Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Having a stylus is pretty bomb. Being able to digitally sign documents on the fly is so worth it. I signed our mortgage paperwork on my phone with my stylus. Don't have to print, sign, scan, and send. Just sign.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig - don't do this to me - don't second guess - you have a great phone. The Pixel phones are weird, IMO, in how they take multiple pics to come up with 1 pic. I tried using a Pixel 3 & was not impressed. I'd think that would slow down the ability to take another pic & fill up your storage. Maybe I'm mistaken - but when I set the Pixel 3 to just take 1 shot per pic it wasn't better than my LG v10. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

You might not need the extra storage - but phones & computers that have storage to spare seem to run better than ones that are close to full.

I too have considered the Pixel 3a - but my experience with a Pixel 3 - short it was, was disappointing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

3. scjjtt

As I consider the Moto G Stylus I read reviews here & elsewhere. There was something I picked up in the Engadget review - that the phone had 399 ppi. That made me wonder how the display on my v10 would compare to the Stylus:

The Moto G Stylus has a 6.4-inch, 19:9 LCD screen running at HD+ (2,300 x 1,080p) which is 399 ppi.

My LG v10 features a 5.7-inch screen with a 1440 x 2560 resolution. That works out to a 513ppi.

Not bad for my phone that came out in October 2015. That comparison may help me to hold off for awhile - we'll see (no pun intended).

raspabalsa, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Scott, IMO ppi perception is very much user-dependent. I've seen lots and lots of reviews extolling phones with FHD screens (1080 x whatever height) with ppi in the 300s or 400s. Me, I can't go back to such low resolution after using the V10, G6, and now the S10+. They all are QHD or QHD+ (1440 x height) with ppi in the 500s. When shopping for a phone late last year I had hands-on time with several FHD phones, and IMO the text on screen lacks sharpness, looks blurry even on some models. That's when I decided to get another device with QHD screen. With such a large screen as the Stylus has, probably the difference with your V10 will be very marked. I may even bet that you wouldn't get used to the Stylus's screen :)

jigwashere, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  5. scjjtt

Thanks Raspy for the encouraging words, but I know what you are trying to do and I appreciate it!

Most of the time, I look at my phone without reading glasses and every time I put on my reading glasses on, I am amazed on how good the screen is.

Really, I just need a screen good enough to get work done. I don't watch movies or do a lot of reading on the phone. That's what I use my tablet for.

I'm just amazed at the specs of the v10 and how relevant it still is since coming out in October 2015. When we got the first one for our son, it was the most powerful phone at the best price in my opinion. I think it was around $700. Of course, I'll never pay that much for a phone again, but we do things for our kids that sometimes we won't do for ourselves. Now - does that mean since I won't buy the Moto G Stylus for my son I should buy it for myself?????????????????????????????????

6. scjjtt

7. scjjtt

Maybe I should wait?

GSMArena.com: Weekly poll: LG Velvet is rugged and has a stylus, but does it have a future? - GSMArena.com news.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/weekly_pol...ylus_but_does_it_have_a_future-news-43103.php

Maybe I should wait since my motto is: "Buy yesterday wows at today's low prices."

I just realized how close the word motto is to Moto - perhaps that is a sign???????????

P.S. Saturday my phone's internal speaker for phone calls stopped working. Again Mrs scjjtt said I need a phone that is reliable and would have been fine for me to order the Moto G Stylus. I googled the problem and discovered that pulling out the sim card, dusting it off and inserting it back in will fix the problem - and it did. :( or should I say :)

Hook, RickAgresta, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

So, my Moto G Stylus stopped receiving voicemail notifications and instead I was receiving a silent 9016 text message every time someone left a voicemail. I immediately assumed it had to do with Sprint, especially considering the difficulty I encountered activating this phone on Sprint. However, it actually turned out to be the Google Phone app update that was released via the Play Store at the end of April. Apparently even Pixel users are having the same problem even if they're not on Sprint.

Ironically, Sprint turned out to be the solution rather than the problem. While I was in the Play Store researching this via the Google Phone app reviews, I found the Sprint Visual Voicemail app and downloaded it. Even though I've had Visual Voicemail on this Sprint account before, they still gave me the usual free month of "premium" features, and now my phone gets voicemail notifications (via Visual Voicemail rather than Google Phone).

I forgot how much I liked Visual Voicemail. I might...just might...have to continue with the premium features after the free month is over. It's really nice being able to see a transcribed version of the voicemail before I dial in, enter my passcode, press 1, etc. Plus, they're organized like email messages, so it's really easy to find the voicemail you're looking for, etc.

So anyway, now I know I got a great deal on the Moto G Stylus because I'm having some of the exact same problems as the Pixel 4!

jigwashere, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

You need to just be annoyingly opinionated like me, and then you don't get buyers remorse as much because your opinions back you into such a corner that you couldn't possibly choose a different phone. I hate not having a headphone jack or expandable memory and don't like paying more than $300 for a phone. Basically, that leaves me with, oh, about one maybe two phone options? Haha.

jigwashere, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Visual Voicemail is standard with iPhones. :D It works great, too! It's not carrier dependent.

I get voicemail transcripts with Google Fi. I do miss Google Voice, though. Sprint let me integrate with Google Voice, but years ago, that service changed in a way that required me to choose between my Sprint phone number and my Google Voice number. Anyway, check this out: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/google-voice.html

P.S. I love my Stylus. :)

internetpilot, scjjtt and Hook like this.