RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Did the same thing to me and I *know* the email is the same. I have all my ereader books stored, but wouldn't mind being able to read some on a Nook app. What a CF. I was unlikely to buy a Nook tablet, but I wasn't previously dead set on not buying one. Good work, folks.

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

A long time ago (when the first post agency tumbleweed started rolling through the domain) I DL'd my ebooks for safekeeping. I even printed out a list to check that I had them all, but I never actually checked it. I finally started tonight, and there are some missing, FYI. I had downloaded mine by purchase, so if anyone downloaded any type of compilation, it's worth at least checking to make sure your favorites are intact. On a few already, I've gotten zips that had half of the items purchased on that receipt, and I wouldn't have known it wasn't the whole lot without checking. I've also run into a couple that fictionwise won't let me download, and while fortunately it's probably not too late to grab those off an sd card somewhere, I'm glad I know now and not right after doing a bunch of deleting, thinking I had a full backup elsewhere.

I'm sure everyone else was smarter and more responsible than I, just FYI.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Just checking around the news over here, after a particularly harsh day at workie, and it seems the harsh things are not just IRL. Well this announcement, very-timely on behalf of questionfear, is yet another chronicle of an announced death.

When I got my first Palm, one of the first things I did was installing eReader (then Palm Reader still) and start getting books. eReader was one of the first websites where I registered a banking plastic. I purchased quite a number, even though many of the books of my interest are not even offered in any ebook format, let alone in US shopping websites. And besides those purchases, I used to get a lot of freebies, commonly available at eReader. Until something happened around the dates when B&N acquired both FictionWise and eReader, and all of a sudden I couldn't get anything else over there. A new policy established that eReader, and upwards in the corporate belongings, only accepted US-based banking accounts. So much for the so-called loyalty to the customer.

IMO, this is one of the situations that started killing eReader and FictionWise. Only US banking accounts. In the meanwhile, Amazon will take your money and ship your order to Antarctica if you feel like traveling there in order to receive it. I used to think that Amazon's core business was printed books. No, it's "tell me what you wanna buy, I'll get it and ship it to you". That's what they sell. Perhaps B&N thinks that only US and perhaps UK accounts are reliable, or their fiscal methods are compliant with, or whatever they got in mind, but there is much more of an earth surface around.

I am even hesitant to get into eReader's website only to reveal that my bookshelf has been mutilated. Plundered. Cause I follow Anonymous at Twitter, and if any of my books is missing, I'm gonna ask those new members of the Revolution to go pay eReader a visit. I believe I got all my ebooks backed up locally. But I will be pissed off anyway. You don't do that to a customer.

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Got this email yesterday. It's long but I will copy it here for the benefit of others who may be affected.

Note: when I went to the link, I got a notice that the link will only work for the email address to whom it was sent. It then directs that you contact Fictionwise or Ereader.com support directly so that's what you will have to do rather than using the link here.

Dear eReader.com Customer,

As you may know, in March of 2009, Fictionwise, comprised of several eBook retail websites, including Fictionwise.com , eReader.com and eBookwise.com, was acquired by Barnes & Noble.

eReader.com is in the process of winding down its operations, and eReader.com will end sales on December 4, 2012. Please note you will not be able to access your eReader.com Bookshelf after December 21, 2012.

An Easy Transition to Barnes & Noble's NOOK® Reading Experience

We know how important eBooks are to you, and we'd like to offer you the opportunity to transfer your eReader.com Bookshelf to a NOOK Library by following the steps below.

You will be able to read the transferred eBooks that you purchased at eReader.com by downloading NOOK's free mobile app to your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, or you can read your transferred eBooks with your PC/Mac web browser, NOOK® for Windows 8 PC or tablet, as well as on the award-winning NOOK® devices. If you would like to transfer your eReader.com eBooks in your eReader.com Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, simply opt-in by following the steps below.

Step 1:

Click through to the link below to go to the opt-in page, where you'll be instructed to confirm that you would like your eReader.com eBooks in your eReader.com Bookshelf transferred to a NOOK Library. Please opt-in by December 21, 2012.

Step 2:

Once you opt-in, you will receive an email from Barnes & Noble.com with an access code and instructions for redeeming this code. This access code represents the eReader.com eBooks in your eReader.com Bookshelf that are being transferred to a NOOK Library for you. You will also see a link to a code redemption page.

Click through to the redemption page and simply enter your code as prompted. This will move your existing eBooks into a NOOK Library. Please redeem this code by January 31, 2013.

How Will the Transition Work?

· Once you enter your access code, if you do not already have a Barnes & Noble.com account you will be prompted to create an account connected with this email address.
    · When you create your Barnes & Noble.com account, you will be asked for a credit card. A credit card is required to access some secured titles. Please note, however, that your credit card will not be charged for any of the titles that you transferred from eReader nor for the transfer itself.
    · A few eReader titles may not transfer due to discontinued publishing programs. You will be able to see which titles are not able to be transferred by clicking here. In most cases, you can back up these eReader.com files to your personal hard drive on a Mac or PC. To learn more about backing up these files, please click here FAQ PAGE - eReader.com Bookshelf Transfer to Barnes & Noble's NOOK Library.
    · Subscriptions to magazines will not transfer. Please note that these subscriptions have been fulfilled through November 2012. Any remaining balance in the subscription will be refunded and subscription holders will receive a separate communication regarding this refund.

