Reviews of iPhone/iPod Touch Apps

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Pupator, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Mobile Deity

Yeah, it's probably games and multimedia software (photo/graphics/audio editing apps) that'll eat up noticeable chunks of space. For example, Dungeon Hunter is a game that's similar to the PC, action RPG game Diablo, and this has a footprint of 224MB. Others that feature fancy graphics and seemingly large levels/features can go around 20 to 90MB each.

2. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

I'd totally forgot about this thread of app reviews, ... ahhhh ... love the breath of fresh air of folks who "use their device" sans all the gripes and moaning on other threads, ... er ... OT there's quite a difference between those who are higher end users and fanboys ... this thread is an example of why I originally came to BH, news, reviews, and how to get the most out of your device, carry on ... oh yeah, BOT ...

Application: (the new) Weather Channell
    Price: Free
    Requirements: None?
    Grade: A
    -------------
    Now includes video more amusing than anything, and new feature which was flawless on a recent east coast trip, current location.

Application: (the new) Dragon (Dictation)
    Grade: B
    -------------

This may have been mentioned before. I bring it up again because it is a great deterrent to texting while driving ... or it may be just as bad, who knows. Works well even in car, downside, can't seem to do Spanish names like "Graciela." I've almost completely moved away from note.app for short messages to Dragon. The options to send are what you'd expect: text, email, copy, but NEW are twitter and facebook, have not used it but ...

Application: Starbucks
    Grade: D
    -------------
    Totally sucks now in 11 states (just finished a college east coast tour) ... from West coast to East coast it is hard as heck to find an actual Starbucks to use this app at ... shame on Starbucks, got me all excited, in Silicon Valley no less, several stores looked at me like I was crazy ... oh well, I guess I didn't read the fine print, "this app is only useful in select elite stores that no consumers actually buy frapps in." LOL

3. Don Carter

Don Carter Mobile Evangelist

I have been away from BH for a some time...caught between a Palm Tx and Ipod Touch. I am still using both but leaning toward Ipod Touch.

App: Awesome Note
    Cost: $3.99
    There is a free lite app to try it out.

I have not been able to sync Outlook Notes to Ipod touch so began the search for a Note app that synced to Evernote or Google Docs. This one does both. I moved all my Outlook Notes over to Evernote and synce with Awesome Note on my Ipod Touch. I am in heaven. The app allows categories of notes with quick notes that can be written with you finger. It also has the ability for Todo's with notification. I have never looked back at the standard Ipod Touch app.
    Note: I have paired an old Palm Bluetooth keyboard to my Ipod Touch and now use Awesome Notes as a replacement for my Daynotez app on my old Palm Tx.

App: Fastfinga
    Cost: $1.99

This app allows you to write on the screen with your finger. It is a great fast note taking app. I bought this app before I found Awesome Note app. It is great way to do screen write notes and save them in folders. I actually use both of these apps almost daily.

4. Palm User 001

Palm User 001 Mobile Enthusiast

5. Naughtypic

Naughtypic Tech freek

Application : viber
    Price: free
    Requirments: iPhone
    Grade: A+

An application to make iPhone to iPhone calls.
    No international calling charges. Works even if the other
    Person is not on the application.
    Rings like a normal phone call and u answer.

Greatest free international calling option. More info

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Naughtypic, how does it work? Any limitations? In my experience, if something sounds too good to be true (free int'l iphone-to-iphone calls, etc.) it usually is.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

This is a little out of date now that there's a Verizon iPhone, but might shed some light:
    Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

8. dewa

dewa Newbie

Application: Indonesia Paradise
    Requirements: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch

=================================================

Very interesting applications. Contains of Indonesia tourism object such as, Mount Bromo, Gedong Songo temple, Ijen Crater, and many others. Equipped with hight resolutions pictures, and also descriptions about tourism object make it very usefull for traveller.

Enjoy Indonesia

9. dewa

dewa Newbie

Application: Asian Recipes - Fried Rice Creations
    Price: $0.99

------------

This is an applications that suitable for people who wanna learn to cook Asian Cuisine. Contain 50 recipes creation on making fried rice. Equipped with high resolutions picturs. The recipes is easy to follow, and the ingridients is easy to get. You can used anything on your referidge to make your own fried rice.
    Very useful applications.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Application: Cross Fingers
    Requirements: any iOS device
    Looks great on iPad but is a little cramped on iPhone when playing higher levels of difficulty.
    Grade: A+ A must have iOS game.
    Review here.

--------------
    This app is for iOS what Nintai was to Blackberry. A game that is unplayable with a mouse but is a heck of a lot of fun with multitouch. Check it out!

11. ericka1

ericka1 Newbie

Application: Snap-A-Note
    Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G. Requires iOS 3.0 or later
    -------------
    Incredibly useful app especially if you tend to be forgetful. Follows the theory of Picture Superiority Effect (PSE). By simply tapping your screen, you can instantly take a photo of the item that you need to remember such as a price tag, book cover or wine label, and send the picture you took to your email or your friend’s email.

Photos can be scaled into three different sizes: Small (33.6KB), Medium (81.2KB), and Actual Size (500KB). You can even include a written message/note when you email the photo you took for a better description of the task or item that you or your friend have to do or purchase. Also allows to send your photo note to multiple addresses at once.:)

12. sugaar

sugaar Newbie

Application: Star Walk
    Price: $2.99
    Requirements: iPhone 4s/4/3gs/3g, iPod touch 5/4/3

Absolutely in love with Star Walk, probably all stargazers would love it. You just point your iPhone towards the sky and it says what you're looking at!! With the bunch of info and facts about any constellation, star or planet. It has all moon phases and a calendar of celestial events like eclipses and conjunction, so you can always set a reminder for it. All my family loves it sooo much.
    Hope you guys enjoy it as well :)

13. dewa

dewa Newbie

Application: Asian Recipes - Best Soup Recipes
    Price: $1.99

------------
    This application is suitable for those who like Asian cuisine that can be cooked quickly. a variety of recipes and the ingredients that used are also quite easy to find. This application is much better than any other applications, and this application offer you the convenience to the users. The picture is in high resolution, the steps are pretty easy to follow, and the price is quite cheap. It's highly recommended application.

14. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

That seems fairly expensive for an app specializing in soup recipes. The Times did a good survey of recipe apps, and most are either free or $1 for many more recipes. Not to mention great websites like Epicurious.com.