Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Mine too. It seemed to take quite a while to install, but at least we got another update.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Mine was overnight, so don't know how long it took. I ran across an article in Wired that takes Motorola to task, w.r.t. updates:
    https://www.wired.com/story/motorola-software-updates-rant/
    tl;dr version -- Motorola phones are woefully lagging behind other manufacturers' similarly priced phones -- for example, the phone of this thread has gotten it's last OS upgrade from Motorola, and will only get security updates for 2 years (presumably from date of introduction). Below, from the article:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

No update for me, yet. I got an error trying to check for an update, too. Anyway, I think our last update will be April 2022, so it might soon be time to shop for a replacement.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hmm... August.... Screenshot_20211120-180204.jpg

lelisa13p, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

This phone might be able to get security and OS updates if it's rooted and supported by XDA-developers. Rooting looks to be pretty easy....just sayin'

Hook, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Received this one (with Oct security patch) last night. (Moto G8 Power... I include it in this thread because it is essentially a Stylus without the -er- stylus :vbgrin: ).

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I got my update, too.

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

The 2022 Moto G Styus taking a step back with the processor compared to the 2021 model? Our 2020 model has a Snapdragon 665!

"The Snapdragon 480+ 5G will likely sit at its heart - a step back from the Snapdragon 678 SoC found in the 2021 version."

GSMArena.com: Motorola Moto G Stylus 2022 appears in detailed renders - GSMArena.com news.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_stylus_2022_stars_in_detailed_renders-news-52381.php

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I didn't even know until I saw this in my Google News feed today that there actually was a Moto G Stylus 5G. Going back under my rock now.

Motorola is killing me with their holiday sales on the Moto Razr 5G. I mean, it's still $800, but these days that's pretty much normal price for a phone. Plus, then I can pretend it's early 2000's again and I'm back on Cingular wireless with no data and having to choose a long distance plan. :rolleyes:

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I took my daughter to Afton Alps for her ski team practice, and while there, I got on the slopes, too. When we were ready to head home, she asked to drive to build up her night driving hours as she prepares to get her license. Backing out of the parking spot was a bit difficult, so I had her stop so I could go to the back of the van and wipe off the backup camera lens. When I bent down, my phone dropped onto the ground along with my reading glasses. No big deal, until we got home and I discovered the stylus was missing. :(. I don't use the stylus very much, but I am going to miss it. Sigh.... Maybe I just need to get a new phone! :D

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.