RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Aww, it's all good. Kobo gets so little attention in the USA it's easy to assume they are waning...but they are head to head with Amazon overseas. I think Kobo's success overseas is part of what's hurt B&N too...by the time the Nook started hitting Europe Amazon and Kobo were already ensconced in the markets.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I haven't been keeping up but I'm surprised to hear this about Nook.

I guess that, for once, I bet on the right horse by buying a Kindle.

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I've thought about this for a long time (don't scroll back to look at the timestamps to find out how long, you don't want to know), and have decided it stands for extra enigmatic.

4. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Much as I hate Amazon taking over the world, when I dug into ebooks, after my experience with Palm, my key criterion was confidence they wouldn't disappear in a few years. For pay books, I went with Amazon.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have been burned bad enough by crappy DRM that I refuse to invest in anything that I am licensed to use, until they day so otherwise. No ebooks, no digital movies or music, etc. I buy physical media which I make an uninhibited digital copy. DRM isn't about protecting from theft so much as it is about ensuring that the DRM content owners can force you to keep buying again and again just because they flip a switch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

All my books are purchased through Amazon, mostly for the reason Hook said. But, and this is a big but, I also future-proof them by running them through DRM removal tools and saving them in AZW, epub, or any other format so I can keep using them even if Amazon says otherwise. The current DRM scheme is so wrong that it deserves to be bypassed, or even better, trampled and stomped upon. In other words:

xkcd drm.png

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Just to note, digital music has no drm on it these days. I buy from Amazon, but it's actually true of Apple too (not that I ever buy from them). :vbwink:

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I just purchased 40 CDs for $4.00 at a garage sale. Digital copy, that would net me 4 songs. Physical media, that nets me over 400 songs. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk