Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ahhh, glad you're not using the one mentioned here. I unfortunately was, but ceased using it a few years back, and have no clue what I had in there, or what my credentials were. I didn't keep much in there if memory serves me right. But being that I don't recollect my credentials, I maybe kept more than I recollect in it. :eek:

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Discovered something interesting about the Moto G Stylus camera array. With the three cameras on the back of the phone, the top camera is the 48mp primary still camera, the center camera is a dedicated video camera, and the bottom camera is a the macro camera. I just assumed that the middle dedicated video camera was for the actioncam feature. Turns out that the middle camera is just the regular video camera, and the actioncam feature actually uses the top primary still camera.

I can't quite figure out why Moto did it this way. Even for the still camera function, Moto doesn't use the full 48mp of the top camera (well, at least not really). They resize the original 48mp image down to 12mp. This also explains the overall camera improvement in the Stylus (possibly without any real improvement in the Moto Camera app). I suspect that when you're shooting a picture, it uses all 48mp but then it immediately resizes the image down to 12mp, applies HDR, and the result is a rather clean, pixel dense, sharp image. But I don't see how they're actually getting a wider perspective from this same 48mp camera with the actioncam feature. Keep in mind that the actioncam feature requires the phone to be held in portrait mode even though the actioncam video is in landscape mode. The actioncam video is only 2.1mp. It makes sense to put a larger camera in there than 2.1mp, because then you can easily use software image stabilization (which is a lot cheaper than hardware), which is what they did. I don't think that rotating the landscape still camera image to portrait for the landscape actioncam feature (if that makes sense) on-the-fly is something possible for this phone's processor to pull off, so somehow they're getting a wider image using portrait. The only thing I can think of is that there must be some raw image cropping going on with regular still photos, in addition to the resizing. Anyway, I just thought it was weird that they didn't use the primary camera for the regular video mode (like virtually all other phones do) and instead use an additional camera for regular video mode. It doesn't seem very efficient to me, especially for the whole portrait/landscape thing.

As much as I like Moto phones, there always seem to be some kind of weirdness with their camera configuration choices. The Stylus doesn't seem to be any different. Don't read this wrong -- I still love it and the cameras all seem to do a great job, but I just can't get my head around their configuration of these three back cameras.

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP and Jig - I have a question for you. I was reading this review...

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/23/moto-g-power-g-stylus-review/

...and in the review it was reported: "When you remove the stylus, you get a small floating icon similar to Samsung's Air Command. It links you to apps like the new Moto Notes, but you can customize it as you see fit."

Can you tell me if you could have that set up for 3rd party apps - specifically I was wondering about Evernote and Calengoo. I'm trying to think of Apps that I would want to have the option to quickly open with the stylus - such as Google Keep - would be another good one.

Let me know what you discover - thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

headcronie, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig & IP - another question: I read in another review that the new Moto Notes app is very sluggish. The author of the review even questioned Moto putting the app on the phone because it was so slow.

Any thoughts? Does Moto Notes sync to a cloud or can it be set up to do so?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

headcronie, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. internetpilot

You can have a total of 5 apps/functions in stylus menu. Two of them (the Screenshot editor and the default Write a note) cannot be changed, but the remaining three icons can be any app you want. In my menu below, I don't actually need to have the Moto Note app in the middle shortcut because it's the default note app in the first shortcut. I just don't have anything else I want to put there right now.

Edit: I believe you can also change the default note app, so technically you can change that first icon, but it will only be the Write a note function in that default app.

Screenshot_20200424-104117.png

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

My phone won't arrive until 5/1, so I can't comment from direct experience.

headcronie, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  8. internetpilot

If that review was on BestBuy.com it may very well have been my review...haha. I watched a YouTube review of this phone that claims the whole phone is sluggish and laggy. I really have to call a "NOPE" on that one because I have this phone quite loaded with apps and use its features to close to their fullest extent and it's not slow or laggy at all...except in the Moto Notes app which is VERY laggy. It does improve if you reduce how wide the default pen is the app, but it's still not quite there. What's really weird is no matter what other app I use the stylus in, there's no lag -- only in Motorola's own Moto Notes. Not sure who at Moto decided that was okay, but although I think this phone is excellent, that Moto Notes app might just sink it in the reviews by claiming the "main function" of this phone is laggy. Hopefully, most of the reviews will see the only problem is that one app. Unfortunately, that one app came directly from Moto.

9. internetpilot

FYI, in a horrifying slow-motion moment, I dropped this phone on a tile floor from chest high (and I'm a tall person) when I missed my shirt pocket. It hit the floor HARD, the stylus shot out like a dart, clattering across the floor about 10 feet away, and I was exclaiming repetitive, hyphenated phrases that I can't repeat here on this forum. Not a mark on the screen, corner, or back of the phone. Even the stylus seems completely unscathed. I'd have to say my drop-test of this case was successful. Well played, ZeKing case manufacturer, well played. I am now questioning whether or not I switch to the UAG case once it arrives. Okay, I probably still will, but this cheap clear case is definitely a reliable backup.

https://amzn.to/2Kw0aNl

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Would you mind doing a few more drop tests and reporting the results here? I'm also interested in how it handles a front load washer in a normal cycle, please.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk