RIP Fictionwise and ereader

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Mi An likes this.
  2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Can't figure out how to edit in tapatalk so here's the fictionwise FAQ:

www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

Sales end on Dec 4, bookshelves in the USA are gone as of Dec 21, outside the USA they are gone January 31.

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Heh. Makes it sound like they were actually doing some maintaining. Ereader especially has been a zombie site since they bought it. Same thing Amazon did to mobi. Because, ages ago, I cared about ereader, B&N's treatment of it is one factor that sent me to Amazon. Had I been into mobi, I'd have likely done just the opposite. ;)

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Well...I was trying to phrase it politely. :)

Apparently people who have been notified about transferring their books are finding very few titles actually transfer. Lets hope it's a glitch and not a 10% success rate...because the few ereader/fictionwise customers out there are not going to shop BN if this gets badly borked.

5. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Out of over 400 books from ereader and fictionwise, I had a total of nine (9) books transfer. I am not impressed! I made sure I had copies of all the rest and have started to do that which needs to be done to make the books readable on my nook Color and my wife's nook Tablet.

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

B&N had a pretty fair opportunity to convert me. The first nook reader supported ereader pdbs, not hard since even the epubs from B&N use the same DRM, and for a long time, much of their own library was in pdbs. They dropped the support quick and were never particularly responsive to ereader/fictionwise folks.

A library transfer sounds great (until you read Chet's post 0.o ), that might have hooked me some time ago. Instead, they slapped their name all over the eerie remains of my once hallowed haunt and abandoned me. How did they think I would feel about them after that?

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Wow. If I 'lost' 400 books, I'd be ballistic. That's why, as I wrote in another thread, I want to OWN my books (and music, video, etc.). I have ereader on my Palm; but I never used it for much. I typically used another program and mostly for public domain books from Memoware and Project Gutenberg.

hal likes this.
  8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Oops, forgot to add that it's a bit lame that US users get a month less than overseas users. That's not a lot of time.

9. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

I didn't lose the books, I have a folder that I keep my books in on my computer and backup. All I lost was cloud storage and I don't ever rely on that. I just verified that my library contained all the books that I have purchased over the years and said my goodbyes to ereader and fictionwise. I also checked on diesel ebooks and powells to make sure my library contained that which I have purchased.

10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I got my transfer email from ereader and clicked the link, only to get the dreaded "we don't recognize your email address" error.

Hope they fix this...I don't have more than a handful of ereader titles but if I had a ton and was counting on this transfer I would be PISSED.