Review of the F(x) Tec Pro1 Keyboard Slider Smartphone (2019)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

By the way, I did a factory reset wiping data. I couldn't do it the usual way because apparently the items on the system menu don't respond to being selected by the keyboard, so couldn't drill down without a touch screen. Luckily, recovery, which also has a factory reset and data wipe option does respond to the arrow and enter key on the keyboard. I did it to rule out that this was a software problem. Now I have a "Hello There" screen with a start button to begin Google setup and no usable touch screen. :vbrolleyes::vbgrin: So, no, it wasn't a software problem.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Is you have the adapters, you might be able to connect a USB mouse and interact with the device again. That won't fix the touchscreen, but could at least let you play some more while you wait for a resolution.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Hook

Yes, I can. I have done that-- don't even need adapters, can do it by BT.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I didn't think you could use a BT mouse without being able to use the touchscreen to turn on Bluetooth and initiate pairing.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  5. Hook

That could be, but it is all irrelevant now since it has been factory reset and wiped. I will leave it that way until I find out what will be done about it. I still have my Moto G8 Power running fine.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

OT of this thread but somewhat related, I hard reset my backup phone, the S5, hoping that this would stop it from turning itself off without my wishing to make it so. no such luck. so, it appears that my actual backup phone is a screen-cracked, battery-sucking iPhone 6s. hope the good juju for my moto g stylus continues.

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I hope the touchscreen gets fixed w/o too much drama. A romantic comedy, maybe...but no drama. ;)

8. Hook

Well, I contacted FxTec about the screen (including a really dull video of the touchscreen not working :vbrolleyes: ) and they got back to me in 24 hours. They will be sending me a new display under warranty (they agreed my 2 year warranty began when I received the Pro1 in Dec. 2019). This will be not just the screen, but the entire top half assembly of the phone (easy to install-- 5 screws and a cable).

Unfortunately, they won't have the display to send me until the Pro1xs are ready (they didn't say that, they jusy said they were out of stock and would be a long wait, but that's my guess). Still, the quick response and solving the problem without any run around is great. While the Pro1 displays seem to have issues, I have had nothing but great service from FxTec's Tech support. :thumbsup:

I can be patient. :vbsmile:

scjjtt, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Sorry to hear about the trouble, you and rick. Glad to hear fxtec is still on the ball though, hope they come through faster than expected.

I'm on my backup phone at the moment. Loaned my pixel out to a family member in need. My Z Play is 5 and half years old and actually still pretty strong. It does this weird thing where the google play store lags when displaying/sorting installed apps and apps waiting for an update, stuff like that, like several minutes, sometimes have to back out and get back in, I assume it's some sort of incompatibility between the old os and newer play store versions or maybe it just needs a fresh install to clear out some cobwebs, but everything else is good enough, especially considering it was a midrange phone to begin with.

Remember when these things were choking on basic software right from their launch date? RAM bottlenecks and presnapdragon cpus were the worst. I like to complain about modern computing in all kinds of ways, but the hardware really started outpacing software inefficiency in a big way. And arm has come a long way too relative to x86/amd64. Those apple m1s really sound like they're really powerful, but even qualcomm has been doing very nicely for years. And on top of all that, I'm seeing big batteries getting serious consideration from moronic tech reviewers these days... would've killed for that kind of attention to battery life vs. thinness not that many years ago.

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook, why wouldn't it get through customs?

scjjtt likes this.