Reviews of iPhone/iPod Touch Apps

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Pupator, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Thought it would be a good idea to keep these in one place for a while. I'm going to do some quick, first look reviews that I'll update with more info later.

Application: Remote
    Price: Free
    Requirements: iTunes, PC or Mac
    Grade: A++
    -------------
    This is incredible. It's no surprise that Apple's application would be the fastest, smoothest one out there. All you have to do is connect your device to the same wifi network as your computer. Then you open "Remote" on the iPhone/Touch and click "Add a New Library." It will give you a pin code and by this time your phone will have appeared in iTunes on your computer as a device. Click it - enter the PIN and you're off.

You can access all the songs, playlists, videos, etc. by using your iPhone/Touch as a remote. Press play on a song and the computer speakers start playing.

This is an incredibly useful app for me when my PC is in one room but streams to my Bluetooth speakers in another room. Great, great stuff.

Votopin likes this.
  2. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: SmugShot
    Requires: SmugMug Photo Sharing Account
    Grade: B
    -------------
    Smugshot integrates the iPhone's camera with Smugmug - the best photosharing site on the web. You open SmugShot, enter your login information (only the first time), and choose the default directory for uploads. Then you use the phones camera (through the app) and it will automatically post your photos (with geotagging) to your gallery.

The app itself works quite well and is only limited by the (I think) sorryness of the iPhone camera. Perhaps the 3G iPhone has a better camera. Still, it's neat for quick snapshots to share with others; and the geotagging is pretty cool.

3. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Midomi
    Requirements: None
    Grade: C
    -------------
    Midomi claims that it can find whatever song you're looking for - with lots of way to find it. You can sing or hum and it can identify the song. Or you can hold it up to the speakers if a song is playing and it will identify it. Finally you can say or type the artist, song name, or lyrics and it will find it.

I had a 0% success rate singing into it - and I'm not that bad.
    I had a 10% success rate holding it up to a speaker (1/10).
    I can type song names into the iTunes store and find what I need.

This would be a neat application if I had a higher success rate, but as it is I'm not impressed.

4. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Baseball
    Grade: A (if you're a baseball geek)
    -------------
    The ultimate app for baseball geeks. Quite simply it's an interface for a DB of baseball stats. You pick the team, then the player, then the year and it gives you that players stats for the year. The stats are broken down into sections for personal, batting, pitching, and fielding.

The app could be improved by adding information about specific games (playoffs) but it's very good as is.

5. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: eReader
    Requirements: eReader.com account
    Grade: B (Wish there was a way to import my own, free books.)
    -------------
    eReader is a robust eBook application that comes with two books - Tarzan and Last of the Mohicans (great book if you haven't read it).

Books open quickly and look great on the screen. The bookshelf (list of books you have) is easy to navigate and adding books is as easy as clicking a + button that takes you to your eReader.com account. Classic books are as cheap as $2. Other (newer) books range between $5-$20.

Within the eReader software you can turn pages with a simple swipe (would be nice if the volume button did this too) and there's a toolbar for searching books for specific words. You can also change the display font.

6. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Evernote
    Requirements: Evernote account
    Grade: A+
    -------------
    You have to use Evernote to understand it. Imagine a world where you can instantly store anything you need to remember in any form that you want. Want to write it down? Okay. Want to take a picture? Okay. Want to record an audio note? Okay.

This app lets you do it on your iPhone. You can also download the software that lets you do it on your computer. Amazing, amazing stuff if you've got a lot to rememeber.

The app itself is snappy and easy to use. Put in your account information and you're off.

Additional info from RobbM: Evernote's "servers have OCR (optical character recognition) technology, so if you take a picture of, say, a sign or a menu or something with words on it, after a few minutes (or less actually), the OCR will allow you to search for the text in the photo itself. I've tried it with handwritten notes, and it works, but it pays to have really good handwriting!"

7. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Google
    -------------
    Google is, obviously, a search app. You open it and type in a term and it looks for the term in all kinds of places. If you start typing a name it will search your contacts as well as the web. As soon as you start typing it quickly suggests lots of options to hurry things along.

The app works well enough, though it would be nice if it also searched your notes and e-mails.

