Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Internetpilot might have to start a new thread here on Brighthand soon. I was buying some stuff on Amazon and BestBuy and was MIGHTY tempted to just add that Moto G Stylus 5G to the shopping cart! Y'know...kinda hiding it under some other stuff so the dear wife wouldn't notice that I replacing my perfectly functioning Moto G Stylus 2020...

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - I totally understand & have felt the same - especially being in Ohio & wondering if I would have better coverage...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

headcronie, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

The main takeaway from this review is exactly why I haven't bought it (or any 5G Android phone) yet. In two years just as 5G will start getting to be legitimate, Motorola/Lenovo will stop security updates for the Moto G Stylus 5G. Most Android phones last me 3 years on average before something fails enough that it can't be repaired. Again, if something disastrous happens to my Moto G Stylus 2020, I would definitely just get the Moto G Stylus 5G over the Moto G Stylus 2021. Short of that, I'll just happily keep what I have.

https://bit.ly/3xL7sDg

headcronie, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. scjjtt

IP - I agree & especially where I live - T-Mobile coverage is great & fast on my 2020 model.

On a second note - yesterday was the best day for my mom. She was awake longer & even grabbed her water from her tray & gave herself a drink. We're still hoping they'll consider Hospice because they could get so much help from them. In AZ with such a high senior population hospice doesn't seem to have the stigma that it does in other parts of the country. Why we even have commericals with celebrities sharing about hospice benefits.

Third, I got to spend 4 hours with T-Mobile techs on Father's Day. The problem started on Saturday when people would call me & I'd be out of service & they would get a recording saying my phone line is no longer in service & has been disconnected.

I figured the above problem had to do with the line that my Galaxy watch had that just finally expired because I didn't want the $10 service on it anymore (2 required years was long enough to pay for a "free" watch). I shared that with the techs & they did their magic, or should I say voodoo. They bricked my phone. Not only would it not work over the network but couldn't make WiFi calls. Fortunately I have Google Voice on my tablet & phone & was able to talk to family members & the techs over my tablet as we tried to fix my phone.

It came down to them suggesting a factory reset at a T-Mobile store. Normally I would do that at home but my sister's internet is just a step or 2 above dail up. I went into T-Mobile on Monday morning - they factory reset my phone - still no network connection. The tech suggested putting in a new SIM card - and guess what - it worked!

THAT'S WHAT THE T-MOBILE TECHS SHOULD HAVE SUGGESTED BEFORE FACTORY RESET. I beat myself up for not thinking that - but after 4 hours & trying to communicate with my family on Father's Day without my phone working - my mind wasn't thinking straight.

After I spent 2.5 hours downloading 86 apps & upgrades at a part of the city that had good LTE connection, I called T-Mobile & told them I wanted compensation for the problems. Normally they give $20 credit (that would have been an insult) but because all I went through they offered half of our bill - $60 as credit.

The good - I put Nova Launcher on as I set up my phone & that makes me happy!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

5. scjjtt

IP - I'm trying to download that first link you provided way back & the phone is preventing me to install it. I took off the security for that site - but still doesn't work. Here are a couple of screenshots of what comes up.

I'm just looking for a simple Google Camera app to use as an alternative in low light situations.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Scott, in my experience, when I see that kind of message, most often I'm trying to install either the same version of an already installed app, or an older version of an already installed app. Case in point for the older version: more than once, I've found that I have useability issues with the latest version, but since I have a backup of the previous version, I can try to reinstall that version. The drawback of not having a rooted phone is that if I go the normal route and uninstall the 'upgraded' version, I'll lose the associated settings -- not always a big deal, but sometimes it is.

As for an improved low-light camera, I've never done any comparisons myself, but following the links in the XDA post I installed

2021_06_23_21.01.25.jpg

which is identical to the first link in your quoted post of IP. hope this helps!

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  7. internetpilot

I'm actually not using GCam 7.3 anymore. I still have it installed (mostly because I forgot about it), but I'm probably going to remove it since I'm always using a GCam 8.1 now.

For best stable and reliable Google Camera on the Moto G Stylus, I'm now using PX v8.1 GCam v1.2 bycstark27, johngalt1, and Urnyx05:
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1526/

However, for best Google Camera that takes advantage of all 4 Moto G Stylus cameras, I'm also using GCam 8.1.101 Wichaya v1.1:
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-wichaya/f/dl1/
    (the first one on this page)

The Wichaya one is pretty sweet because it allows you to use the ultra wide actioncam camera for both video and still shots. Previously, this camera was only usable for video and only through the Moto Camera app. You can also use the macro camera. Unfortunately, the ultra wide camera is full screen and stretched/distorted, but it still works and it's still easy to frame the shot, etc. Once you take the picture, the image is no longer stretched. This GCam is not quite as stable/reliable as the PX GCam, but it's still very good, very usable, and it's really nice having access to all the Moto G Stylus cameras in one app (that doesn't suck like the Moto Camera does). You can also significantly customize/configure GCam 8.1 without using complicated XML files. You just use the in app settings. For example, I changed the labels for switching between the three rear cameras to "Mcro", "1x", and "Wide".

8. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Got my June security update last night. :thumbsup:

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

[​IMG]

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  10. internetpilot

I got mine this morning! But, of course, it was this particular morning because I'm back on slow speed hotel wifi in Fairfax, VA, and was about to walk out the door to go to Dulles Airport to pick up a rental car and REALLY needed that navigation system rather than a required system reboot to apply the update. :( Anyway, I just delayed leaving for the rental car pickup and ate breakfast more slowly. When I checked my phone again, all was back up and working fine with no more red icon warning me that my security was in jeopardy (as if I can do anything about that short of "Check for update"?). I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the frequent updates with this Moto phone. My previous Moto G5S Plus updates frequency was poor (if not almost non-existent).

It is difficult for me to believe, but around Fairfax the T-Mobile signal is even better than the Sprint signal was. Even in this square cement cube of a hotel, I'm getting full bars of LTE and youngest son is getting full bars of 5G. In fact, the entire drive from NE Florida to DC was pretty much full bars 95% of the time, infrequently losing a bar or two for very short periods of time in South Carolina. For those of you currently on the east coast of the US, the answer is yes. Yes, we did catch up and drive through Hurricane/Tropical Storm Elsa.

We ain't scared -- we're Floridians. :rolleyes: