Review: MyCallLog - freeware !

Discussion in 'Applications/Utilities (Palm OS)' started by holvoetn, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

One of the missing features on Treo680 smartphone is a decent call log.
    You can use the standard call log to verify when certain calls where made, received or missed but there is no ability to see the duration nor to have some basic overview reports. Some people need to know for example how many calls they made with a certain person during a month and how long to declare this as billable time for the project they are working on.

There are various 3th party tools available filling this gap either on device or desktop side (some covering both) but there is also a freeware alternative provided by BH member payalba.
    MyCallLog is created primarily for Treo 680 but should work on any OS5 Treo device according to the installation requirements.
    Installation is done like for any PalmOS program but the first time I used it on my Treo 680 it resulted in a crash. This never happened anymore after that so I suspect some initialization issues were acting up.

MyCallLog has 8 views. Each of the views has in most cases the ability to filter categories of calls (in, out, missed) or has the ability to apply additional filtering like duration, date, time, local or roaming.
    You can also specify in each of the views the start and end time of the period to be analyzed.
    First there is the normal call log, this is a simple list of all calls made (in, out, missed). From this view all details can be seen by selecting a call, it is also possible to select a contact and start composing a message or start dialing.
    (Normal view)
    [​IMG]

The next 2 views provide user specific overviews for duration and frequency. You can see how long or how many times you have called with all listed contacts or with one contact in particular.
    Following this are 2 views providing similar info but on a monthly basis. You can see how long and how many times you used your phone during a certain month.
    (Monthly view with Frequency)
    [​IMG]

The General view provides a one screen overview of duration and frequency of calls split over two tables. The columns define the split between Total, Local and roaming. The rows represent total, incoming, missed and outgoing.
    (General view)
    [​IMG]

Details/user or details/month give you a similar view as General but here you can filter for one specific Contact or month.

MyCallLog requires some processing to calculate all the totals and this is done every time the application is being launched. So even when no new calls were processed, every launch of MyCallLog will result in this calculation being done. This can be a bit annoying, especially when the call log database becomes bigger and bigger. My current database worth 4 months of calls contains 1181 events in total and takes a bit more then 10 seconds to be processed.

MyCallLog has a surprisingly small number of configuration options. You can specify the foreground and background color for each even or odd row to increase visibility and that is it. Nothing more.

As far as I could see there are only a few minor bugs in this program. Apart from the initial crash I had at first installation, I did not encounter a single problem later on with stability. Some screens still show some French left-overs from the translation (mainly accented characters), but I classify that under minor cosmetic topic.
    One point which is to be taken into account is the lack of ability to trim down the call log database. It simply grows and grows as you use your device as a phone. After some months this slowly gets noticeable when doing a hotsync.
    Fortunately the standard call log database is being used which on one hand makes it very strange the internal level of detail is not used by the standard Call Log feature within Phone (esp. duration), on the other hand it means the purge feature provided by Phone can be used to compensate for the lack of this feature within MyCallLog. But this is limited to say the least Only options are older then 1 week / 1 month / 2 months, all except last 10 or all. It would be nice if a wider range of options was included in MyCallLog as well as an option to define a cut-off date.

DISCLAIMER:
    do NOT show the results of MyCallLog to your partner when you know she/he is sensitive to knowing she/he is not the one being called the most. Failure to do so may result in unpleasant consequences. Do not come back telling you have not been warned. :D

Overall I give this application a 4.5 out of 5 stars (with the only drawback for me being the reprocessing of data every time the app is launched).

MyCallLog can be downloaded FOR FREE from this location as zip file (English version).

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I would be very interested to know if people using other types of Treo (650, 700p, 755p) are also able to use this application.

3. Haisook

Haisook Med Student

Nice review, H. -- Thanks.

I don't own a Treo, but I understand how useful this would be. :)

4. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Great review, H! I'll be sure to cover it in this week's 1SRC podcast! And hats off to payalba for releasing a cool new app for free.

Alan G

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Call log eh? I've made... 3 calls now. :eek: This app may come in handy after I get into the full swing of it. Thanks for the tip.

I could swear I've seen that rating system before. ;) Feel free to drop a link or snippet or whatever you'd like of this into the reviews thread if you'd like. After all, it is freeware. :D

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I've just installed this on my 755p. It works quite well, and I didn't have an initial crash upon install either. Then again, I beamed it from my TE. Funny, on the TE, it complained that it couldn't find the call log database. :D

7. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

Nice review, holvoetn.

If you're willing to spend a few bucks, Natara's Comet is a rather full-featured call log tool that has a purge feature to trim the database back to any specified date.

Another freeware is CallLog Tools which allows you to update the call log to replace the "Unknown Caller" type entries if you've since added those folks to your Contacts. It also lets you export your call log to a CSV file on your SD card.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Nice review, Holvy. Thanks a lot. I just installed and tested it on a friend's 650 and he was very pleased with it. Here's some observations:
    No crash on the 650 during or after installation. I downloaded it with my TX, then beamed it directly to 650's main memory, no problem at all. Program runs smoothly enough.
    Actually, the processing is done not only when program is launched, but also in mid-run. On my friend's 650 the processing happened twice on a single run (without exiting the program), but we were doing so much testing that I'm not sure what event triggered the re-processing. Maybe he even initiated a call from within MyCallLog, I think this could have marked the log db as modified, forcing the re-processing.
    My friend's log is two years worth of calls. Only the calls made to his older son in this year number more than 400, so I'm sure the total number of calls in the log is at least 4000! Still, the processing of the info for this year took about 40 seconds. Annoying, true, but not much, in my friend's opinion.
    Yes, that's one feature that could be improved. Some observations my friend and I have: Possibility to select what info to show in the columns, such as file managers have. Possibility to sort columns by various criteria, i.e.: not only alphabetically by name as it is now, but by duration of calls, number of calls, etc.

Overall, it's a very nice program and a most useful too. Kudos to payalba for this program, and thanks for making it freeware too :newpalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.