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

This is a gentle reminder for members to keep this thread On Topic since it involves reviews of new software. :)

9. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Although I've not been brave enough to do the early update to my iPhone, I'd like to add a "Harumph!" to Pup's review of Evernote. This is a fantastic service that makes it easy to keep track of just about everything. And one thing that Pup didn't mention is that their servers have OCR (optical character recognition) technology, so if you take a picture of, say, a sign or a menu or something with words on it, after a few minutes (or less actually), the OCR will allow you to search for the text in the photo itself. I've tried it with handwritten notes, and it works, but it pays to have really good handwriting!

I've got 2 apps in the bin: Remote and Evernote.

10. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Jolt
    Requirements: Jolt Account
    Grade:
    -------------
    I liked that you could register for a Jolt account on the iPhone itself, including being sent the confirmation link via SMS.

Jott is a notekeeper and a todo keeper. You can call the jott phone number to record notes and it will transcribe them into text. This did not happen quickly for me over EDGE.

I shouldn't give Jott a grade because it seems pretty good but I didn't test all the features as I'm already a fan of Evernote.

11. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Movies.app
    Grade: B+
    -------------
    I did not expect to be impressed by Movies.app. You put in your zip code and it tells you (by film or by theater) where and when your movie is playing. Because it relies on online information you have to be connected to the web. For that reason, I didn't really see any advantage in this over the 500 web apps that already to the same thing.

But, I think it won me over. It's quick and it has extra helpful information. For example, when you pick a movie in addition to getting the showtimes for your local theater, you get to see the length, genre, rating, and it has a link both to watch the trailer and to see the movie info on IMDb. Pretty nice.

There are also sections to see box office results and information about movies that are opening soon.

12. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: People
    Grade: B+
    -------------
    People is a "white pages" application that you can use to search for phone numbers and addresses when you know someone's name and their location. It's pretty neat because once it finds the person you have the option to immediately add them to your address book. It's a bit slow (on EDGE) but it works well.

13. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Save Benjis
    Requirements:
    Grade: A++
    -------------
    I had a web app that did this before and I loved it. When you're out shopping sometimes you can't remember what something cost online. This helps you find out. You enter in the barcode info or the product name and it searches the most common online destinations for it and shows you the price.

This app also has the ability to search in specific categories of prodcuts and several ways to refine your search. Very nice.

14. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: SourceForge Net News
    Requirements:
    -------------
    Simply put, this is an RSS reader for the news feeds from /. - Freshmeat, Thinkgeek, Linux.com, and SF.net. Good stuff for geeks. There's not much to this one.

15. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: SportsTap
    Grade: ??
    -------------
    I've used SportsTap for as long as the website has existed. Great place to go to get quick sports scores including box scores. No news, no info, no hype (ehem, ESPN) - just the scores.

My problem with the app is that it's no different from the Web app - including the requirement (obviously) for an internet connection. So I'm not sure what the point of this is when I could just keep using the web app.

16. Pupator

Pupator Guest

Application: Paypal
    Requirements: Paypal account
    Grade: D (slow and not terribly useful for me)
    -------------
    So you're in the grocery store line and it occurs to you that you forgot to send your uncle Leo his monthly allowance. No problem, send it with Paypal from your iPod/Touch.

I guess this is useful for folks who use their Paypal account like a checking account and use the debit card (are you nuts?) because you can check your balance. For me, sending my money flying around is important enough that I'd prefer to be at a real computer. But whatever. For me the interface was quite slow, but that could be an EDGE limitation rather than the app. It sure seems to lock up the phone for a minute or two though. I'm not sure EDGE is to blame...

Added input from Yorker: "Along with the Paypal app and the eBay app, it would be sooo much easier to search and manage your store on the go."

17. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

Is the eBay app out yet in the Appstore? Along with the Paypal app and the eBay app, it would be sooo much easier to search and manage your store on the go.

18. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Evernote sounds like MS Office's Onenote (though, I have never tried the handheld version). That's not a complaint, I would love that on my Touch when I get one.

What did you mean you can't add free books for ereader? A format limitation or and ability to get them on the iphone/ touch limitation. Any possibility of going to Manybooks.net and downloading in ereader format?

19. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

I know it is free but I wonder how it compares to Apple's .mac/mobileme photo tools? anyone? BTW, I thought you said you had to get to work, LOL?
    or how about advantage over Yahoo!Movies/Favorites
    search like spotlight?

20. yorker

yorker Mobile Deity

How much space do the apps take up on the iPhone? This would be a good idea around what version/GB to get.