Rooted Now!

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

This isn't earth-shattering and probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I've finally rooted my Nexus One. I've wanted to do it for sometime to gain access to Titanium Backup (which will do a full NVBackup style backup which security in Linux prevents you from doing unless you have superuser (SU) access) and maybe a screenshot app (finally!) which also, for some reason, requires SU access.

I have, however, been a bit timid even though I have used Linux in the past so I kind of understand what I'm doing. However, when you go to fora, of course the people who are posting are telling horror stories. :eek:

However, I finally did it and I used the SuperOneClick method from XDA using the instructions on this page:

How To: Root Your Android Phone (SuperOneClick Method) | TheUnlockr

The only step they skipped was to go into the SuperUser app and change the notification settings to actually provide notifications from apps of requests for SU permissions so I could grant it. You would think that would be default. :rolleyes: However, it is a really easy, completely automated method of rooting that just as easily unroots (I tested it).

By the way, rooting does not mean flashing a new ROM-- something I didn't realize at first. I am still using the stock ROM and I don't see myself getting into ROM flashing very soon. I'm happy with the stock Nexus One ROM, I just want permission to do what I please. Now I can pull up an SSH terminal and issue Linux commands. Woot! :newpalm:

I love Titanium Backup. It was the one thing I hadn't been able to replace, function-wise, from my TX.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Welcome to the club! I beat you by only about two weeks on my Evo. I did notice there's not much discussion here on Brighthand about rooting. I agree, it was an incredibly easy process (I used UnrEVOked) and I really don't know why the phones just don't come that way. I mean, sure, you can mess things up a bit if you delve too deep without knowing what you're doing, but...really...I could also accidentally drop my phone in the toilet and brick it, too.

I was only rooted for about two days when I decided to flash a different ROM. And then I had a custom ROM for about two more days and decided to flash a kernel. It's an addiction...! Haha. No, seriously, one of the main reasons why I was interested in rooting my Evo was to improve the battery life of the phone. SetCPU helped a lot with that (which works with just root), but a more aggressive kernel also helps tremendously. I'm getting about double the typical life out of my stock battery via a combination of the SetCPU and the Netarchy ToastMod kernel. The custom ROM just makes everything prettier.

I like Titanium Backup as well, but I like ClockworkMod and Amon_RA recovery even better. I feel like Norton Ghost has been brought to my Android phone -- I'm making full image backups (including important things like WiMax keys) in a matter of minutes, making recovery/restores just as quick and complete. It also allows me to try different ROMs/kernels in like 15 minutes total.

The current ROM/kernel I'm using is listed in my signature now. It's very similar to stock Sense UI Froyo 2.2 ROM, but with quite a few enhancements and improvements, as well as getting rid of all the bloat apps. I have a heathly respect for these ROM/kernel developers. I wish HTC would employ them so that the phone could come out of the box working and looking this way.

Watch out for the ROM/kernel itch...! I said the same thing ("I'm just going to keep it stock and root it"), but it won't last long, especially if you start looking around and see what's out there. I don't know about the Nexus One ROMS, but the Evo ROMs are VERY impressive.

3. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Yeah, I know I'm doomed to consider ROMs now. Cyanogen Gingerbread seems to be very popular on the Nexus One. But it will take me more research to get there. However, I doubt it will be long ;)

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm glad you guys are paving the way. I really want to get an Android phone. I'll buy one on impulse at some point, but so far have been able to hold off. I might play with some custom ROMs on my TP2 at some point, mainly with the hopes that I'll be distracted from spending money I don't have. :rolleyes:

5. internetpilot

Wow...Cyanogen. You're really going for the cutting edge there, especially Gingerbread. My issue with choosing a ROM was that I really like Sense UI, and most of the cutting edge ROMs are straight Android.

You strike me more as a kernel guy, but I could be wrong. As long as you realize that resistance is futile...haha. Once you realize that as long as you have a nand backup, you can try whatever ROM raises your interest, and then restore it back to stock if you're disappointed all in about 30 minutes from beginning to end then the rest of your spare time will be in 30 minute blocks....haha.

6. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

I love straight Android and really don't care for SenseUI (although, I have also never had it). However, I'm just getting started. I haven't even researched kernels yet. Some of this stuff is very new to me, although I used to use several flavors of Linux so I am not completely in the dark. One thing at a time. ;-)

7. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Just for my Curiosity :rolleyes: Is "Rooting" an Android phone about the same thing as "Jail breaking" an Iphone or iPod Touch?

If not what is the difference?

8. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Yes, it is.

You are basically getting superuser (administrator) access to your device. Allows you to experiment with custom ROMs and use specialized apps.

Congrats, Hook!!! I have been rooted for a while, but have stuck with Sense, and haven't put on a custom ROM yet. Debating between Warm and Cyanogen.

IP, you are addicted! :) It looks good on ya!

9. internetpilot

Kinda the same thing. I guess the main difference is the purpose, which is why the iPhone process is called "jailbreaking" -- they're breaking out of the jail that is the Apple iOS experience. It allows them to use software outside of the App Store.

Android users typically root for the same reasons that PC and Linux desktop users want root or admin access -- so they can have full control of their device. Android users can already use whatever apps they want, so the only thing that's really left is admin level access to better tweak the phone.

10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

So, lemme get this straight - you can root and unroot, meaning it's totally reversible.

But there's still a danger of making a mistake and bricking your phone? Or not?

11. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Yes to all questions. However, the risk isn't great unless you are careless. Root access means you can change anything at the system level. Basically, if you don't know what it is and have clear instructions, don't mess with it. Actually, with stock ROM, I believe a factory reset might overcome anything you messed up. You'd just reroot and restore from Titanium backup.

12. internetpilot

I can only speak about the HTC Evo. While it is possible to unroot an Evo, from what I've read it's not advisable to do so. I don't want to talk too much out of my posterior here, but I know that it has something to do with the hboot, and getting that back to the original isn't always a 100% thing. To be honest, I've read more about people (temporarily) messing up their phones when attempting to unroot more than I've seen problems with rooting. I've yet to see an incident where rooting or unrooting killed the phone beyond repair.

The risks of bricking your phone are minuscule. I mean, you have just as much of a chance of bricking your phone during an OTA update, and it's basically the same process. Initially a very, very small minority reported losing their Wimax keys during the Evo rooting process (and once you lose them they are gone as they are unique to each phone), but now the rooting procedure includes backing up the Wimax keys during the nand backup, so even that risk has been relatively nullified.

I haven't read of people having many problems during or after rooting. Now, after flashing an alternate ROM or kernel...there are typically more issues that come up. I haven't personally had any issues with rooting or flashing a custom ROM/kernel. Admittedly my ROM/kernel of choice isn't the bleeding cutting edge of technology, but both are excellent, current, and very stable. You can usually tell what to expect when you're looking around for ROMs/kernels. There really shouldn't be any surprises or else you probably didn't research the ROM/kernel well enough.

13. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Well said. There's of course is another thing-- there may be, as is the case with everything Android, differences by model. The One-click method of rooting/unrooting on the Nexus One works perfectly (they list which phones it does and does not work on-- apparently doesn't work on the EVO). It's like a toggle switch and works perfectly in both directions.

Flashing ROMs is probably riskier, but the key is research. If you are really not 100% sure you know the risks involved and are willing to take those risks Don't do it! Really, unrooted Android devices with the stock/carrier ROMs are just fine. I chose to root because I really wanted to be able to do a full backup, but I took so long because I really needed to know I knew what I was doing.

14. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Well said... the key is research. Read, read, and read some more. When you feel you have read enough, read some more. :)

As noted, there are risks, but, in months of threaded research, i have never met anyone who has irreversibly bricked a device.

Also, as noted, not all root methods work for every device, and some don't even work on the same models with different software builds.

And it is reversible... :)

The cool thing about rooting is that you don't need to do it to have an awesome Android device.

IP: what are your SetCPU settings, if you don't mind me asking?

15. internetpilot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes I use the Smarta$$ governor setting with no profiles, but I was trying these current settings to see if I could squeak out more battery life.

16. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Another root app for me to play with-- I'm enjoying all this input here at Brighthand. Most other places, they seem to expect you to know everything. I appreciate getting the info from BH folks and please continue to use this thread to make Root and ROM suggestions, talk about experiences, etc. :)

17. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Check out CacheMate too, Hook.

IP: thanks... so far, I am still getting the hang of SetCPU.

18. internetpilot

Yeah, I was a little surprised that there weren't any root threads here, but....nothing wrong with us starting one, especially sharing the short story of how we did it, why, what we like about it, etc.

SetCPU can be as complicated or automatic as you want and it will usually benefit you either way.

19. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Geez, Hook, you're turning into a daring dude lately. Please keep us informed on your progress. As jig points out, you're paving the way.

20. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

No, actually, that was Stryker and Internet Pilot-- I'm just the blabbermouth. :p :rolleyes: