RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Ok, this is crossing over into jaw-dropping levels of incompetence. I can't believe B&N hasn't even attempted to fix this, or sent an apology email for this epic failure.

And FWIW, I have some PR contacts over there thanks to Gear Diary, and no one has answered my inquiries about how they plan to fix this...but if they do I will let everyone know.

RickAgresta likes this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I received the email as well, but have not yet attempted. Thanks for trying to find out more information QF. :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

:) I don't even have that many books at ereader, but it's the principle of the thing...

I figure I will send emails, give 24-48hrs in between, and then start posting the emails and their lack of a response on Gear Diary until they take action (or blacklist me from ever being a B&N customer again).

I see it like this: I am a consumer of digital goods. There are very few times that large scale operations like Fictionwise and eReader shut down, and so this "transition" is setting a precedent for how others may be handled in the future. I don't want to let them get away with blowing off the issues just because I only have a few books, and most savvy people have downloaded all their titles already; there are plenty of other users (like HAL) for whom this is a much bigger inconvenience. And next time, it might be something where I have a bigger monetary stake, and I don't want to be treated the way B&N is treating ereader and Fictionwise users!

RickAgresta, DTM, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  4. headcronie

Tried my link - email not found. Woot yeah! :mad:

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Welcome to the club!

Was your account ereader or fictionwise? I have a theory that B&N didn't properly set up the ereader side and that's why all our email addresses are coming up as "not found".

RickAgresta and hal like this.
  6. headcronie

eReader, formerly Peanut Press. Pass the popcorn if you can please...

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

The IIIc was color and the backlighting was white. It was practically useless outside in any sort of daylight but I could read it as long as I wanted in the dark without eyestrain, even with only 160 X 160 pixels. Later I picked up a TRG Pro, which is really just a modified Palm III that takes (eats!) triple A's but was both daylight-readable but very uncomfortable to read in the dark. That one had a green backlight.

And yes, it's good to hear from Chet again.....................

Mi An likes this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

It occurs to me now what the 'c' stands for :eek:

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have the IIIxe. What does 'xe' stand for?

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and Mi An like this.
  10. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I checked Wikipedia and the answer seems to be that it has more memory than the IIIe and the IIIx. It seems all 3 of those took triple A's. Does yours get near the possible one month battery life? The c lasted a long time on its non-removeable NiMH's but the TRG Pro scarfed up lots of battery even when not in use.

RickAgresta likes this.