RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

MOD NOTE: Two threads about this topic have been merged and this thread is now located in the eReaders forum. :)

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

After I finished collecting all my purchases, I went ahead and opted into the transfer. Call it a plan C. I'm to expect an email about the transfer beginning sometime after monday. I guess they've been a little overloaded. I've read other transferees over at MR who initially got very few books transferred were starting to see the number increase, so hopefully more of Chet's library will eventually cross over.

3. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I also got an error that my email address did not match what they had on record. It was the same email I had for 10 years.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Chet, despite your snide question, I was only pointing out that the other responses didn't seem to corroborate what you wrote. Perhaps, as mentioned, I misunderstood what exactly you meant in your exceedingly brief original comment. We can quibble over the definition of 'lost;' but your original comment seemed to signal displeasure. I guess commiserating with you was a mistake. Don't worry, I won't make it again.

5. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Sorry to have taken exception to being called a liar. As my interests have changed over the years and Brighthand has also changed over the years, it will not be a loss to me or the forum if I no longer frequent this forum. I really don't need the hassle.

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Let's face it; you basically called him a liar and he was insulted. :mad: Will you please ask yourself how you'd feel if you read your first post & it was directed at you? You'd be angry, too. Then getting snotty after trying to explain yourself was just wrong. Sometimes we all screw up but this time it was you.

Chet L., you have nothing to be sorry for. This incident is not reflective of Brighthand and we would miss you. :(

RickAgresta and DTM like this.
  7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

As limiting as the old Palm IIIc was, it had one quality that I have yet to experience with any later device: it was perfectly comfortable to read in the dark. Granted, it was because its backlighting was wimpy but in this case, it was an advantage. It's because pda's, smartphones and tablets lack this ability that I'm set on buying an e-ink device.

At least now I know I'm not alone with the "we don't know you" thing but I don't have a lot of titles out there, anyway.

hal likes this.
  8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

AFAIG's, all my titles are available, but workie has kept me busy and I haven't had the time to try them. Cause I wanna try them all and grab down as much as I can, before anything else goes awry on the site. I 'believe' I do have local back-ups, but people, I don't own just a handful of ebooks. Besides, I don't store my books by acquiring source, supplier, or the like. I bet that Varjak and me do the same thing, I mean, try to have a digital bookshelf in the same orderly fashion as an IRL bookshelf.

Therefore, searching through my entire e-library is not just like that. I will have to run an entire procedure in order to verify the amounted losses at eReader. Cause there WILL be titles that I won't be able to DL. OK, perhaps most of you consider all this eReader issue a very trivial thing. And you will show a lot of common sense if you do consider it that way. But sorry, there is something with me and books (any bells ringing, Varjak?) that this is not a minor announcement to me. I was really disappointed years ago when eReader and corporate-upwards decided that my money was not good with them anymore. In the meantime, lots of other developers and corporations reply to emails like if they were your buddies, inquiring in-depth about you and the subject that took you to them, and as I said about Amazon, as long as there's a traceable banking source (and they're not asking for anything unreasonable), they put the thing in a cardboard box and ship it to you. Or open a download gate and spare the cardboard box for something else. There are so many of these persons, responsible of their offers, and responsible and responsive to their customer base, that I just can't figure eReader wasn't one of them. WTF are the Visa / MasterCard systems for, anyway?

I have been so well-treated by so many people willing to do clean and durable business, to the point where I wonder if eReader's lack of support on these subjects isn't actually one of the features that took them to this situation. I live in a country where there's always an economic crisis in course, or in the works. During any of the latter, companies usually go out of business, and it may be sad in general guidelines. But if you look closer, you're gonna find out why many of them are shutting down. Like a lot of unresolved liabilities, poor tax reporting, not paying to their suppliers, poor occupational policies, evading social security in the payroll, and so on. In short, it's not the economy, but the sum of all their sins that puts them to a final challenge when the environment puts them to capsize.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

@LS, Did it have a green backlight? On my m500, just the text (or anything black) glowed an easy and inoffensive green (though I wouldn't call it wimpy). It was a dreamy reader for me even long after I upgraded to color. I still read green on black today because of it.

Agreed. It'd be great if you stuck around. :newpalm:

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Please note - Varjak has been removed from the forum. You may reference posts by Varjak, but this member will no longer be responding to posts.
    Thank you for for your understanding.