restoring from card (nv backup)

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wcwood, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wcwood

wcwood "I'm sorry. What?"

I just got my TX back from repair...Shawn, Used PDA Parts (excellent service and work)...... He put in a new PC board, so what I have is all the basic stuff that comes on the TX. Prior to service, I have been backing up to a card, and now need to download from the card to the TX.

Frankly, I'm concerned I will end up doing a backup of a clean TX, and inadvertently wipe out what I have on my card. Any guidance will be appreciated.

W.C.

2. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

What you are looking to do first is a restore. That will put everything back the way you had it before you sent the unit in. When you put the card in, you should have a copy of NVBackup (the program) on the card that will show up in the card category (NVBackup puts it there the first time it backs up). Just launch it, you should see all your backups listed, select the one you want to restore and hit restore. :)

3. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

I don't think you will have a problem, I have had 4 Refurbished TXs that I simply Restored my previous info to and they all looked and acted like my previous TX.

Insert the card and (if necessary) go to the Card Category (top right corner).
    Launch NVBackup
    Agree to everything
    Select (Tap) the backup (If you are still worried then select an older backup first to test it, assuming you have more than one backup)
    Tap 'Restore'
    You will be told that the device will Reset after the backup is complete.

I do a few Restores a week using NVBackup, after testing apps and finding I don't want them, and I have never had a problem :)

Actually: I do a backup of the 'clean' TX before Restoring, Alex Pruss said that Restoring this 'clean' backup is basically the same as doing a Hard Reset so it may come in handy sometime :D

All the best, woz of oz

4. wcwood

Hook -
    Thanks for the guidance It's doing its thing now. BTW - It may have been your recommendation, but I sent my mostly dead 2 yr. old TX to Shawn, instead of another place. He put in a board and a battery, and it's like new.

Many thanks to you and the others for help received.

W.C.

P.S. The restore just finished. All my 3rd party apps are up and running. Great!

5. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Also, just to be safe, before attempting the restore, you may want to backup your SD card to your computer. (That's what I'd do, since having only one copy of important stuff makes me nervous.)

EDIT: I see you've already successfully done the restore! Great! But I'd still recommend you do regular backups of the SD card to your computer. That way, if your TX got lost/stolen with the SD card in it, you can at least restore much of your data to a new device.

6. wcwood

Thanks, wozofoz. One of the best things I ever did was start using NV Backup. But I have to give the credit to BH Forum. Most of the useful apps I have on my TX I learned about here.

W.C.

7. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Same here. :newpalm:

8. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Yes, Shawn is outstanding. Did the exact same thing to Hookette and she is like new. Best <$100 PDA on the planet. ;) Glad everything worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.