Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have the fingerprint/PIN lock.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I previously used Alarm Clock Xtreme myself, but moved on to Alarm Plus Millennium back when Android first introduced doze which had a disastrous effect on all 3rd party alarm apps. Alarm Plus Millennium was just the first to figure out a way around it, and the Alarm Clock Xtreme dev had basically just thrown up his hands blaming it all on Google and waiting for them to solve it. Anyway, since then, for the last four or so daylight savings time changes, I've had Alarm Plus Millennium sound the alarm an hour later or earlier even though the time on the phone has changed and the alarms are still set for the correct times. My entire house operates on my alarms (so, y'know, no pressure or anything), so that didn't go over too well for...y'know...TWO YEARS IN A ROW. So with this last DST failure, I switched to the stock Android Alarm Clock, which works fine for me now (at least with this version of Android). I remember finding the alarm features to be rather pathetic in previous Android versions. It remains to be seen if it will function properly through DST.

Anyway, my stock alarm clock works just like Jig said. It's been flawless so far. I also use fingerprint/PIN lock.

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

So I recently moved back to Florida (from Virginia) and about two weeks ago when I was sorting through and packing the contents of an old storage ottoman that I hadn't touched in years, I found my old Palm battery sled, Palm Modem (also a sled), and Palm GPS (also a sled). I also found a Psion "external" (non-sled) modem. Rather than donating them or throwing them away I decided to keep them, but I really don't know why since I don't even have a phone line or dial-up ISP to use them anymore. I do still have my Palm Tungsten|C and it still works rather well (although I do have to really dumb down at least one of my WiFi access points for it to be able to connect). Of course with that volatile memory, every time I find it the T|C again and charge it up everything is gone. Thankfully I have it all backed up on an SD card so I can easily restore everything just how it was. I can still type really fast with only my thumbs. I tried a camera module on one of my later Palm devices (maybe the T|X?), but I don't remember being very impressed by it. I think it was likely because by then I already had a couple of my first digital cameras, so it wasn't all that novel. I probably should've been more impressed with it, though, because at the time I'm pretty sure that the digital camera I had was a Sony Mavica FD91, which stored images on 3.5" floppy disks! That camera was so big and so much fun, but unfortunately had less than a one megapixel sensor. Now my phone has a 48mp sensor and more storage than my PC did at the time.

4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I think I'd like to go back to having the original buttons at the bottom of my phone. I like Android 10's new motions that replace the buttons, but I find myself trying to use those motions on my older devices that don't support that. Where do I go to restore the navigation buttons?

5. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Settings/System, Gestures, System navigation.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, headcronie and 2 others like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks Tom - I can't tell you how much time I tried on my own & couldn't find that setting.

I really like the gestures but besides trying to use them on other devices - if Mrs scjjtt uses my phone for something she doesn't know how to go back or go to the homescreen.

Now I can back & forth if I want. Thanks again.

7. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

You're welcome. I had no intention of using gestures but accidentally switched to that when the tutorial nagged me one too many times.
    I switched to using my Moto G Stylus as my primary phone yesterday, but this morning I was unable to get my laptop to connect to the 'net via USB Tethering, which works perfectly with my OnePlus 6T. (WiFi Hotspot works fine, at least, but my desktop computer doesn't have WiFi. Both computers run Linux Mint 18.3.) So, back to the OP6T as primary phone for a while.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Google Fi has a sale on the Moto G Power for $149 and the Moto G Stylus for $199. Backup phone, anyone? ;)

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jig, what a kind offer! Sure, I'll take one! :vbgrin:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

weeks later, RA asks
    Have you been able to try different ports on desktop, different cables, and (not really tongue in cheek) inserting the USB-C into the Stylus after rotating connector 180°? I *know* it ought not to be part of the equation, but it is an easy thing to try {wink}