SU apk I have is from October. Is the one in the market a newer version of the same thing or is it someone's alternative? Any reason to update?

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

7. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Yes, that's the one. What I'm not sure is whether there is any advantage to that version, hoping one of the other rooters will know. Otherwise, I may just give it a spin and see what it is like.

8. internetpilot

I'm running that latest version (v2.3.6.1). I looked in my Market app at My Apps and it wasn't downloaded from the Market, so I can only assume that was installed as part of my rooting process and/or upgraded when I flashed Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS5 ROM.

If it's the same app just a newer version, I don't think it's going to hurt your device to update. I noticed there's an Elite version of this same app on "presale" for 1/2 price.

9. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Actually, silly me, hadn't checked the version numbers. I had just assumed from the date on the apk file that was part of the SuperOneClick package that it was an older version. The one I already have is the latest version. :eek:

Move along, nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

10. jigwashere

Hook, I know this is off topic, but I hope that's okay. At some point, I'm going to get an Android phone. Any chance you could make an animated juggling Android avatar for me? :D I'm trying to hold off until October, so no rush. ;)

EDIT: <jigwashere suddenly worries that Hook is going to teach him to fish>

11. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Sure, but we have to wait until you choose your model. ;)

12. jigwashere

I'm getting closer to buying an Android phone. I bought a battery for an EVO 4G phone on eBay.
    <jigwashere conveniently neglects to mention that the battery also works with his TP2....>

13. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I may have to give up and be assimilated into the collective after all. As much as I'd like to stay with Tmo and keep my easily-swappable GSM phones, I'm thinking of going with a regional (CDMA) carrier and they only offer Androids and one Blackberry. Ain't goin' back to a BB. The up side is that their best offering is a Galaxy Showcase.

I guess I would have to spend some time with it and see what its limits would be before I would root it.

Jig, you're going to miss that TP2 keyboard.

14. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

spinning in a circle would make you a roto-rooter, I think...just sayin'......

15. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

And I keep watching this thread, very interested in all this rutting action. Oh, wait... Perhaps I misread... ;)

16. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I don't really miss mine. Sometimes I use the on-screen multi-touch keyboard, sometimes I use Graffiti.

17. internetpilot

Hey, Hook -- I noticed the app, MyBackup Pro, is being frequently recommended with or even over Titanium Backup. I looked into it and it looks more like the NVBackup that we were all used to with Palm. It won't freeze/thaw apps like Titanium, but you don't seem to need that so much with your phone.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to you. Seems like a really nice backup solution. I linked the name to the Android Market above.

18. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I have their non-root Pro version and, like Sprite Backup, was very disappointed with it. Since the root version is free, I'll take a look at it, but I really like Titanium.

19. internetpilot

That's what I was going to do as well. I can't really get rid of Titanium Backup since Sprint phones have sooooooooo much bloatware that Titanium Backup's freeze/thaw options (as well as delete) are way too beneficial. But MyBackup Pro seems to be a good backup app as far as just regular backup apps go. If you've actually tried it, you would know better than me, though!

20. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Agreed: I prefer Titanium.