Review of the F(x) Tec Pro1 Keyboard Slider Smartphone (2019)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

They own and make Moto phones. Hence the name sometimes coined of Motonovo. :vbwink:

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I can't keep up. :rolleyes:

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yep, Lenovo bought Motorola from Google right after Moto got the nod to make the Google Nexus 6. Of course, Lenovo only got it after Google pillaged all of Moto's rather extensive patents. Lenovo basically ended up with a MINO (Motorola in name only). That being said, I'm pretty happy with what Lenovo has done with the brand, especially most recently. They definitely took it a lot further than Google.

Meanwhile, I seem to have become quite the zealot -- two Lenovo/Moto phones in a row, and now a Lenovo Flex 5 Chromebook, too?

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if they only made cameras, too

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Amen! Honestly, after my recent move from VA to FL, I'm not even sure where my Samsung camera is. In VA it was desk decoration because of needing to be constantly charging, but I rarely used it in the last 5 years.

6. Hook

So, here is Etta's full journey on her way to delivery to me tomorrow by 10:30am.

Ettajourney.jpg

So, I can only conclude that Etta shares Hookette's fondness for truck stops. NC to VA via Kentucky, for God's sake! :vbrolleyes: It's a 3 hour drive on I85 from Greensboro, NC to Mechanicsville, VA. :vbgrin:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Does she qualify for frequent flyer miles (or are those a thing of the pre-covid past?)? Hope she enjoyed her day in Philly :vbrolleyes:

8. Hook

The Greatest PDA ever! :newpalm:
    So, I decided not to create a new thread/

Etta (short for Hooketta) arrived, a Moto G(8) Power. Her box was a little disheveled from all those truck stops, but the inside box was fine and so was she. I suspect my mistake was accepting free 2 day shipping-- apparently they had to actually find a way for it to take 2 days to make the 4 hour trip to my town. :vbrolleyes:

The Moto Power is a nice phone, I suspect pretty close to a Stylus without a, well, stylus. A touch wider and taller than my Pro 1, but not by much. Explored Android 10 a bit, disabled the home screen gestures so I could get back my 3 buttons at the bottom. Threw on Nova Launcher and set up all my comms apps (phone and messaging), and updated Android Auto (apparently it's baked into Android 10-- it isn't on Android 9. Threw on the few shopping type apps and anything else useful while I am out that isn't keyboard intensive. Hooked right up to the car and set up everything automagically, unlike with Lineage on the Pro 1. I'm back on my Verizon account. Despite all those years on AT&T, it's coverage seems no longer as good here, although the Pro 1s radios seem a bit weak as well. The camera seems nice, but I haven't explored it much.

And just like that, I'm de-converged, 11 years after my initial convergence to a Nokia (Symbian) smartphone. It took about 4 hours to set everything up. Etta goes in the car with me for navigation and communication and music. At home, where I spend most of my time these days and will for the forseeable future, she just sits on a desk somewhere. I don't get many calls on my cell, I encourage people to call my house phone. I'll also be pairing my watch with the new phone as that will probably be the phone I to my power walks with. Don't need a keyboard while exercising.

My Pro1 has become my truly fantastic WiFi PDA, the one I always wanted, doing all the things that benefit from a keyboard. Writing, editing, email, Browsing, Terminal linux stuff, notes, messaging without voice, etc. Which is what I do most of the time, but can now do it sitting in the front room in a reclyner with Mrs. Hook or in the back yard or on the deck or in bed or where ever away from my computers. If I know I am going to be somewhere for a while when I go in my car, it is easy to take both devices and, if where I am has nowifi I can use Etta's hotspot. But that doesn't happen often.

Haven't given it all enough real world testing yet, but I pleased with how natural the functional split feels. Etta will have to be okay with being ignored a lot.

There is just enough redundancy in function that one device can take over for the other if needed, but I doubt it will very soon.

And, no, I don't regret that coms and Android Auto don't fully work on the Pro 1 under Lineage any more than I care that Google Pay (which, admitedly, I don't use) doesn't work on a rooted phone with an unlocked bootloader. Those aren't the reasons I got a phone with keyboard. Sure, it would have been nice if everything all worked together, but I knew when I bought it this was the risk of buying an international phone.

And I don't mind that I paid for a more powerful Moto phone than I really needed. It probably works as smoothly as it does because it has a little more power behind it. I haven't explored the phone in detail, and I may not, but I'm sure, if I needed it, it could take over as my main phone (say something bad happened to my Pro 1).

This also leaves me free to experiment with the Pro 1 even more.

In all, not having to wrestle with Verizon and Android Auto, yet still being able to have the Pro 1 set up the way I want it set up. is worth an extra $200. They both still cost less than a flagship iPhone ot Samsung. :vbgrin:

Any interesting observations in this setup that I make, I'll update here.

9. Hook

I have to say, the battery and power management on the G8 Power is amazing. I charged it when I received it yesterday. It was at 100% when I took it off the charger at 10:30am Tuesday morning. It is now, Wed. afternoon at 95%. Yes, I have taken it on a couple of car trips, which tops it off, but not long ones. And yes, there is a lot of time where I don't use the phone. But heck, I spent 4 hours screen on setting it up. It seems to lose almost nothing passively.

Mi An, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I had read that the Snapdragon 66x series was very power efficient, and of course having a huge 5000 mAH battery must play big part, but still, that's a most impressive endurance!