Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Okay, for you Stylus owners that may be having a wee bit of buyers remorse, I downloaded the GCam port/mod called Arnova8G2 v7.3 and it works great on the Stylus. It's not as much of quality difference as what I saw using a Nexus 6 era 32-bit GCam port on my Moto G5S Plus (which had mediocre camera hardware and a horrible version of Moto Camera), but there's still a significant difference, especially in low light or otherwise more difficult shots.

Now, this is not without caveats. As with almost all GCam ports, you can only set it to use internal storage (not the MicroSD card). Also, you can only use half of the cameras on the Stylus -- the middle camera on the back which is the standard still/video camera and the front selfie camera. You can't use this GCam port to access the dedicated Action Camera or the dedicated macro camera. I mean, if you want either of those two modes/cameras, all you have to do is switch to the Moto Camera app (which is easy enough), but this won't provide a one app solution to access all four cameras. Apparently if you root and load some Magisk modules you can (may?) do it, but I don't plan on rooting this phone. Another caveat is because the way the Google Camera captures images your file size for each photo will more than double from 3.6MB for the same image in the Moto Camera app to 7.6MB in the GCam app. What GCam does is snap 12-15 pics and then it suggests the best of those and displays it for you. You can save just that one image, but rather than being a 12 megapixel single image it will be like a 7-8 megapixel image. I'm not really sure why it reduces the size of the image when you save just one image from this burst series, but that's what it does. Anyway, once you save that one suggested best image, you can delete the original burst series image and get a lot of storage space back, but that requires a LOT more steps.

Unlike with the GCam port I used on my Moto G5S Plus, this GCam port doesn't have the shot-to-shot lag. You can take like 5 individual shots one right after the other before the HDR as well as the AI burst best image selection process slows down the camera, and then you have to wait like a second to take another pic. So, not perfect, but not horrible. With the GCam port on my Moto G5S Plus it was like a 5 second wait between shots for the HDR to do its thing. The end result was usually worth it, but if you botched the shot in any way it had you and your subject(s) waiting.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty happy with it. Here's a link to the thread about it: https://bit.ly/35VeWqH

I used the Arnova8G2 port rather than the Urnyx05 port, and didn't use any custom XMS files (at least not yet).

I don't think I will use it all the time because most of the time the Moto Camera app is definitely good enough, but for difficult or important shots, I will likely use the GCam port to make sure I get the best capture.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - this sounds like a win - win.

I did call Best Buy yesterday & they have the phone in stock - such temptation.

I think I'll wait for awhile. I'm cleaning up my external & internal memory - things that should have been done when I went from Galaxy S4 to LG G4 to LG v10.

Enjoy your phone (as I write with my finger using Graffiti Pro wishing I was using a Stylus).

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  3. scjjtt

Well - that decision didn't last long. I received a call & my internal phone speaker didn't work again & I had to put the caller on Speaker. After that call the internal little speaker started working again - but I can't have this happening when in public - putting a call on Speaker for everyone to hear - SO - my Moto G Stylus & UAG - Scout Case will be ready for pickup in 1 hour.

4. scjjtt

I'm getting it at Best Buy. They now have them on sale for $149 with activation - that was tempting but I went with the regular price.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The orchid in our house bloomed today, so I played around with the macro lens on my Stylus:

Attached Files:

6. scjjtt

Jig - those look great!

It is taking a long time to set up my phone. I chose to automatically have all my apps from my previous phone automatically installed. Unfortunately, the instructions were to put the sim card in - so I've already have missed 1 call that I know of - because they left a message and it went to Google Voice. Of course I used Mrs scjjtt's phone to call them back and they didn't answer probably because of not recognizing the phone number.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to using the stylus on the Stylus.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

After a couple of hours of spinning I hit the back button and said some more "yes" and got to the final step and then it starting downloading my apps, in the meantime I was able to Duo our son.

So far so good.

Jig or IP - did switching to Nova disable the gestures of home and going back and seeing what apps are open? I really like the way it shows the apps that are open - much like WebOS use to be. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Go to Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation. There are two options: Gesture navigation and 3-button navigation. If you use the standard launcher, both options are available. If you switch to any other launcher, including Nova Launcher, the only option is 3-button navigation. You completely lose Android 10 gesture navigation and are forced to use 3-button navigation.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

P.S. I really want to continue using gesture navigation, but I really miss Nova Launcher's features. I'm torn.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm posting this using Goard's handwriting feature and my stylus. It's very strange, but it works! It's kind of fun.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk