Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

The difference between Apple and Google is pure (sometimes approaching if not actually false) marketing.

CAN an iPhone last for 3-4 years? Sure. But I've also owned Android devices for longer than that. My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is now 7 years old and still kicking. I did replace the bloated swollen battery (I think?) a year ago, so the original battery lasted 6 years, and I really didn't see any noticeable reduction in battery performance (until it swelled, which wasn't very swell, but 6 years is definitely a wow). Both my sons' Samsung Galaxy S3 original batteries are still working and I believe they're 6 years old (they're also actually user replaceable, so I have a spare for each that was never actually used). My Sprint branded Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is still running off it's original (also user replaceable) battery, and it's 8 years old now.

Now, back to the 4 year old iPhone. The reliable lifespan of a well used Li-ion battery is two years. Anything beyond that time there's typically a noticeable reduction in performance. If Apple was truly serious about their supported forever policy, they would have user replaceable batteries because that's where their supported forever policy is just false marketing. How can you support something "forever" when it doesn't really last much beyond two years? To further that, Apple went about the whole battery thing in a very sneaky, misleading way by throttling the performance of older models of phone to make it look like their batteries were just as reliable as they were on day-one. Now you can toggle that off in the settings, but that wasn't always the case as this throttling was originally being done completely behind the scenes and hidden from all but the most technical user. When the three or four users of the iPhone who are actually technical (haha) outed Apple for doing this there was quite a bit of hoopla over it, and only then did Apple make it part of the settings so it could be turned off. Also, I realize this policy is still more than generous, but technically speaking anything older than an iPhone 6 will not run the latest iOS 13, so even disregarding the battery limitation, this forever support is still not actually true (just ask an iPhone 5 user).

If you think it's difficult to get an Android device with the features you want, try getting those features from Apple. And iOS actually is 100% manufacturer bloat as Apple has 100% control over everything to do with the iPhone. Even the Nexus/Pixel line isn't manufactured by Google, so that greatly limits them on how long they can actually support it. What happens if Google has a "falling out" with the actual manufacturer of the Nexus/Pixel phone -- are they going to be expected to support it forever when they no longer have a business relationship with that company?

But we all know this. My point is that although Apple markets that they support their phones forever, they actually don't and their actual lifespan isn't much longer than a typically much cheaper Android phone, which means it's mostly marketing hype on the part of Apple. Is it a blatant lie/evil falsehood? No. So then it's factual truth? No, not really. It's just marketing, and I think we can all agree that marketing is what Apple actually does better than any of its competitors on any of the platforms that Apple participates.

I also provide technical support for my iPhone heavy family, and my one middle child who owns a Moto G6 never needs help with this phone. Ever. The rest of the family (my wife, youngest son, and twin son/daughter) always seem to need help with their iPhones. The older two "kids" don't usually need iOS related help, but they frequently do need other technical help with the iPhone. The biggest thing I get from iPhone users in the family is questions about why their phone can't do what mine is currently doing. The answer is always, "You don't have an Android phone." Their response is invariably something like, "But the iPhone is always rated as the better phone, so why can't it do that?" My typical reply is that they've actually answered their own question.

This is usually when I hold up my typically 2-3 year old Android phone, twist it around in the air, and boast, "Mine's working". Obnoxious behavior? Yes. More obnoxious than the support desk at your branded store calling themselves, "The Genius Bar"? No, there's nothing more obnoxious than that.

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Now I mad that I posted that long response when all I had to do is post a link to Unbox Therapy's latest iPhone SE Part 2 video:

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

That's okay, IP. I reread your post using his voice in my head. ;) (EDIT: with the background music, too.)

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

That video is a great ad for the iphone se. His main complaint (repeated 7000 times) is that they're reusing the outside and only upgrading the inside. Saving money on worthless design is the perfect place to save it IMO. Most of his other complaints are good things or known handicaps that aren't really worse than android's known handicaps, just different.

People who talk about "brands" and their inspirational quality annoy me too. Especially these days (insert commercial where self-styled "brands" are with us in this hard time [pukeemoji] ). I'd be embarrassed to like anything that guy liked. Usually it's the pro apple camp peddling that nonsense. Again, the world is upside down. The function-follows-form, inspired brandbots are moving to android now? Ugggh. I really only have to pay $400 to get away from them? :vbgrin:

Apple under Jobs was never going to see a dime from me. Apple under Cook gets a little closer every year.