Please note that once the eReader.com eBooks are transferred to a NOOK Library, the eBooks will be in ePub format. The ePub titles that will appear in your new NOOK Library cannot be read on eReader legacy applications and devices.

If you elect to opt in, please note that any eBooks you have purchased at eReader.com from October 23 to December 4, 2012 will not be part of the initial transfer process, but will be automatically transferred to your NOOK Library starting December 10, 2012.

A reminder: Whether or not you opt in to have your eReader eBooks transferred to a NOOK Library by December 21, 2012, you should download any titles and/or files you plan to read on an application or on a device that does not support ePub. You can learn more about downloading your eReader.com files here: FAQ PAGE - eReader.com Bookshelf Transfer to Barnes & Noble's NOOK Library.

To transfer your eReader.com eBooks to a NOOK Library, click here to go to the opt-in page.

Fiction Wise Opt in - Barnes*&*Noble

Please opt-in by December 21, 2012.

What if I don't opt-in to have my eBooks transferred?

After December 21, 2012, your eReader.com Bookshelf will no longer be accessible via the eReader.com website. If you decide not to opt-in to have your eReader.com Bookshelf transferred to NOOK, you will need to make sure that, if you haven't done so already, you have downloaded your eBooks to continue reading these eBooks through eReader.com legacy applications and devices. You can learn more about downloading your eReader.com files here: FAQ PAGE - eReader.com Bookshelf Transfer to Barnes & Noble's NOOK Library.

Information about Rewards Dollars

Please take a moment to use your Rewards Dollars at eReader.com, as they will not be valid after December 4, 2012. Please note that any eBooks purchased at eReader.com after you have opted-in to transfer to a NOOK Library at Barnes & Noble will not be part of the initial transfer process. As noted above, a second transfer will be possible for titles purchased between October 23 December 4, 2012 and you will automatically be eligible for this second transfer once opted-in.

If you don't use your Rewards Dollars by December 4, you will receive a separate email regarding the refund on any balance in your account.

For more information about how you can transfer your eReader.com Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, including additional details on how the transition will apply to Rewards Dollars and more, please visit our FAQ web page: FAQ PAGE - eReader.com Bookshelf Transfer to Barnes & Noble's NOOK Library

We greatly appreciate your support of eReader.com over the years. Together, we helped pioneer eBooks and eReading.

Thank you.

The eReader.com Team

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Yes, that's the email we refer to.. It's a crock since I know the email is right-- I can still use it to log in to ereader and, for pete's sake, it's the emal they sent the notice to. I contacted them and, so far, prolonged silence. As I said, CF.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  6. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Sorry things are going rough in real life hal :( And I'm sorry B&N screwed you over too. They didn't do one frakking thing to improve the place, but they just had to dig around and screw things up anyway. :mad: I'm glad Amazon, at least, has your back.

I do remember those early days when there were only two types of commercial ebooks: romance and star trek. It was actually a lot like the early days of the web itself. My m500 was a brilliant reader, and I was buying anything I could in eformat from palmdigitalmedia. And then the sales, OH the sales! Remember the 75% off ones? Getting a book and a killer deal in the same swoop was almost too much for my stingy little book-loving heart to take. Good times... :newpalm: :(

Edit:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Mayans... they were right all along.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Chet, it doesn't sound like that's entirely true.

8. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Please enlighten me. Which part of what I said is not true?

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

I got the ereader email so I tried to log in. It says I don't have an account. I guess not logging in since some time in 2005 makes me too inactive to log in only not too inactive to get an email nagging me about losing my book(s). I only remember "buying" one book. I think it was called "Ride the Bullet" by Stephen King. I probably still have it on some backup of a backup around here. Oh well. Like many others, most of my books are in Amazon format so I can read them in almost any browser and on almost any device. I actively keep them downloaded to my iPad and iPhone. I'm looking into getting an iPad mini so it is even lighter and even easier to carry around and I'll be putting them all on there as well. It turns out the iPhone 5 is a lot better than the 4 for reading ebooks. Just that little extra strip of pixels makes a huge difference in landscape but for longer reading sessions I still prefer my iPad. It irks me that iBooks is still not available on OSX so Kindle is my main reader. If I can find a way to convert my old ereader book(s) to Kindle, I'll do it but I'm not interested in Nook right now.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

r0k, years ago "Ride the Bullet" was offered as a free ebook for a day or so from Stephen King as a boost to ebooks. I got it, too. :)

Remember the FREE ebooks (normally pay) at eReader.com that were offered during mid-December thru New Year's Eve for about 5 years in a row? :cool:

Varjak, I think what Chet L. may be referring to is that the transfer process itself is flawed & failed, not that the ebooks weren't there anymore. I opted to skip the transfer nonsense altogether and instead checked the contents of My Bookshelf at eReader yesterday against my downloaded & backed up ebooks folder that I've kept since the beginning of my ebooks experience.

I never had much use for Fictionwise. Although I have an account there, not much there ever appealed to me, expecially after being able to use Kindle Reader on my Apple devices since 2009. I download from Amazon (although I admit to being a bit distressed over the fact that we don't actually "own" ebooks that we've paid $$$ for. :mad: )

hal likes this.