RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I never even received the code. Maybe because I'm not a nook user? I have no idea, but I gave up. Like you, it was more principle. I have the books. I have Callibre. I even have a fully functioning TX with Ereader Pro on it. ;)

However, whenever there is a choice to be made between Nook and something else in the future, I will not be choosing Nook here.

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

The transfer never did arrive, but I finally got around to err... updating my ereader ebooks to work with modern software. I had done this manually via script on several individual books earlier, but I finally got around to using plugins to do it automatically to my entire library.

It's amazing how many of my old books lack coverart, and worse, how inconsistent some of the naming conventions were. I remember being frustrated with the naming thing some time ago while trying to put together all books in particular series and subseries. I can change that easily enough, and permanently now. Good news, the TOCs came out clean this time, last time I tried the TOCs were all garbage. I'm gonna have to put calibre on my 'to donate' list.

I'm less fragmented, more mobile, less deconverged, more in control and generally more happy as an ereader than I've been in some time. It's just as well B&N didn't make good on the transfer thing. I've bailed off enough sinking ships recently.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I'm glad now that I didn't become invested in ebook services until Amazon. I've paid a buck or two for some titles that are probably in the public domain but it's worth it since my account is "out there" and Amazon is probably as stable as Google.

Since going to Kindle, I've only had one book that's been problematic. I bought a book on Babylonian and Assyrian history that reads well but is ridden with typos and mis-formatted stuff. Kindle has a built-in way of reporting this stuff but I don't know what difference it'll make.

4. DTM

DTM ---

I had forgotten about this thread until Mi An's latest post, but I do have a follow-up.

I finally did get my book transferred--into a new B&N account, not the one I already had open with several books in it. I assumed that merging accounts would be easy. Guess again. There's no instruction on how to do that, and tech support initially said it was impossible. I persisted. The guy bumped me to someone else who said it could be done, but first I had to deregister both of my Nooks. Let me repeat: I had to deregister them; she couldn't do it. What would have happened if my old device had been lost, stolen, destroyed, etc. I don't even want to think about. Did it, got the accounts merged, so all is well from B&N's perspective.

But deregistering the Nook Simple Touch does something astonishingly stupid: it not only erases all of the B&N content, which I would expect, but it also erases all of the sideloaded content. And that means I lost all of the highlights, annotations, bookmarks, etc. in all of my sideloaded content. Since, at the time, I was proofing Ethan Frome for Gutenberg, my notes were lost. Fortunately, there were only a few errors in that one (which remain, thanks to B&N). In other Gutenberg files, I've found scores of errors. I don't even want to think about what I would have done had I lost those.

All told, a classic example of how not to handle this sort of thing.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Ouch! I think that goes in the "if only I had known....." category.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Got an email from Sony about them shutting down their Reader store. They're offering to transfer your library to kobo so you don't lose access to them. Off one sinking ship and on to another that's not sinking quite as quickly. How generous. Thankfully I've only got one book there.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Don't worry. Once you are on board, the sinking will speed up nicely. :D :p;)

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Kobo actually is doing quite well, especially in international markets. They posted impressive growth this past year, unlike the sinking good ship nook.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  9. r0k

r0k Dazed

Interesting you should mention sinking ships. This weekend marks the end of my free trial to Oyster. It is a $10 a month Netflix for books. I've read 2 books in my 30 days. One is "The Joy of X" and the other is "Tobias' The Only Investing Book You'll Ever Need". I loved them both but alas I'm too busy to make $120 a year worth it to read an average 2 books a month. Then there are the other quibbles I have with Oyster. In Kindle, I can swipe to turn pages from right to left. Not so in Oyster. In Oyster, I MUST swipe from bottom to top lest the app think I'm highlighting text.

So as my trial expired, I started looking for a new ereader platform. Not that I'm unhappy with Kindle, I just want to see what's out there. So I went back to take a look at Olivetree Biblereader. I needed the New American Bible so I could teach Boy Scouts the Pius 12 religious award. Alas NAB was suddenly missing from my iPad. No sweat. I fired up my portable hotspot (the only thing that works in the bowels of the church basement where we hold scout meetings) and logged in to Olivetree to retrieve the bible I paid $30 for years ago. It was missing. I could get it on my 640 pixel wide iPhone but not on my iPad. I contacted support. They said licensing prevents them from allowing me to have it on my iPad and offered to sell me another one at a discount. I found it on Amazon in Kindle format for $5. Done.

There was a Borders in our neighborhood so I had a Kobo for a while. Now it's a Books a Million and guess what ereader they are pushing? Nook. So while I was flailing around looking for ways to regain unfettered access to a book I had paid Olivetree $30 for, I also took a look at Nook and Kobo and Google Play Books and even iBooks while I was at this. It seems they are all nice in their own ways but Kindle works well enough on every platform I use that it is still the winner. For now. It's really about time for DRM to be dropped from books. After all, I paid for NAB on Olivetree and it went missing. I don't "own" it in a format that allows me to simply restore it myself and now that I've been let down by Olivetree's cloud, I know the importance of getting my stuff on my storage in my chosen DRM-free format. This is just a pipe dream. For now I'll settle for Kindle's DRM that "chains" me to every modern platform. Best I can do.

So I have about $100 worth of concordances, bible dictionaries and commentaries in Olivetree format and I need to decide what to do about them. If I can't find them on Kindle, I'll have to take a look at Logos. Yes the Olivetree bridge is pretty much burned at this point. Stand between me and my stuff, especially when I'm teaching a class expecting my stuff to be there for my students and I will not just walk away, I'll run away.

Mi An likes this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I didn't realize and didn't mean to spread misinformation. I wish them well and I'm sure they'll appreciate me keeping my distance. :eek::rolleyes:

I disagree vehemently with this. I think it's actually long overdue. But I respect all differing opinions somewhere between yours and mine. ;)

RickAgresta likes this.