Review of the F(x) Tec Pro1 Keyboard Slider Smartphone (2019)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Dec 25, 2019.

1. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Great review Hook, a jewel in a landscape of bland sameness and actually has hardware buttons!, you're right that it's not cheap, but a bit less than a top Apple if I convert my currency.
    Hope it goes well for ya

raspabalsa, jigwashere, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thanks for the recommendation, Hook! I like the visual design of the curved screen on my S10+, but I too get unintended taps, especially when removing the phone from a pocket. I just installed Edge Null and it works very well indeed. I left untouched the default 50 pixel wide "virtual bezel" setting, and will see if this has to be modified or not.

The Play Store app page for Edge Null says it has adds and IAPs, the latter presumably to get rid of the former. I haven't seen any add (courtesy of AdGuard, Im sure), but I don't see the IAP. I'd like to support the developer of Edge Null, but can't find where. Hook, have you seen the IAP?

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I can't find it either. But, yes, Adguard takes care of it. I can't even find a real web site for the app.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. raspabalsa

That's too bad. I like to support the developers of goods apps as this one.

I just found a curious glitch: with Edge Null enabled, if I touch or touch and hold any point on the disabled edges, the app works as it should and the phone does not detect the edge, while the taps on the rest of the screen work ok. But if I tap, hold, then slide along the edge, and hold the finger in place after sliding, then any tap on the rest of the screen is not detected for as long as I keep the finger on the edge. Once I lift the finger from the edge the rest of the screen works properly. Repeated tests confirm that this happens every time. Tap, slide along the edge, hold => touchscreen dies. Release edge => touchscreen back to normal. Hook, could you try and see if the same happens on your Pro 1?

EDIT: There's an option in Edge Null called "Detect Edge Swipes *Experimental*" that I'm sure has to do with the above glitch, but it seems to have no effect either enabled or disabled. I guess it's still very much experimental.

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Not sure how you discovered that, but the same thing happens here. Don't know how I would accidentally trigger that and as soon as you remove finger it is no longer in effect, so I probably don't care. It may be a feature rather than a bug, but I con't figure out what it would be used for. :vbrolleyes:

Looks like the only way to contact the developer is his gmail account.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. raspabalsa

Nothing mysterious, I assure you. I just wanted to test the app, so I enabled it then started tapping, holding, and swiping, like I was being payed to do so :D. Almost immediately I noticed that the touchscreen became unresponsive at times, so I started trying combinations of tap/hold/slide until I confirmed it was a regular glitch (or feature). I'm not troubled by this because I can't imagine ever doing the correct combination accidentally either. I'll let it be for the time being. I'm guessing the dev is working on this, so I'll wait. If he does indeed fix it - or explain it as a ground-breaking feature - then I'll contact him and ask about the IAP :newpalm: