Reviews of Android OS Apps

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yes, but it's only contacts, calendar, and notes too, which is pretty limited.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Well, not notes. That's from mounting the handheld as a file system, drag/copying it over to the PC, and barbarically using diff and vimdiff. However, it does sync tasks & notes without such manual intervention if you install another app on your phone.

I'm not saying it is the all-singing all-dancing utility to sync with Outlook. It doesn't pretend to be. It's focus is on security and reliability. You can compare it to more-singing, more-dancing alternatives, but a perusal of their reviews quickly gives you an idea of how robust/reliable they are. And as I said, I place a premium in knowing when sync didn't work or didn't fully work. My PIM info is not just something I maintain because it's nice to have, and if it is accurate & complete, oh well, that's cool. Nope. Apps that corrupt PIM data should, in my opinion, die a quick death in the market place, especially if it hides this fact and lets you manage you life without any awareness of missed/wrong appointments and lost/mixed-up contact info. That kind of functionality is in the province of malware. But somehow, this as become normalized, and people grudging accept it as such. Victims suck it up and shuffle on.

As I sort of indicated previously, it's just hard to believe the kind of things that we have come to accept.

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I thought your original comment said notes could be synced as well; but clunkily. Either way, not a big deal.

4. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Oy, you're right. I should clarify that it doesn't sync tasks and notes on virgin Android because there are no native apps for tasks and notes. However, AkrutoSync's site does indicate what app *does* provide those two functions on Android, and AkrutoSync emulates a Microsoft Exchange Server to that app in order to sync it with Outlook's tasks & notes. I don't do that because I try not to install apps just so I don't have to worry about the security aspects. So my substitute for notes (not tasks, as I don't use that) is to have a notes folder containg text files that act as memos. And I don't sync with Outlook's notes; instead, I sync with counterpart text files on the computer. The syncing is manual. plug the handheld into a USB port and get presented with a file system. I drag them over to the PC and compare the text files with their PC counterparts. Klunky, yes, but diff and vimdiff are infinitely more flexible than any syncing mechanism I've ever used, including the Outlook/Palm conduit in eras past.