Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Yikes! I hate to say it, but have you tested without Grafitti Pro? I know that would be a disaster for you to lose, but it is long in tooth and Android 10 (Not the Moto Stylus) seems to have a rep about being fussy around older apps. Dearly hope that's not it.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm sorry your phone is giving you issues. Mine is running great -- battery life is amazing.

3. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

That's a painful problem to have on a new phone, sorry. :vbfrown: After Hook's suggestion, I'd say either uninstall everything you added and add them back incrementally say, one each day, or remove everything you've added incrementally one each day. If it is an app problem, even if you don't isolate the exact one (if these errors are intermittent and don't happen every day), you'll narrow it down to one or two.

I don't love how blithely mobile OSs break compatibility. I'm not opposed to keeping things lean for efficient operations on a battery, but from where I'm sitting, there's zero priority to maintaining compatibility, not even an afterthought. That's all on the 3rd party dev side. Which means any app that's going to live must have permanent development and updates forever to continue functioning. Thus the cutesy name, "app", no respect. I've always hated that nickname, but it does accurately depict how little the platform cares for its constituents. Meanwhile on desktops and consoles software can be preserved and function decades after their developers are in the ground. While most of these adinfested IAPy crapps don't deserve to be preserved, there are some gems, and most of them will be abandoned eventually. Every now and then I entertain the notion of trying to find a cheap gingerbread device to play some of my old favorites on.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Other than the required factory reset after being unable to enter my pattern (which I blame on motorola, for their implementation of pattern display/recognition), the phone has been rock-solid. Sorry to hear of your problems Scott; hope it's an easy non-GrafittiPro solution.

scjjtt, Mi An, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Thanks guys for the suggestions & sympathy. If a couple reboots now & then or the locking up every now & then isn't a big deal - but today's problem was.

Google Maps kept losing GPS. I was heading to do a funeral about 45 plus minutes away & I had to tether my Samsung Galaxy Tab A to my phone & use Google Maps from the tablet. It worked great.

Coming home I checked using Maps again & it worked fine. Here was the difference - I opened up the address from a link in Calengoo out of the location notes going to the funeral but coming home I just opened Maps & hit home.

I love being able to use a stylus again with Graffiti - I sure hope that this isn't going to be a problem! I'm toying with, after Saturday's sermon recording, to factory reset the phone & individually add apps. I'm not giving up on the phone.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

6. scjjtt

By the way - I am pleased with the camera on this phone. Here is a pic of the backyard with my solar lights at night with this phone & one with my LG v10 - you'll noticed the difference.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

8. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You did *not* jump the gun!

Media Tec. Nope. Don't want that! Never had one-- Planet Computers use them and I have heard terrible stories from folks who should know. So much of Android is geared for a Snapdragon SOC.

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Doesn't look like you did... the LG Stylo seems to be a "lite" version of the Moto G Stylus, mostly in the CPU and camera sides. But it's very nice to see that both models have SD card slot and 3.5mm jack. You can see a side-by-side comparison on GSMArena.

That article seems too harsh, considering the price of the LG Stylo. Of course it will have a "mundane" (so called in the article) 60Hz display. Even most flagships still have the same refresh rate. It's absurd to expect a higher refresh rate from a USD 200 phone.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I was going to recommend scjjtt go into recovery and clear cache to see if that would fix the issue, but I haven't been able to get into stock recovery.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.