Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I like the Otterbox Commuter Lite, but the UAG Scout is cheaper. In fact, I can use some Best Buy rewards and get some or all of it paid. Lots of options for screen protectors. I should also consider getting a life jacket (personal flotation device) for it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-moto-g-stylus-cases

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Jigs for what it's worth, I adore my UAG case-the thing is beyond tough.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yeah, I have to say I'm rather annoyed at Best Buy for basically punishing me for pre-ordering the phone from them. They later rewarded all the late-comers with activation discounts that weren't offered to me. Trust me, rather than having to deal with Sprint attempting to activate my phone for 6 hours, I would've much rather the Best Buy "Sprint Expert" activate it before I picked it up at the curb in front of the store.

4. internetpilot

I like the UAG Scout as well, but I think it and the Otterbox are actually a little too heavy duty for my taste. I've been spoiled by a minimalistic case on my Moto G5S Plus for almost three years and something similar on the Nexus 6 prior to that. On my phones before the Nexus 6, I used really heavy duty dual and triple layer cases that could survive Skynet becoming self-aware. FYI, the GSDCB base (black minimalist case with carbon fiber accents from Amazon) didn't have buttons that properly lined up with the phone, so I couldn't reliably use the power button so I returned it. So, right now I'm using the clear bumper case. Not my favorite, but at least the phone is protected and it shows off that pretty blue back. Also, when I turn on the flashlight the whole clear case lights up like it's backlit. It's pretty cool. I'm waiting for more USA stocked cases to be available on Amazon. Right now the only case I'm really interested in is "in stock" now, but it won't get to me until mid-June (?!), which is rather insane.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I was able to order & pickup my VZW but still unlocked MGS* this past Saturday. While I did get the $50 discount from BB, I still had a $40 activation fee courtesy VZW. At least activating it was easy -- pop in the new teeny•SIM, do a short Settings dance, and voila! on the network. I threw in the 'backed up from the old phone' 128Gb ExtSD card and I had most (ok, that's a bit of a stretch -- much is closer to the truth) everything I really wanted accessible to me. I even have my Titanium BackUp backups, so if it ever is rootable…I. now see how annoying most ads are. Of course, jumping 5 iterations of Android resulted in some wrinkles; the warning about "this app was designed for an older version of Android and may not work properly" really only has (so far) been true twice - Boat Browser just won't run, and Keyring's menu is inaccessible, because there's no menu button or key (although I'm still looking for a software solution for that issue). And some apps can't access their folders on the ExtSD card directly…

All in all, a very nice piece of hardware. Thanks to internetpilot for bringing it to my attention!

*Moto G Stylus

Mi An, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. internetpilot

Okay, I just went ahead and ordered the UAG Scout case from Best Buy. I don't think Amazon is going to see any USA stocked cases for this phone anytime soon, I don't feel like wait until late May or even June to receive a case, so....

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm expecting some Rewards to show up on my account in a few days which I'll use toward buying the case from Best Buy. I'm not excited about a heavy duty case, but I can't afford any mishaps. My phone should arrive May 1, so I have time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

scjjtt likes this.
  9. internetpilot

Yeah, I'm finding myself kinda wondering where my rewards are on my BB account for purchasing the phone...???

scjjtt likes this.
  10. internetpilot

Someone should probably added this to the News section, but Google just discounted both the Google Pixel 4 & 4 XL by $400.

By the time you add 128GB total storage, that puts the price at $600, so I personally have no regrets since even at such a great price reduction, it still doesn't satisfy all of my requirements. Still a great deal though.

This is a perfect example of why I have a personal issue with $1,000+ phones. The discount on The Pixel is $100 more than the total price if the Stylus, and even after the discount the Pixel is still 2x the price of the Stylus.

Having said that, IF I hadn't been finally successful at activating the Stylus on Sprint and had ended up returning it, I probably would be buying a Pixel XL 128GB right now. I'd still be hating that final pricetag, but...

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.