RIM vs. India and Saudi Arabia: Let's Make a Deal on Encrypted Data Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Jacqueline Emigh, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacqueline Emigh

Jacqueline Emigh TechnologyGuide Editor

India could be inching closer to Saudi Arabia in reaching an agreement for Research in Motion (RIM) to comply with demands for access to the encrypted messages of BlackBerry customers. Without an agreement, BlackBerry service will be shut down in this country.

Read the full content of this Article: RIM vs. India and Saudi Arabia: Let's Make a Deal on Encrypted Data

Related Articles:

BlackBerry Torch Launches from AT&T

BlackBerry Curve 3G Headed for T-Mobile

BlackBerry Bold 9700, Bold 9650 Getting an Upgrade to OS 6.0, BlackBerry Storm2 Is Not

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

It's hard to say that the UAE is MORE repressive than Saudi Arabia.

All of this discussion (not meant as a criticism of this article) seems to ignore the huge pink elephant in the room. Is there any way in heck that the US Gov't. doesn't have a way to intercept and unencrypt BB communications (warrant or not)? I can't believe that the NSA etc. would let that stand.

3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I've never been one to buy into "conspiracy theories," but I suspect you're right, V, whether anybody would ever admit it or not. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the article. My guess is that countries such as those mentioned in the article get more press because of their otherwise horrendous records on human rights in general.

I don't consider a single communication I do electronically to be "secure." It might be secure from the casual user / observer, but not from anybody who really wants to know (and would be utterly bored by what they found if they looked.)

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I suspect they are talking about BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) not BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). I assure you, Government BES servers are hosted and encrypted in the US and there is no doubt or secret that anything on a US government BB is subject to scruitiny. Corporate BBs also use BES. The corporation also has access to all communications.

I don't know that much about consumer BBs, but suspect they don't use BES.

5. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The official U.S. position is that law enforcement can obtain decrypted contents of BlackBerry messages from RIM with a warrant.

It's possible that deep in the bowels of the NSA there exists a way to decrypt these messages without a warrant, but if so no one has admitted it.

I'm not clear if the Patriot Act made this legal or not. It seems to have made it legal for the government to do any surveillance on U.S. citizens it wants to without a warrant, all in the guise of keeping us "safe".
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

JRakes, I'm like you. I don't consider such comms to be secure; and it always amazes me what people include in e-mails, texts, etc. Mind boggling.

By the way, I see I wrote 'unencrypt.' Duh. I must have been drunk or something. I know it's 'decrypt.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.