Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

No one in my family has had any iPhone last longer than 2 years. Something basic always breaks on them -- volume/power/home buttons, screen backlight, crackling speaker, mic stops working, power port issues, battery won't hold a charge well, etc. In my family, these iPhones come into the finish line gasping and limping if not actually crawling using only one good hand. These things are thrashed. And my children (two of them are 28 years old) worship their phones -- they're not abused. And I'm not citing cracking screens anyway. My youngest son's iPhone 7 never really worked well right out of the box. We had it sent off for repairs once (the "Genius Bar" couldn't fix it -- shock and surprise) and then when we had to send it off for repair again a second time, they just sent back a new one. This new one still didn't work right, so we ended up trading it in on an iPhone XR when we also bought my wife a XR. Now, believe it or not, the XR was the first iPhone that ever really impressed me, which was ironic because I always thought it was stupid that iPhones only had one button and then which iPhone impresses me? The first one with NO buttons. My interest was short-lived. After learning all the quirkiness that is iPhone to set it up for my wife, I completely lost interest. It's just sooooooo limiting, and I say this as someone who hasn't rooted an Android phone in over two years now. I just find my every encounter with anything iOS to be so incredibly frustrating, tedious, and specifically NOT intuitive. It also seems ancient to me like I'm using the OS on a PDA from the 90's or something.

Without going into my experience with MacBooks too much, let's just say that everything that's wrong with iPhones is wrong with MacBooks just multiplied by 100x worse. I really loved getting the numerous calls from my older two kids at college with "?" on their MacBook screens AND NOTHING ELSE. No error code, no logs -- nothing but a "?". Again, frustrating, tedious, not intuitive x 100.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  2. internetpilot

Did you watch Unbox Therapy's iPhone SE2 Part 1 video? You'll then understand why he was so negative in Part 2. He basically did two versions of the same review -- one pro, one con. The first video was so iPhone zealot-ish that it was nauseating, but it was a great representation of what most people think about everything that comes with an Apple logo.

Mi An, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

See? The Moto G Stylus is such an awesome phone that there's really nothing to complain about, so the thread has had to go completely off-topic into the evilness that is Apple in order to have any activity at all.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

@internetpilot while I havent had the same level of disaster as you have with iPhones, I agree 1000% with the "PDA from the 90's" complaint. I miss widgets so damn much....having a to-do widget on my main page kept me so organized. It just sucks that my choices are basically either pay $80 for a locked down iPhone in addition to my personal phone, or just use an iPhone and suck it up.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My Moto G Stylus is visiting Carol Stream, IL, and is expected to arrive tomorrow by EOD.

7. internetpilot

Wow. I was hoping that when I quickly glanced at their lists of pros and cons that when I read the whole article later, it would be a little more thorough. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Things they didn't address in the comparison:

1. Moto G Stylus comes with 128GB of internal storage for vs getting the same with the iPhone SE requires is an additional $50 over the $100 higher base price. That makes a comparably equipped iPhone SE $150 more than the Moto G Stylus. This is very significant.
    2. Except in the spec list, they didn't touch on the battery difference at all when the Moto G Stylus has over 2x the battery capacity. This is also very (crazy) significant, especially with the difference in processors.
    3. Moto G Stylus has a lesser processor with 4GB of RAM compared to the iPhone SE coming with an elite flagship processor with only 3GB of RAM. There's also a factor of different OS, but it makes the techie in me wonder in the real world how would the performance of these two phones actually compare? And I'm not talking benchmarks -- I'm talking everyone load up their favorite apps, fill up some of that internal storage, and I'm betting their real world performance is probably closer than it looks on paper. Admittedly probably not as significant (?), and also likely highly subjective since it's a different OS, different apps, etc.

I do think it's annoyingly typical what they did emphasize:

1. NFC - I know I might be hurting some BHer's feelings here, but no one who know anything about security uses NFC. I've had a couple of phones with it, including all my children's iPhones, I never used it, and my children have all been forbidden from activating it by their career network engineer father and their former Chief Security Officer/current Principle Security Advisor for Amazon Web Services mother. NFC will never be used on any phone that's on my carrier account and definitely not using any credit card with my address on the bill. Overblown and dangerous feature.
    2. Wireless charging - I did really like wireless charging on my Nexus 6 and I've been toying with the under-the-case options on every phone I've owned since. That being said, my wife really likes to wireless charge her iPhone XR. The kids? Not a single one of them use the feature, even though I bought all of them wireless chargers two Christmases ago. Probably an overblown feature? I'm mixed on this.
    3. IP rating - I've yet to have an IP rating on any phone be useful above and beyond the splash resistance of most phones. I've had ip-rated iPhones in "waterproof" LifeProof cases end up with water damage after being submerged in inches of water for like 3 seconds (at the most), and I've had non-IP-rated phones spend several minutes in a washing machine, dried it out with the usual home remedies, and the phone worked for 2-3 more years. Basically, I'm unimpressed with this feature whether my phone has it or not. When I take my phone kayak fishing, it's in a $6 waterproof bag/casing. Even if it's an IP rated phone, guess what it would still be in when I went kayak fishing? Yep, the same bag/case. IMHO an overblown feature.
    4. Updates - Only time will tell, but in defense of Moto's typically poor update schedule, they were previously running 32-bit ROMs on all their phones long after Google moved on to only support 64-bit ROMs. So this meant Moto had to recompile the update they received from Google and then thoroughly test and fix whatever that recompile broke before releasing to an incredibly whiny, unforgiving, and impatient public. Now, far be it from me to defend Moto on this issue, because almost all of their phones after the Nexus 6 used 64-bit hardware. Why they chose to put a 32-bit ROM on a 64-bit phone (especially when Google abandoned 32-bit support with the Nexus 6) is beyond me. Anyway, I'm hoping Moto's updates will be more timely now that their ROMs match their hardware. At this point, they really have no excuse, because Moto's Android is about as vanilla as it can get. They should be able to turn around whatever they receive from Google in a matter of days.

I've already had several iPhone users really raise their eyebrows over my Moto G Stylus' specs/price. I seriously doubt that there's a single Android user out there who's saying, "Wow, that iPhone SE 2020 is the bee's knees! I'm jumping ship!" The only benefit to the iPhone SE 2020 is if you're already an iPhone user.

RickAgresta, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - I have had NFC on my Galaxy S4, LG G4 and my LG v10. I have never felt comfortable exploring NFC and therefore Mrs scjjtt and our son never used it too. After reading your warnings about it, I won't be using it anytime soon and since I don't use it - it doesn't matter to me that the Moto G Stylus doesn't have it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I loved wireless charging on my Nexus 5 and it sure is convenient. However, all the research I have done on it indicates that it is accompanied by high temperature levels and faster deterioration of battery life. DId wireless charging fry my Nexus 5 battery and cause it to turn into a waterbed, forcing the back of my very hard to open Nexus 5 apart? I can't be sure, but I'm certainly not looking for ways to do this with my Pro1. I also avoid rapid charge (including any USB 3 port) unless I really need it for the same reason. Most of the time I charge by connecting my phone to a port on my at least 10 year old desktop which I know has USB2 ports.

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

That may be because you haven't jumped 5 generations of Android-on-a-phone, like I have. That said, I expect the annoying things that happen when I'm typing on MessagEase are due to a setting, someplace…that, or extremely fat fingers…

small-keyboard-picsay.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2020