Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks Jig for figuring that out. Raspy - thanks, I'll try the widgets out.

It's a long and boring process that I stumbled upon to get it to work. Only those who have nothing else to do and are really interested should continue to read...

- I uninstalled Graffiti Pro
    - I tried adding a folder to my Home screen - still no joy
    - rebooted phone and tried again - no joy
    - with no other apps open I saw the window that Jig shared and was able to access it
    - now that window always appears
    - reinstalled Graffiti Pro & still the window appears

I haven't been a big widget user - I'm going to check using a widget from Drive out.

Thanks all for patience and help. I really don't want to lose Graffiti Pro after using Graffiti for 20 plus years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I just used the widget & it looks just like setting up from Drive itself...[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Scott, maybe exchange the phone? It could be specific to your example.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, the Drive widget does exactly the same as adding the folder via the Drive app. I just thought that maybe it could work where the app didn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do hope you can nail the problem, Scott, and fully enjoy your new gadget.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Sorry a little late on this, but this is how you get to recovery (it's the same for the Stylus as it is for G5S Plus:

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/motorola/motorola-moto-g5s-plus/recovery-mode/

Step 5 & 6 are key otherwise it seems like something is wrong with your phone (or at least the recovery).

All this being said, I went into the Stylus recovery the other day to try to wipe cache and....there's no such entry in the recovery menu (???). There's only wipe the entire phone.

So, I Googled that and discovered that some things have changed a bit with Android. Apparently there is no system cache partition -- there's only two identical system partitions. When an update is downloaded, it is installed to the "dormant" second system partition, and if all goes well with that, the next time you reboot, the updated system partition will overwrite the old active system partition. There is still a cache partition, but it's only for applications -- not the system. So, if you're having a problem with an app or apps that seems cache-ish, you have to go into the individual app settings and clear their cache. I'm not sure if there's a way to clear all application cache in one step, but I'm also not sure if I would ever want to do that either.

At least this is my understanding of it. I'm willing to stand corrected as I only briefly looked into it.

6. internetpilot

I really wanted to use the new Android 10 gestures, but couldn't deal with losing the features I'm used to with Nova. One of the things I just couldn't deal with in the stock launcher is the ridiculously low limit to the number of rows/columns on the home screen(s). With Nova I'm using 7 rows x 5 columns whereas the stock launcher has a max of 5x5 (even on the Stylus' huge screen). I used to use HD Widgets but the dev either shut down or Google pulled it (regardless, it's gone). I'm having a lot of trouble finding an equally good replacement, so now I'm just using the stock Moto clock/weather/battery circle thingie. I'm also using the Nova Google Companion app to give me Google News on the left-most home screen (about the only feature I like from the stock launcher). Several of my icons on the main home screen are actually folders (like Maps is a folder with links to the app as well as ~10 common locations, Music is a folder of all my music apps, etc.). On my second screen I just have more frequently used apps, and then on the third screen I have a fullscreen month Calengoo widget. And yes, that's the Google Camera and the Moto Camera on my main home screen. The Google Camera works incredibly well with this phone. If only it could access the macro and action camera lenses, I wouldn't need the Moto Camera app at all.

I was a big-time user of ES File Explorer, but apparently the dev was bought out and that became a security nightmare and I'm now feeling pretty stupid for having that on every Android device in my house for years. I now use Solid Explorer and it seems to work pretty well and has a very similar look to ES.

I did make a big jump to the stock Alarm Clock from Millenium Alarm Clock app, which I've used for years since the big problem with Android Doze feature started causing alarms not to sound. MilleniumApps were the first to get their alarm clock app working reliably, so I've been using them ever since. However, for the past 3 DST changes, Millenium Alarm has sounded the alarms on the non-DST time the morning of the change. It's woken us up early (annoying) or late (BAD) every time. So, this last DST change (even before getting the Stylus), I just switched to the stock Alarm Clock. There are a few more features in the Android 10 clock that make this a little more bearable. It's still not ideal and I really miss volume controls for individual alarms (some songs are just louder than others), but at least I know it will work with DST. The dev of Millenium Alarm Clock really wanted me to jump through hoops trying various things that I wouldn't be able to truly test until the next DST.

I kid you not, the phone has been off the charger for over 2 hours now and it still says 100% battery. I swear I could easily get by just charging this phone every other day and still have charge to spare.

IP Nova.png

7. internetpilot

I'm a big fan of the status bar clock always showing the seconds, and I actually prefer the clock to be centered in the middle of the status bar. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to discover that apparently Google had removed the System UI Tuner feature from Android 10 (maybe even Android 9, too?). Well, it turns out that it's still there, but there just isn't as easy of a way to access as with Android 8 and prior. If you use this little app you can still get access to it, but at least on the Stylus it offers very minimal "tuning". I was able to add seconds to the clock, but was not able to center it on the status bar. I was also able to turn off/on quite a few status bar icons that I didn't actually realize weren't (or were) displaying. Other than some status bar mods, the only other tuning option is to have Do Not Disturb feature access from the volume buttons.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bryancandi.android.uituner

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

With Nova launcher installed, even if you're not using it (I'm not), select to add a widget to your home screen, place Nova launcher activities on your screen, then select System Ui Demo or something like that. That will enable System UI Tuner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I have to say I really do like the macro camera on the Moto g stylus. I took a picture of a bee in our peonies.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Crashes when I try it.

However, that same process also let's you unearth all the Easter Eggs buried in your OS. I have some sort of squid I can drag around with my stylus. Not sure of the point... but... :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk