Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Do you mean split screen? It works fine for me, but I don't use it. Not all apps support it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yes, mine finally demanded I reboot as well and that took a while. I guess it is copying what amounts to a test system partition with the update to the production system partition, so I guess it's not too surprising that takes a while.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Freeform is cool. Thanks!

scjjtt likes this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

[/QUOTE]
    I really like my phone. The battery life is incredible. Everything is now working flawlessly.

Here's the story:

Even after I took off my old safe version of ES File Explorer my phone was still locking up & rebooting at times.

It now seems that since I've taken off the Transparent Weather App my problems have gone. I really miss that app but don't miss the previous headaches.

I too miss Nova Launcher - but having it I didn't have the option to "Clear All" when removing multiple open apps - I had to slide up each app individually to close it out.

I've been able to make my screen just about the same as with Nova Launcher - so for now I'm happy.

I am using the new Android 10 gestures. I like them pretty much but I find trying to use them on my tablets & that doesn't work. I might revert back to the bottom buttons.

I'll have to check on the new updates - I don't think I've received them.

Great phone - really happy with it & it is nice to use the stylus - especially if my fingers are wet around grand kid's pool!

[​IMG]

Hook, internetpilot and jigwashere like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Look at this notification I just received...

[​IMG]

jigwashere and Hook like this.
  7. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

You guys have me really close to getting one of these as a spare phone for when my year-and-a-half old OnePlus 6T's battery life drops too much more. I have had two stylus-equipped LG phones (G Stylo and Stylo 3+) and, though I didn't use the stylus that much, it was fun to go old school and use Graffiti Pro. (I also have the Palm emulator app PHEM with my old Palm calendar, notepad, contacts, etc. in my OP6T for those "really old school" times.)
    The LG phones' cameras had really noisy sensors, especially the old G Stylo, so I had to either live with the "oil painting" noise reduction effects or (by way of Snap Camera HDR, FreeDCam, or Open Camera) turn denoise off and get images that looked like someone peppered them but they had detail.
    None of T-Mobile's current offerings really interest me so far. I'll pass on Samsung, the Stylo 5 seems OK (my daughter & her mom have them on Metro) but the Moto G Stylus has much better specs (and I don't want the MediaTek Stylo 6), and the iPhones aren't my cup o' tea.
    Ponder ponder ponder...

Edit: Resistance was futile. It's charging right now.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    headcronie, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 4 others like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook, I'd forgotten that post. I do remember reading it now, because I remember Raspy's comments about the 60 Hz screen. I did forget that the US model did not support 5G, since all the reviews I read mentioned 5G and not the lack of it in the US. While they were US-based sites, they were mostly talking about the global launch months ago, well before Hook's comment and the US price reveal. That's a non-starter for me. That's why I decided not to buy the iPhone last year without 5G. If I'm going to spend $1,000+, I want it to last longer than 2 years.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Tom, I hope you enjoy the bejeebers out of it; it's quite impressive (disclaimer: jumping 4 generations of Android will have that effect, aifinkso). For a "mid-range" device it's amazing...some of my amazement may come from 5+ years of development in both hardware & software/OS, but still and all, Wow!
    Be well, stay safe

Tom LaPrise, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  10. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I spent way too much time setting it up last night--installing apps, copying folders of pictures, etc. (much more to be done there--this is where a removable MicroSD is so handy and the OnePlus 6T doesn't have one). I tried out Snap Camera HDR and FreeDCam with denoise off and the G Stylus' sensor is a little noisier than I expected considering the pixel binning it uses, but a GCam port I've been using in my OP6T (by Urnyx05) works very well in the G Stylus and photos look a lot cleaner even with denoise options off.
    Overall, the phone seems pretty quick for a midrange device, on a par with my ZTE Blade V8 Pro. I haven't put my SIM in it yet; my app installs, text message restores, and all that jazz were via WiFi using my OP6T as a hotspot.
    It's pretty nice that the G Stylus is pretty much the exact same size as my OP6T. I won't have to buy yet another belt clip case.
    This is only the second Motorola smartphone I've owned. First one was my first-ever Android phone, the tiny Motorola DEFY, which came with Eclair and got the Froyo update after I'd rooted (I had to flash back to stock to take the update--luckily, I already had RSD Lite from my Moto flip-phone days).

RickAgresta, Hook, headcronie and 2 others like this.