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I actually find the iOS vs Android stuff as silly as I used to find the Mac vs Windows (vs Linux) debtes. I am an Android and windows user (with Linux as a hobby), but that's because of the things I want and find useful. I have a close friend who is Apple only and always has been and, although his smugness is annoying, he is an Apple loyalist because Apple meets his wants and needs. You can cherry pick problems with either platform-- that's why I marked my cherry picks above with "IMHO"-- but honestly, they are all good for someone. Lol. The irony is, I keep trying to get Mrs. Hook to get an iPhone but she is afraid of change so she sticks with her android and then keeps complaining when they change it on her. :vbrolleyes: :vbgrin:

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Sometimes it's nice having something reliable you can always complain about. I'd rather not say how I know that.

ok-so-im-grumpy.jpg

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Exactly! I've used both extensively. Personally, if I had the choice, I'd use Android, mostly because I love all the little ways I can tinker and set up widgets to make my life more organized. Right now I don't have a choice, which is a shame, but it's not like my iPhone is bad in any way-it's just different. The upside is that since most people in my life have iPhones, I can help troubleshoot more effectively when there's issues.

I also have a MacBook Pro, in large part because of the integration with my iPhone, and the fact that I just wasn't blown away by any Windows options when I was buying a new computer.

Having said all that....I have a Nokia 6.2 that I reviewed, and even though it has no SIM and I have no good use for it, I keep it charged and on the coffee table because it's a solid phone and I like having one foot in the Android world. It's also come in QUITE handy with "distance learning", as it gives me an extra phone I can hand to my mini-QF when I need my regular phone for work.

RickAgresta, Mi An, Hook and 3 others like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I think the previous posts have covered the iPhone-Android debate pretty well (and the more general Apple-Windows discussion).

I would just add a few things. I'm in an odd position as I tend to like Apple products, but for various reasons have more often ended up with Android and Windows products in the mix.

IP, not only can the battery throttling be turned off, didn't Apple stop doing that anyway? I also think the 2-year estimate is very pessimistic. I have family members that have older iPhones (5+ years) that are still going. Admittedly, they are not heavy users.

I've been pretty vocal in the past against Apple's pricing tiers (mostly related to internal storage capacity). But you don't need to use iCloud for storage. You can use your own NAS and there are other options too. The other thing I don't think I saw mentioned is resale value. If you can sell or trade in your iPhone for substantially more, it lowers the overall ownership costs and iPhones are basically the only phones that hold a substantial portion of their value. And it makes buying a larger capacity phone a bit easier to swallow. Last year I considered buying an iPhone and held off, waiting for 5G, but now it sounds like the all-new iPhone design might be a real winner.

Coincidentally, I had a longish conversation with an old friend I hadn't spoken with in some time who now works for Apple. For years, he worked for Intel and I didn't know he'd moved over, but a group of college friends are now doing weekly Zoom bar nights. He has most recently worked on the AirPods Pro, and the kind of detail that Apple goes into is pretty staggering. We may not like their choices (I often do not); but the thought and execution is pretty astounding. I went off on him about some of these issues, like how much Apple charges for capacity upgrades, the deletion or exclusion of features I miss like headphone jacks, card slots, and all the goodies gone from the laptops. I told him I recently bought a new laptop an was thinking about an MacBook, but to get what I got in a MacBook would have been $3,000+ and while the Retina screens were nice I didn't think they were worth the cost and I didn't like the loss of hard drives, optical drives, etc. I do think the Apple products deserve a premium, but not that much of one.

I do think that nothing compares to just how slickly Apple products seem to work. My experience is different from IP's. Android is more flexible, but that often results in more conflicts between apps, hardware, etc. And going a bit further afield, when it comes to Mac v. Windows, it's no comparison. Windows is really a joke IMO. While I've been through a bunch of Windows machines, my little Mac Mini (2011) chugs along like a champ and fills in every time I need it, plus doing double duty as a home theater server.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My Stylus has shipped! Delivery 5/02-05.

10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I can't wait!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk