Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm sure those will be coming soon enough. No need to plan them or force a natural timeline...

headcronie, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

ip, curious as to what lock you use -- I'm rebuilding from where I was after 5 days, because the pattern locker was (probably still is, but I'm NOT trying it again, any time soon) doo*doo. on my other phones, Galaxies S3 and S5, and Asus tablet, the line is shown (if you ask for that) and is displayed until you're finished, when unlocking -- not so with the MGS*. It shows a segment, but when one moves on to the next one, the previous segment vanishes. I am guessing this is intentional, but doing the unlock when the phone is locked, it's jumpier than when you're messing around in the security settings...

so at this point, I'm back to an easy to remember PIN.

3. internetpilot

I just use a PIN and of course the fingerprint scanner.

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I was stunned by that when I saw they put their best chip in it. Combine that with fewer pixels to drive and apple update duration... that thing is gonna last forever. I'm still using my moto z play with a midrange processor quite happily more than 3 years in. If it doesn't croak, I could imagine getting another couple of years out of it. Oddly, my MZP msrp'd in 2016 for about $500 IIRC vs SE at 399, that in the era of $1k flagships.

Moto gs are cheaper upfront, but I suspect that iphone bests them easily over the long haul. Apple is the budget smartphone king now from what I can see. The world is upside down. Not newly so, but still.

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Trouble is, screen is too small (IMHO, of course :vbwink:), too low resolution (IMHO) and once you add sufficient internal storage (IMHO :vbrolleyes:) it's $450-$550 and you are stuck in the walled garden. :vbeek: :vbgrin: Having the phone updated forever *can* be perceived as a curse.

6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

My only real complaint about the SE is the same for moto gs, no amoled.

Heh. There is something to be said for that. I've got one update left to be applied to my mzp from probably more than a year ago. I'm afraid it'll mess up root and I can't remember what I did to get root or how to keep it, so I just have the update notification permanently taking up space, I even get pop up reminders of the update that I unconsciously dispense with thanks to muscle memory at this stage. It should drive me nuts, but my will to procrastinate is so strong I barely even notice anymore.

Then there's windows updates, ugggh. Alpha tested on anyone who doesn't know how to delay their updates. Poor schmucks.

But Apple's better, right? I mean once you accept that they're in charge, at least they won't break what they allow you to have. I don't want a tech overlord, but if I were going to choose one, it would probably be them.

7. internetpilot

Except the Apple isn't really cheaper over the long (or even the short) haul.

What's the first message you get from any iPhone after owning it for like a week or two? Something like, "Cannot backup to the iCloud. iCloud storage is full." So, not only does Apple not provide an inexpensive (or actually any) way to expand internal storage throughout the life of phone, if you want to use their cloud storage beyond the minuscule amount that a new iPhone is allotted (whether it's a $1200 iPhone or a $400 iPhone), you have to pay a monthly fee to increase your iCloud capacity. Meanwhile, my Moto G Stylus basically has endless storage for cloud backups.

You want more storage from the get-go? It'll cost you $50 per 64GB increase from Apple. To get a 256GB iPhone SE2 now costs $550 (which doesn't sound very "discount") and you're stuck with that amount of storage forever. To get a 256GB Moto G Stylus, it cost me $320 (128GB internal storage in the $300 phone + $20 128GB micro SD card) and if I need or want more later, I can just replace the 128GB micro SD with a 256GB ($40) or even a 512GB ($75).

Also, their best processor and Apple's update forever policy is negated/severely flawed by Apple's other policy of throttling the processor as the anemic 1960mah battery starts failing within the first year of use. So, it's updates forever that'll run slower and slower and slower not because the hardware can't handle the new OS, but because Apple wants to trick you into thinking you're getting the same battery life. And they put their best chip in it, but then put a screen in it with lesser specs than the Samsung Galaxy S3 (720p AMOLED 4.8") that was released in 2012? FYI, the S3 also had a 2100mah battery that was user replaceable.

I freely admit to not really caring for Apple phones (I do like their iPads, but since getting a Chromebook I've been far less enamored with tablets in general), but I don't think there's ever been an iPhone released that has me scratching my head on their hardware/configuration choices as much as this one.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The iPhone battery throttling can be turned off in settings. :)

Mi An, scjjtt, internetpilot and 3 others like this.
  9. internetpilot

Should it need to be?

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Well, I suppose Apple could take the Android approach and just have you replace your phone every 2 years. :D ;) Lithium ion batteries don't just hold less charge over the years, they deliver less power. When you keep your iPhone for 3 or more years, battery/processor management helps protect the device's electronic components and make the devices more stable. Anyway, I don't mean to be an Apple proponent, but I do think they're an excellent option. Android phones can be awesome and certainly my preference, but it's challenging to get one with the features you want at a reasonable price while avoiding manufacturer and carrier bloat along with a reasonable length of support for OS and security updates and patches.

Just for some additional perspective: I provide technical support for my wife and her mother (90 years old in a few weeks). They rarely need help with their iPhones. I also support my parents with their Samsung phones. Just shoot me. :rolleyes: