RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The IIIxe battery does last long time, about a month.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Extremely Excellent, of course. ;)

Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

The official answer from B&N: sit tight, they are investigating the bug. And happy thanksgiving.

Hopefully more than that will be forthcoming soon.

RickAgresta, Hook and Mi An like this.
  4. DTM

DTM ---

Got the e-mail and tried transferring my library with pretty much the same result as everyone else. They didn't claim not to recognize my e-mail address, but simply said the transfer couldn't complete and to try again later. Not likely. This was essentially an academic exercise, since I had only one purchased book in the account: a dictionary. Browsing around, I did find the list of books that they sold to others that won't transfer. It is appallingly long.

But the experience did confirm my determination not to rely on "the cloud", because you never know when there'll be a "cloudburst" like this, and furthermore I'm not relying on any vendor who claims to maintain a library that can readily be transferred to subsequent devices that I purchase. Accordingly (for this and some other reasons) I've installed an, ahem, nonstandard Calibre plugin. My Nook book library--I have purchased several of those--is already on my hard drive, and I have taken the appropriate steps to protect my purchases, regardless of what B&N does. (Note to B&N: Rest assured that your rights are safer protected by my integrity than by your DRM. And considerably more than my rights would be protected by your integrity.) For those of you who don't deal with B&N, I don't think you're any safer relying on Amazon, Apple, or anyone else.

And a suggestion for r0k and others in the same situation, with the appropriate "nonstandard" plugin, Calibre can convert eReader books to just about any format you wish.

5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I was late to the transfer process (Sunday), my email was recognized, and I was told to expect an email with a code that would start the process this week. I figured it would come early in the week or not at all, given the holiday. I'm starting to think 'not at all' is how it's gonna be. I don't really care when it completes, but I'd like to get my code and be sure to get it started before I forget about and then the deadline to do it passes.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I just received an email from B&N claiming to have fixed the problem with a new URL. We shall see. Can't try until tonight. :rolleyes:

7. DTM

DTM ---

Well, on my second try, which was this week, I got through and was told it succeeded and the information I need to complete the transfer would come in an e-mail, to be sent last week.

Now, does that mean I need a time machine, or will theirs suffice?

Not looking good.

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I got that message yesterday and the "we do not recognize your email" error from today's email.

What the hell?

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Incompetency rising to a new level. :rolleyes:

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I also got the email from B&N and submitted my permission to transfer and am also waiting the week or whatever. I guess we'll see what happens.

RickAgresta likes this.