Resetting a used Palm TX.

Discussion in 'Palm' started by salamence502, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salamence502

salamence502 Newbie

Hello! I bought a used Palm TX and I would like to reset everything to the factory condition, erase the other person's data, like the first startup (seeing the Screen caliberation, time & date setup). And I do not want to lose the applications (VersaMail, Calendar, Contacts, ect.) that came with the PDA.

I've read about a Hard Reset, but I'm not sure if that erases ALL THE APPS or leaves the Palm apps.

Is there any way to do that?

2. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Welcome to BrightHand, salamamence502!

What you need to do is called a "Hard Reset". This will erase all the user data and installed programs, while leaving all the original programs intact and clean. It will put the TX back into the "out of the box" condition.

Press and hold the Power button up top, then tap and release the tiny "Reset" button in the back of the unit. Two screens will show up: the first one will have an organge Palm logo on it and will disappear after a short time. The second will have a large grey-colored Palm logo. When you see the second screen, release the power button.

If you did it correctly, you'll have a warning screen asking you in five languages, "Erase all data, Y/N?" Press the up direction on the 5-way navigator pad in front and it will do its thing, erasing and reinstalling the original programs.

You'll hear this subject mentioned many times in this forum. The Hard Reset is the last resort to fix some problems caused by incompatible software. There are other resets available too, the Soft reset is a common one. It simply reboots the unit and is accomplished by just tapping the Reset button without holding anything else.

If you have prior information ready to HotSync to your new TX, I'd recommend you read the sticky post by Dick Tracy on "How to Upgrade your Palm to a TX".

WyreNut

3. doogie

doogie Dog-Eat-Dog World Citizen

salamence502--

Just to build on what WyreNut suggested, a hard reset WILL delete all programs on the Palm EXCEPT for those programs that are resident in the Read Only Memory (ROM), which are undeleteable. If you have the CD that came with your TX, you can re-install any RAM-based software that were included on the CD, but they WILL be deleted with the Hard Reset. Similarly, any third-party software resident on the Palm that isn't on the CD will be lost.

It may be worthwhile to make a copy of the contents of the PDA before hard-resetting it. Note that any commercial software that was "registered" beforehand may no longer work after a hard-reset and re-load because the registration is based on the name you use to hot-sync the device.

4. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

To add on what has been said before, a hard reset will clean up an older Palm.

It will not clean up a TX or any other Palm with NVFS (that's all the newer ones)!

To totally clean up a TX or other NVFS Palm, you need to do a zero-out reset. You can see this type of reset described in Palm's Knowledge Base article 887.

Yes, I know that it hasn't been updated since it was first written - that's why it refers to only the T5 and 650. Those were the first NVFS handhelds. It does still apply to newer NVFS handhelds even though they are not specifically listed.

5. Heather Cullen

Heather Cullen Mobile Deity

Welcome to the board and the Palm community. I just wanted to provide a link to help you while you get to know your TX:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/tx/

The link provides valuable information regarding your new handheld.

Congrats again!

Heather

6. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, salamence502. Have you done it yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.