Review of the Moto G Stylus (I've heard that Internetpilot is now very Stylish)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Attached Files:

Hook, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

@internetpilot your review of the Moto G Stylus is spot on and very helpful in understanding the pros and cons of this phone. I'm really happy so far, although I'm still adjusting to things like having the fingerprint reader on the back and the whole Android 10 gesture business. I want to acknowledge that I really appreciate your review/insights about this device.

There's a lot I still need to do to finish my setup. I have a couple of issues, but they're not necessarily specific to the phone (i.e., using Messages vs Hangouts and an annoying warning I get with LastPass). I still haven't dealt with Bluetooth, but I'll do some paring soon and see how it goes. All-in-all, it seems like a very good phone and I'm certainly glad I purchased it. I honestly wouldn't have had this on my radar had it not been for @internetpilot. I still need to wipe my water-logged Moto G6 and return it to Google for $25 credit, but once I do that, I can say that I got a great phone for an amazing $225! That is awesome. :newpalm:

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Whoa...what the...? There's an APK or whatnot that can get Android 10 gestures working with Nova Launcher? I'm your huckleberry...I'll give it a go! I've tried like 6 times now to switch to the Moto launcher but I just can't deal with a measly 5x5 icon matrix on each page. The phone is huge and in Nova Launcher I have it set to 7x5 and it still has a sparse look.

EDIT: Nevermind. It mostly requires root, which I'm not doing anymore, and even then it's quirky/kludgy. I wish Google would just pull their heads out of their posteriors and realize that not everyone like Pixel launcher. I wonder what Samsung is doing about Touchwiz and Android 10?

Aw, you're welcome, Jig! All credit goes to my Moto G5S Plus -- for being such an overall great phone that it made me want to stick with Moto and then for being a not-so-great phone and starting to die less than 3 years after buying it. Because that's how I ended up with the Stylus myself. I'm still a little peeved at not being included in the carrier discounts all because I pre-ordered, but I still feel it was well worth $300.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    headcronie, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Uh, internetpilot, jig? To the best of my knowledge, on my Stylus, gestures using Nova Launcher work, on the home page(s). In my case, I'd copied over a backup from my S5 to the new toy, erm, ah, phone, and I'd, on occasion, be told 'App not installed' and be allowed to search for it. These unintentional gestures on the Stylus were part of the copied backup from the S5. No guarantees that gestures will work for you (it could just be me and my uniqueness), but worth a shot, imho.

headcronie and jigwashere like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Do you have the 3-button navigation at the bottom of the screen?

The Nova Launcher gestures do work, but the Android 10 gestures do not -- at least, not for me. I'm forced to use the 3-button navigation, not just on the home screen, but in every app. With Android 10 gestures, I can turn off the navigation buttons and use gestures within every app.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    internetpilot, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yes the 3-buttons are in use -- thought the Android 10 gestures would be the end of me :vbgrin:

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I've done the same thing with restoring my Nova Launcher backup on other phones and my tablet. It was pretty slick, except for the few apps that reported they weren't compatible and I had to redo most of the widgets. I didn't do that with my Stylus, but installing from the Play store wasn't that bad.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I factory reset my Moto G6, but decided to log back in to install and run 'Secure Erase with iShredder 6.' Once I finish with that, I'll factory reset again and send it back to Google for $25 credit.

It's funny, even with the shattered back, spiderweb cracks on the screen, and blotches on the screen from going through the wash, the Moto G6 doesn't look that bad when used in dark mode. :)

9. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Gestures to me are akin to W8's charms bar. What a disaster. If I can't see it, I would not use it. Stuck on Pie here, and won't be upgrading anytime soon. I could be wrong about gestures but I have no way to try. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

jigwashere, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm starting to like the gestures. They make one-handed navigation easier for me, and since the fingerprint reader/touchpad is gone, this works. I'm still not used to unlocking my phone w/the fingerprint reader on the back, though. It won't be bad once I pair my BT headphones and make them trusted devices.

scjjtt, Hook and headcronie like this.