1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I really liked our LG v10's. The first we got was for our son at Christmas a few months after it came out in 2015. For a short time it was the most powerful smartphone out there. We used them for years. It took awhile for many other phones to catch up with its power.

Just like so many other things I like - they all seem to come to an end - Palm, WebOS, Pebble Watches, WearOS (almost dead). Look out Motorola phones, Chromebooks & Android tablets.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I'm sorry to see them go. People laugh at the LG Wing, but they were the last major company willing to take (old) Nokia-like chances on add designs. I loved my Nexus 5. And I hate to see the choices get slimmer.

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I hate to be that guy, but after reading about LG's thermal problems which I believe I first read about from users here suffering from them across like multiple generations of devices, I wouldn't have gone near the brand (unless they were on a really good sale ;) ). It reeked of incompetence so massive, that even having eventually fixed that specific problem, I wouldn't trust them not to LG some other basic piece of functionality.

I did admire some of their form factors, though I would point out that Motorola not only took a shot at modular phones like LG did with their friends modules, but Moto persisted through 4 generations of devices while LG abandoned their scheme after one gen (which greatly diluted the value of modularity since you couldn't carry expensive mods forward to your next phone). Not exactly like Nokia's old embrace of every form factor imaginable, but still a bold play from a big dog.

I am sorry to see options dwindling. I remember once I thought that just as Moto stole HTC's spot at the top of the Android pile, then Samsung stole Moto's spot, someone would eventually beat Samsung. I was so young and naïve back then. Good times. I guess at least there's fxtec and pinephone, right?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 7:14 PM
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The more I think about it, the more I think LG didn't really quite know what to do with their phones. They set them up as loss-leaders to bring people to their brand, and the weird designs gave them a vague aura of "innovation". I also suspect they just wanted to shove their brand into as many places as possible so people would buy more LG fridges and washers. FWIW we had an LG washer/dryer pair for a few years. The washer died and LG tried to charge us $500 to fix it, so we just replaced it, but I still miss the weird song it would sing when the wash was done.

Will anyone else be willing to take weird flyers on phone designs now?

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Didn't LG make the beloved Nexus 5x? They were capable of making good phones.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

There was a time when most phones and tablets in my household were LG. My wife still has her LG Pad 8", and used it daily until I gave her a Moto G9 Plus, which is so huge that she can watch her videos there more comfortably than on the Pad. I had the LG V10 and I loved it until its premature death by thermal bootloop. That didn't stop me from getting an LG G6 some months later. I used this phone for 2.5 years, and now my daughter uses (and loves!) it. In a few months it will be 4 years old, which would make it the longest lived phone I've ever purchased. Before upgrading from the G6 to my current Samsung S10+ I considered a couple of LG models (G8, V30) but even a year ago it was clear that LG was pulling out of the market and no high-end model was available in South America. I'm glad I decided to switch to Samsung then. But I'm sad to see LG go away for good.

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  8. Hook

We just got an LG front loader, and I do love the song it sings. It has Best Buy advanced protection, which tends to be far more reliable than a manufacturer warranty or service plans. I can't tell you how many free cameras Mrs. Hook got from Best Buy whenever she dropped a camera into a mountain stream while out shooting pictures. :vbeek: :vbgrin:

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  9. Hook

As I said above, they made the Nexus 5 as well as the 5X. I had my 5 for four years. Towards the end I felt the screen was too small, but it was a great phone. Sadly, at the end, it's battery turned into a Navy life raft. :vbeek: It probably was overheating from wireless charging, which I no longer seek from a phone. I also refuse to use quick charge unless it is really important that I get the phone charged quickly. I do most of my charging using a USB 2 port on my 12 year old computer.

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I was fond of my LG Nexus 4, still love the size, though mine did run very hot (the device had a wide variety of cpu binnings, some of them put off a lot more heat than the standard binning), it lived a nice long life, maybe because I underclocked and undervolted to get the temps down, but maybe just because. That was my first brand new (not used) smartphone and my first smartphone fire sale.

The Nexus 4 made me think smartphone competition would bring down prices from those outrageous $600-$750 flagships, commoditization would overpower the brands and happiness and joy (in the form of low prices) would descend on us all. The Nexus 4 started out with a pretty cheap $400 price and then went on clearance for $200 around the time the nexus 5 was coming out, it was clearly a tide turning in my mind. Couldn't go wrong.

I'm really good at predictions, just not about the future. The lower midrange did get more capable since then, moto gs are particularly nice I think, the middle midrange of pixel xAs and samsung Axxs etc are a decent amount of phone for the money, but man I never would have dreamed how high flagship pricing would go.

scjjtt, headcronie, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.