Review of the F(x) Tec Pro1 Keyboard Slider Smartphone (2019)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Sorry the trouble has been ongoing, but it would have been pretty cool back in the day to talk to Jeff Hawkins about a digitizer.

What I want to know is just what kind of halloween parties was Hookette at this year... wait, I take it back. I don't want to know. :eek:

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Hookette is anxious to slip into a Pro1X because she knows as soon as I get it the Pro1 is going to become both experimental guinea pig and learning lab. :vbeek: :vbwink::vbcool:

Fingers crossed, I might have found another variable. The demons were here, then I found that the horizontal bottom of the screen, the part that clicks back against the surface behind the keyboard, had a gap between the screen frame and the screen backplate. It's possible I introduced that gap when I put the screen back together although I though I had really made sure that I had snapped all around. That is the hardest edge to do because the hinge restricts angle of access. But I pressed where I knew the clips were, got a couple of snaps and powered up and the demons are gone. I just typed this whole post on my pro1.

I'll have wait 24 hours before being sure. Yesterday it took 3 hours for the demons to come back rushing in.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. Hook

Sadly, no go. Took only 2 hours and 45 minutes for the demons to come back with a new symptom. Aside from phantom touches setting things off, it started registering actual touches elsewhere on the screen, so if I tapped for network settings I got display settings, for example. Took me 5 or 10 minutes to figure out how to get the phone to register the power off option.

I give up. There is something truly fundamentally wrong with this display and I will await it's replacement, as painful as it is to go back to using just a slab. Don't get me wrong. The Moto G8 Power is a very nice slab. But it is just a slab.

4. Hook

So Hookette's London adventure kind of stole everything away from this thread. Today, they released official Lineage 18.1, which puts Android 11 on my phone with up-to-date security patches. I have it all set up and nicely rooted. However the nice surprise is Verizon works out of the box on Leaneage 18.1/ No fancy juggling-- just pop in the sim, throw a few switches on the phone menu and boom, everything works. So it looks like Hookette is no longer a PDA and Etta is a backup phone. :thumbsup: :newpalm:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  5. Hook

Oh, look! My 20,000th post!

So, after getting Verizon working out of the box with Lineage 18.1, I've decided to deconverge again and make Etta (the MOTO G8 Power) my phone again and Hookette my PDA (although I'm trying out $15/month T-Mobile pln to make her independent rather than relying on havng Etta as a hotspot).

Frankly, it has been a nice and intuitive functional split, but the deciding factor is continuing problems with something in the BT stack the Pro1 uses. It fails to make the right connection in the car so that phone calls don't get pushed to the car mic and speakers making handsfree phone calls impossible. And while I vary rarely even use the phone in the car, as the home health care for Mrs. Hook, I absolutely must be able to have her contact me when I am out in the car. Hence, a deal breaker. This is a problem in stock Android as well as Lineage on the Pro1. Lineage can't fix because they use FxTec's blobs for BT.

So Etta has all my portrait apps (apps that refuse to do landscape under any conditions), which tend to be apps I only use when I'm out (AAA, Starbucks, etc), my phone, my sms and my music library (music for the car). Everything else and all my writing, editing and notes stuff is on Hookette. Mostly Hookette stays home (as do I), but if I know I will be waiting for something (doc appointment for Mrs Hook, waiting for takeout in my car, etc), Hookette will come along. This arrangement has been terrific these past months. I don't mind sometimes dealing with two devices. The lines separating the functions are still so clear. And now Hookette will have her own data too, so won't require juggling Etta in another pocket to use her hotspot.

We'll see, when I get my Pro1x, if they have fixed the BT blobs. It's a known and reported problem.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 5:22 PM
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Congrats on your 20,0000th post - we've enjoyed them all!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Mi An, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

20,000 posts? I demand a recount. ;)

Congratulations!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

congratulations1- blinking-SR.gif

9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Congrats, Hook! :newpalm: